If someone’s reckless or negligent behavior injured you in the New Orleans area, you have the right to file a monetary compensation claim. This financial reward can help cover lost income, medical bills, mental anguish, and other injury-related expenses. Our New Orleans personal injury lawyers can help.
The legal experts at Morris Bart, LLC can provide counsel and guidance so that you can seek a fair settlement or court award for your injuries or your loved one’s wrongful death. We are here to answer your questions about claims, settlements, and the legal process. You can start with a free consultation today.
New Orleans Personal Injury Lawyer Resources and FAQs
- Is It Worth Getting a New Orleans Personal Injury Attorney?
- When Should I Contact a New Orleans Personal Injury Lawyer?
- What Is the Statute of Limitations in Louisiana?
- How Will a New Orleans Personal Injury Lawyer Prove My Case?
- What Is the Usual Fee for a Personal Injury Lawyer?
- How a New Orleans Personal Injury Lawyer Can Help Your Claim
- What Kind of Cases do Personal Injury Lawyers Handle in New Orleans?
- Client Testimonials: Hear What Others Say About What It’s Like to Work With Us
- Call Our New Orleans Personal Injury Lawyers for a Free Case Consultation Today
Is It Worth Getting a New Orleans Personal Injury Attorney?
In most cases, hiring a New Orleans personal injury lawyer will be worth paying a contingency fee. Insurance companies will try to trick you into making statements that can cause your settlement to be lower, and they can even trick you into giving up any right to a settlement at all. They know they can’t get away with it if you have an experienced attorney.
If you attempt to handle your claim on your own and then find that you’re in over your head, you may eventually decide to hire a personal injury attorney. Unfortunately, by that point, you may have inadvertently damaged your ability to get a fair settlement. Therefore, it’s best to bring lawyers in from day one so that they can make sure you’re prepared.
When Should I Contact a New Orleans Personal Injury Lawyer?
We always recommend you discuss your case with an attorney as soon as possible to avoid the risk of forgoing your opportunity to pursue compensation to which you may be entitled.
The sooner you call our personal injury lawyers in New Orleans for legal representation, the better. Every day you wait to file a claim is another day that witness memories can fade, and evidence can be lost.
Our personal injury legal team advises you to begin the process as soon as possible following the accident. This allows us time to investigate and interview witnesses while their memories are fresh.
What Is the Statute of Limitations in Louisiana?
Additionally, you’ll have to keep the statute of limitations in mind. Here in Louisiana, you only have one year to file most types of civil claims, according to La. Civ. Code Art. 3492. You generally have one year from the decedent’s death date to file a wrongful death lawsuit, per La. Civ. Code Art. 2315.2.
This is less time to file a claim than you would have in other states. Once 12 months have passed, you’ll be barred from filing a civil suit unless:
- At the time of the accident, you were a minor. If this is the case, when you turn 18, you will have one year to file your claim.
- Your injuries weren’t evident when the accident occurred.
For a free legal consultation with a Personal Injury lawyer serving New Orleans, call (504) 613-4771
What Happens If You don’t File Your New Orleans Injury Case on Time?
Missing this one-year deadline means that you may not be able to receive money or compensation for your injuries. When you hire us, we’ll ensure you meet all your mandatory deadlines, assist you in obtaining the most equitable award possible, and try to make it happen in the shortest amount of time.
Estimating the timeline for a case can be difficult, as this depends on the details of each case and how proceedings go. Because of this, there is no average personal injury lawsuit timeline. Reaching a resolution might take a few months or even more than a year. However, our lawyers will guide you through each stage of the process while working toward fair compensation.
How Will a New Orleans Personal Injury Lawyer Prove My Case?
The point of a personal injury case is that you receive fair compensation equal to your losses. Although the money your personal injury attorney in New Orleans could get you may not restore your life to total wholeness, it might help you catch up.
While each case has its own merits, our law firm has pursued the following types of compensation for past clients:
- Past, current, and future medical costs
- Lost work wages and benefits
- Damaged personal property
- Pain and suffering
- Mental anguish
- Loss of enjoyment of life
- And any other type of applicable loss
Under Title 13 of the Louisiana Revised Statutes, an injured victim may claim damages from the negligent party. However, some states limit the amount of money the plaintiff can recover. In Louisiana, the damage cap changes based on the case type. Our legal team can help determine the cap for your case and explore all your options for recovery.
No two cases are exactly alike. From the severity of your injuries to the elements of your claim, there are several factors that lawyers, insurers, and civil courts consider when assigning value to your case.
One is the concept of comparative negligence. A personal injury lawyer in New Orleans can review the specifics of your case and fight for the compensation you need and deserve.
What Is the Usual Fee for a Personal Injury Lawyer?
If you’re concerned about the cost of hiring an attorney, you will have peace of mind knowing that we take cases on a contingency fee basis. This means we do not collect our legal fees unless and until we recover money in your case. This allows you to focus on the most critical matters, like your health and recovery from injuries. It also allows us to start on your case promptly.
When we have more to devote to your case, we can take care of important tasks, such as identifying all parties who demonstrated negligent actions, list all your losses, such as your accident-related medical bills, and anticipate and resolve any difficult issues that may arise.
