Compensation might be available if you suffered injuries in an accident involving a rideshare driver. This is true for:
- Rideshare passengers hurt in an Uber or Lyft vehicle
- Drivers hit by a rideshare driver
- Others suffering injuries caused by rideshare drivers
A Huntsville Uber and Lyft rideshare accident attorney from the Morris Bart law firm may be able to manage your claim and pursue financial recovery for you based on the damages you suffered. In addition, we provide free consultations for victims of rideshare accidents in Huntsville and elsewhere in northern Alabama.
Types of Damages Available in Uber and Lyft Ridesharing Accidents
If you were in a crash caused by a careless or reckless driver, you may be able to file an insurance claim or take other legal action to recover money damages. This is also true if the driver was working for a ridesharing company at the time. This could alter who provides the insurance coverage, but the process is generally the same.
The recoverable damages in accidents with ridesharing vehicles will depend on the details of the case and the costs and losses incurred. Some common examples include:
- Medical care costs, future treatment, and related expenses
- Ongoing care and support for lasting injuries
- Income missed while out of work
- Reduced capacity to work and earn if there are long-term impairments
- Property damages
- Pain and suffering
- Other intangible losses
Wrongful Death Cases Work Differently in Alabama, But Damages May Be Available
If your loved one died from the injuries they suffered in an Uber or Lyft accident, you might be able to recover damages in a wrongful death action. Under Ala. Code § 6-5-410, only punitive damages are available in Alabama wrongful death cases. This means the case will likely require you to go to trial and have the jury assign these non-compensatory damages.
Punitive damages penalize the liable party or parties for their negligent behavior that led to the death of your loved one. They are rare in most car accident cases in Alabama but available in wrongful death claims.
For a free legal consultation with a Uber and Lyft Rideshare Accident lawyer serving Huntsville, call (256) 666-3010
Work with Our Rideshare Accident Lawyers to Prove Your Case
At the Morris Bart law firm, our attorneys represent victims of traffic accidents. This includes car crashes, truck collisions, and more. We know how to handle cases involving buses, taxis, public transportation, and ridesharing vehicles. Ridesharing is much newer than these other methods of transportation, and the rules are somewhat different.
Still, we know how to navigate this claims process and recover compensation for our clients. If we work together, you can count on us to:
- Manage all communication with the insurers, rideshare company, and others
- Investigate what happened and gather support for your claim
- Determine which insurance policy is primary in your case
- Identify and value your damages
- File a claim and negotiate for a fair settlement
- Sue, if necessary
- Represent you based on a contingency fee, never any upfront costs
- Fight for the financial recovery we believe you deserve based on the case facts
Our law firm has 15 locations and serves all parts of Alabama, Arkansas, Louisiana, and Mississippi. Our Huntsville office is located at:
600 Boulevard South-Southwest, Suite 104
Huntsville, AL 35802
Our rideshare lawyers provide complimentary consultations for victims of Uber and Lyft accidents and their families. We can explain your rights, legal options, and viability of your case. So let us help you seek justice.
Huntsville Uber and Lyft Rideshare Accident Lawyer Near Me (256) 666-3010
Recovering Compensation for a Car Accident with Uber or Lyft
The proof necessary to document what happened, why, and the harm it caused is the same in a rideshare crash as in any other motor vehicle collision in Huntsville. However, ridesharing accidents are different because of how the insurance coverage works.
Because Lyft and Uber provide contingency or primary liability insurance coverage at some points during a rideshare driver’s cycle, we must determine what the driver was doing on the app at the time the collision occurred. If our client was in the vehicle, this is easy: The driver had a rider, and the company’s $1 million liability policy applies. Other points in the cycle are more challenging to pinpoint, though. For example:
- The driver’s insurance covers crashes while they are logged off
- The rideshare company provides secondary coverage when there is no rider matched with the driver
- The $1 million liability policy becomes the primary coverage as soon as the driver matches with a rider
To recover damages in an Uber or Lyft car accident case, we will need to:
- Investigate what happened and document negligence
- Prove which insurance policy was in effect
- File a claim and demand a settlement from that insurer
- Negotiate for a just payout
- Prepare and file a lawsuit if that becomes necessary
There Are Deadlines for Filing a Lawsuit in Huntsville, Alabama
We must pay close attention to the deadlines set by the state in these cases. While most settle without going to trial, we sometimes have to sue to ensure our clients get the best shot at recovering a fair payout. Under Alabama law, we generally have up to two years to begin a lawsuit, per Ala. Code § 6-2-38.
This deadline applies in both injury accidents and wrongful death cases. Missing the deadline could prevent us from taking any action and recovering compensation in your case. Circumstances could reduce the time you have to sue, as well. Let us get started to protect your right to sue as soon as possible.
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
Contact Our Office to Speak to an Uber or Lyft Rideshare Accident Lawyer Today
Our Uber and Lyft rideshare accident lawyers from the Morris Bart law office in Huntsville will review your options with you today for free. We handle ridesharing crashes regularly and know how important it can be to get started early. So connect with our office today by calling (256) 666-3010.
Questions?Call (256) 666-3010
to find a Morris Bart office near you.