Hit-and-run accidents can be tricky to handle. When the at-fault driver flees the scene of the accident, you may not know how you can seek compensation. Our Huntsville hit-and-run accident attorney could help you explore your legal options for recovering your losses.
At the Morris Bart law firm, we can conduct a thorough investigation of the accident. Just because the other driver left the scene of the crash does not mean you should be financially responsible for your losses.
How We Can Help on a Hit-and-Run Case in Huntsville
Our Huntsville car accident lawyer provides numerous services for all of our car accident injury clients, like performing an investigation, negotiating with the insurance company, reviewing settlement documents, and taking the case to trial if appropriate. Hit-and-run accident claims can require additional steps.
We can help the police try to locate the driver who fled the scene by talking to eyewitnesses. We may also review footage from red-light or security cameras in the neighborhood of the crash. If the at-fault driver cannot be located, we can help you file a claim with your insurer to recover the compensation you need.
For a free legal consultation with a Hit-and-Run Accident lawyer serving Huntsville, call 800-537-8185
Recoverable Damages in Hit-and-Run Collisions in Huntsville, Alabama
Every motor vehicle injury case is different. The amount of compensation you can pursue will depend on the unique facts of your situation.
Some damages you may be able to recover after a hit-and-run accident include:
- Lost income: You might not be able to go back to work immediately after the collision because you could need time to undergo medical procedures and recuperate from your wounds. If you did not get your regular pay during that time, your injury claim can include lost income.
- Medical expenses: Any medical treatments you had to pay for are typically compensable. We can help you recover compensation for your prescription medications, hospital stays, doctor’s appointments, X-rays, and assistive devices.
- Long-term care: If the crash left you with life-changing injuries, like severe head trauma, you might be unable to live independently afterward. We can help you file a claim to pay for the costs of ongoing care you need.
- Pain and suffering: The physical pain and suffering you experience after an accident is compensable. Although this loss does not have a direct monetary value, our team can assign a value to this loss to help you seek compensation.
- Wrongful death: If your loved one suffered fatal injuries, we might be able to file a wrongful death case that seeks additional compensation for surviving family members.
You will want to be sure to tell your Huntsville hit-and-run accident attorney about all of the losses you have experienced because of the crash.
Huntsville Hit-and-Run Accident Lawyer Near Me 800-537-8185
How Insurance Works on Hit-and-Run Cases in Huntsville
It might seem impossible to file an insurance claim for your medical expenses and lost income after a hit-and-run crash when you do not know the name or insurance information of the other driver. These cases can be difficult to navigate.
If you have uninsured motorist coverage on your own automobile insurance policy, that coverage could provide some help in paying your damages, according to the Alabama Department of Insurance (ALDOI). This approach makes sense because there is no insurance policy to pursue when no one knows the identity of the other driver.
Sometimes hit-and-run drivers eventually get caught or turn themselves in. If that happens in your situation, we can explain any legal options you would have.
Why Would a Hit-and-Run Driver Flee the Scene of an Accident?
After an accident, it’s expected that all parties involved will remain at the scene of the accident until police and first responders have ensured everyone is safe. However, some drivers fear the repercussions they will face if they are found liable for causing an accident. Some reasons why a driver might leave the scene of an accident they caused include:
- They were driving drunk or in the possession of drugs
- They are guilty of another crime and do not want the police to speak with them
- They are worried about the damage they caused and do not want to be held liable for the accident
- They do not have insurance or a valid driver’s license
Our team can analyze evidence such as surveillance footage and witness statements to try to locate the at-fault driver.
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
What to Do After a Huntsville Hit-and-Run Crash
It is essential to capture as many details as possible after a hit-and-run crash in the Huntsville area and share that information with the police. Even the most seemingly insignificant item, like a dent or non-standard hubcaps, could be the detail that helps the police find the perpetrator.
There are a few steps you can take after your hit-and-run accident to ensure your safety. When the other driver flees the accident scene, you should stay where you are. Call 911 and stay in a safe place until help arrives. You should turn on your hazard lights and make your car visible to other drivers to avoid more damage.
Some things that you will want to write down for the police can include:
- The make and model of the other car
- The color of the other vehicle
- The direction the car traveled when it left the scene of the accident
- The approximate age of the vehicle
- Any identifying features of the car, like a bumper sticker, rust spot, or custom work done after the vehicle was manufactured, like tinted windows
There might be other information the police could find useful, depending on your circumstances. If you are not able to take note of any details about the other car, do not worry. Our team can investigate to find out these details.
Get Started With Morris Bart & Associates, LLC on Your Huntsville Hit-and-Run Accident Case
The Morris Bart law firm does not shy away from challenging cases like hit-and-run accidents. We work tirelessly on behalf of our clients. We will support you throughout your case and offer responsive service.
You can call today to speak with a lawyer. We offer a free initial consultation with no obligation, by appointment only in Huntsville. Contact us today to get started.
to find a Morris Bart office near you.