Services like Uber and Lyft are great options, especially if you’ve had anything to drink. However, ridesharing drivers are human. They can make mistakes or behave negligently like anyone else. If you were injured by a driver’s carelessness in New Orleans, you have the right to pursue compensation for your losses.
You may be feeling overwhelmed or unsure of who is responsible for your ridesharing accident. The team at Morris Bart, LLC is here to help. We can determine the best course of action for pursuing compensation after your accident.
Recoverable Damages After a New Orleans Rideshare Accident
Every case is different, so there is no way we can estimate the exact damages you may be entitled to receive without first evaluating the details related to your case. That said, we have worked on many cases like these, and some common types of damages include:
- Medical expenses
- Ambulance rides
- Surgical procedures
- Medication, treatments
- Assistive devices
- Lost wages
- Future wages
- Pain and suffering
- Property damage
- Out-of-pocket costs
If your family member suffered severe injuries and did not survive, you may be able to recover compensation with the help of a New Orleans wrongful death lawyer. Some recoverable damages, in this case, are:
- Funeral and burial expenses
- Pain and suffering
- Medical expenses left to the family to recover
- Loss of consortium
- Loss of support and protection
- Benefits and wages previously provided by the deceased
For a free legal consultation with a Uber and Lyft Rideshare Accident lawyer serving New Orleans, call 800-537-8185
Injuries Resulting From Rideshare Accidents
There are a variety of injuries that passengers can experience as a result of an accident in an Uber or Lyft. Not all injuries are immediately apparent. That’s why all accidents should be taken seriously. Some common rideshare accident injuries include:
- Broken bones: These injuries can lead to other complications, such as infection if the bone pierces the skin.
- Internal bleeding: This type of injury is not always immediately apparent, and victims may not realize they are bleeding internally until their injury becomes life-threatening.
- Whiplash: This injury occurs when the head moves rapidly back and forth, and, while it usually heals within a few weeks with treatment, it can cause long-term pain.
- Traumatic brain injuries (TBIs): Car accidents are the second leading cause of TBIs, an injury commonly associated with death or disability in the U.S.
- Spinal cord injuries and other injuries to the back: While many victims live long, full lives with spinal cord injuries, the majority require assistive devices and experience a loss of feeling or mobility.
If you have been hurt in an Uber or Lyft accident, you are not alone. A rideshare accident attorney in New Orleans can help you determine your next steps.
New Orleans Uber and Lyft Rideshare Accident Lawyer Near Me 800-537-8185
Who Is Liable for Damages in a Rideshare Accident?
When you suffer injuries in a car accident, you can typically expect to hold the at-fault driver liable for negligence. If you were in a collision with a commercial vehicle, the company may be held responsible for their employee’s actions. However, liability is complicated when rideshare accidents occur. The party responsible for compensating you for your injury could be:
- Your rideshare driver
- Your rideshare driver’s personal auto insurer
- Uber or Lyft’s rideshare insurance
- Another individual driver
- A passenger responsible for causing a distraction
- A pedestrian or cyclist who caused a traffic accident
Why Is Liability in a Rideshare Accident Complicated?
Rideshare services like Uber and Lyft employ independent contractors who use their personal vehicles to give rides. Louisiana legally requires drivers to carry auto insurance, including bodily injury liability coverage for $15,000 per person and $30,000 per accident.
Drivers also have insurance coverage from the rideshare company. The confusion about liability often comes from determining whether or not the rideshare auto insurance is in effect.
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
Understanding Rideshare Auto Insurance
In 2015, Louisiana passed the Transportation Network Company Motor Vehicle Responsibility Law, which related specifically to ridesharing services like Lyft and Uber. The bill fills the gaps in insurance coverage to better protect both drivers and passengers.
According to the law, during the pre-trip acceptance period—when the driver has agreed to transport a passenger but has not yet picked them up—the rideshare company must provide $25,000 in bodily injury or death coverage for one person or $50,000 for all parties, as well as $25,000 in property damage.
Once the driver picks up the passenger and until that ride is over, Lyft and Uber must provide $1,000,000 in coverage for bodily injury, death, or property damattage. In addition, the company must also provide $1,000,000 in uninsured or underinsured motorist coverage.
How a New Orleans Uber and Lyft Rideshare Accident Lawyer Can Help
Getting compensation after a rideshare accident can be challenging. The drivers who work for these companies are not technically company employees. Therefore, Lyft and Uber may claim that they are not responsible for the driver’s behavior if they acted negligently. Some specific ways an attorney can help your case include:
- Gathering evidence related to the accident, including police reports
- Conferring with experts to determine exactly what happened
- Establishing liability
- Building a strong case to pursue full compensation your injuries warrant
- Negotiating with the legal team that represents Uber or Lyft
How Louisiana’s Statute of Limitations May Impact Your Claim
Louisiana Civil Code 3492 has a statute of limitations of only one year. That means you have one year from the date of the accident to file a lawsuit to recover any compensation related to your injuries or property damage.
You would file this lawsuit if you and the insurance company cannot reach a settlement on your claim before the deadline passed. If you miss this deadline, the courts could bar you from recovering compensation.
Call Morris Bart, LLC for a Free Consultation
If you have been in an accident while using an Uber or Lyft and are suffering as a result of your injuries, contact us today. We have worked on many cases like these and can help guide you through the process.
Call Morris Bart, LLC today to learn more about your potential claim. We’re available 24/7 to take your call. Our team of New Orleans Uber and Lyft rideshare accident lawyers are ready to defend your rights.
to find a Morris Bart office near you.