How a New Orleans Personal Injury Lawyer Can Help Your Claim
There are many New Orleans personal injury lawyers, but at our law firm, we think a straightforward, transparent, and empathetic approach to law best serves your case. Here are three reasons why our clients like working with us:
- Experience: With over 100 lawyers on staff, we have a wide range of expertise and resources to evaluate the results of your case, regardless of how unique it may be. Chances are, we have already handled cases just like it.
- Results: Our team has won many cases through settlements and trial verdicts for New Orleans injury victims. We’ve secured compensation for thousands of victims across our 15 office locations.
- Priorities: Your health and well-being are our top priorities, in addition to securing the maximum compensation for which you may be entitled. Our lawyers are in your corner every step of the way.
We understand the aspects of fighting a personal injury claim on behalf of the injured in Louisiana. And when you work with us, you are hiring a firm that will treat you and your family with compassion, professionalism, and respect.
What Kind of Cases do Personal Injury Lawyers Handle in New Orleans?
If you suffered injuries in an accident, our New Orleans personal injury lawyers can handle your case. We will strive to represent your interests for the following Louisiana personal injury accident claim types:
- Car wrecks: After a car accident, insurance companies often try to get out of paying you what you deserve; however, a personal injury attorney from our firm can negotiate for a fair settlement. They can also ensure you don’t accept a settlement that falls short of meeting your post-accident needs. If you were in an accident with a rideshare vehicle, you can call us for help with this kind of passenger car accident as well.
- Truck accidents: When pursuing compensation for a truck accident, a personal injury lawyer can help you gather drivers’ logbooks, employment and training records, information from the semi’s data recorders, and more to prove your injury case. We represent clients in various truck accidents, including those involving commercial trucks, pickup trucks, moving trucks, delivery trucks, large commercial vans, and others.
- Motorcycle accidents: Winning a motorcycle accident claim can be complex and expensive. An experienced lawyer can provide guidance and vital legal assistance.
- Pedestrian accidents: A pedestrian accident can describe anything from unsafe conditions on the exterior of a building to a vehicle hitting a person.
- Slip and fall and premises liability: Slip and fall and premises liability can happen when a property owner is negligent in maintaining a safe environment. Our team will determine fault and get you fair compensation.
- Workers’ compensation: When a worker is injured on the job, they may be eligible for workers’ compensation. These case types need a lot of negotiating with the insurance firm tasked with covering the injury settlement on the employer’s behalf.
- Offshore injury and Jones Act: Because of the complex nature of these legal cases, our offshore injury and Jones Act attorneys will help you establish your seaman status and prove your injuries were sustained while working aboard a vessel.
- Wrongful death: Vehicular accidents, anesthesia malpractice, and emergency room medical errors are some of the wrongful death cases we handle.
- Medical malpractice: When a doctor or healthcare provider fails to deliver a standard of care and ends up hurting you or your loved one, you have grounds to file a medical malpractice lawsuit.
- Dangerous drugs: If a prescription drug hasn’t been appropriately tested and causes unexpected health problems for you, our product liability attorney team will protect your rights and assist you in recovering expenses for your injuries through a class action or mass tort suit. Defective drugs have no place in the market, so you can pursue compensation for damages you suffer after using them.
- Defective products: Defective products, including medical devices, can cause harm when they’re released without adequate testing. Our attorneys will investigate and find out if the manufacturer knew in advance that the product was faulty. If this is the case, you’re entitled to compensation for your pain and suffering, and we’ll help you get it.
You can trust your case with our firm with any legal issues you or a loved one faces. Once you become our client, we take care of your entire case from start to finish, giving you the time you or a loved one needs to recover. We will stand by your side throughout the process, ensuring you have the resources you need to make decisions that matter the most.
Client Testimonials: Hear What Others Say About What It’s Like to Work With Us
We’re grateful for our clients’ feedback because it helps ensure we’re giving our very best to everyone our personal injury team represents. In addition, client comments let us know we’re improving an individual’s circumstances during a difficult time in their life.
Here are testimonials from actual clients:
“I would advise anyone that’s been in an accident to look to Morris Bart to help you out in any kind of situation or case that you get in.”
- “Good experience, and my attorney walked me through the case step by step.”
- “I’ve never dealt with lawyers in my life, but I would never say a bad thing about Morris Bart.”
- “It was a great experience, and I appreciate everything you did for me.”
- “Morris Bart lived up to everything that his commercial says. The firm was very professional.”
You can read more about what our clients are saying on our testimonials page.
Call Our New Orleans Personal Injury Lawyers for a Free Case Consultation Today
The New Orleans personal injury lawyers at Morris Bart, LLC can evaluate your claim and estimate the damages you may be able to recover. Let us tell you how we can help your family. You do not have to face the insurance companies alone when you work with us.
At Morris Bart, our personal injury law firm has served the greater New Orleans metropolitan area since 1980. As a result, we know what it takes to see justice served in Louisiana. Contact us for a free case consultation today to learn more about your legal options concerning an insurance claim or lawsuit.
Serving the Entire Orleans Parish
Including but not limited to:
Questions?Call us, Louisiana.