If you were hurt while visiting a Huntsville property, you might be able to file a premises liability claim and seek compensation. This includes collecting damages relating to injuries suffered at stores, restaurants, private homes, and other places of business.
A premises liability lawyer in Huntsville with the Morris Bart law office may be able to help. We can review your case for free to determine your rights and options. And we can help you file a claim or pursue financial recovery through a lawsuit if necessary.
What Is a Premises Liability Accident?
Premises liability accidents occur when the victim suffers injuries on someone else’s property because of an unreasonable hazard. This can occur almost anywhere, including:
- A restaurant
- A grocery store
- A shop
- A shopping mall
- A private residence
- Other private property
- A stadium, theater, or concert hall
Some examples of accidents that could support a successful premises liability claim include:
- Slip and falls
- Trip and falls
- Drownings and pool accidents
- Elevator and escalator injuries
- Dog bites
- Deck and balcony collapses
- Burns and fire injuries
- Inadequate security
If you have supporting evidence, it may be possible to secure compensation for a claim based on the property owner’s homeowners or business liability insurance coverage. If the insurer refuses a fair payout, denies the claim, or there is no insurance policy, the victim may need to begin a lawsuit against the property owner or occupier.
In general, the landowner or lessee responsible for upkeep is the liable party in these cases. To prove negligence, victims must show:
- There was an unreasonable hazard
- The liable party knew about or should have known about the hazard
- The victim suffered harm as a result of the hazard
Our Huntsville premises liability lawyers know how to prove these cases and use the evidence we gather to support our demands for a fair settlement. We can also take the case to trial if needed.
For a free legal consultation with a Premises Liability lawyer serving Huntsville, call (256) 666-3010
Recoverable Damages in a Huntsville Premises Liability Injury Case
The compensation available in a Huntsville premises liability injury case depends on the damages the victim suffered. Some examples of expenses and losses our lawyer could help you recover include:
- Current treatment and care costs
- Future medical needs and related expenses as estimated by experts
- Lost income and reduced earning capacity
- Property damages and out-of-pocket costs
- Pain and suffering
When our Huntsville premises liability attorneys represent a client hurt on someone else’s property, we conduct an investigation. During this time, we work to prove negligence and liability and document our client’s recoverable losses.
We can then use this evidence to either support an insurance claim and pursue a fair settlement, or present it during a trial to bolster our argument for a just court award.
Alabama Has a Somewhat Unusual Wrongful Death Law
Under Alabama’s wrongful death statute, families cannot recover compensatory damages for the harm they suffered. Instead, only punitive damages are available.
Punitive damages penalize the negligent party, in this case the landowner or operator, for their carelessness or recklessness. The purpose is to persuade them to be more cautious in the future, as well as to help the family recover from the pain and losses they endured.
Our team can discuss your options for filing a wrongful death action with you during your free consultation if you believe you may qualify.
Huntsville Premises Liability Lawyer Near Me (256) 666-3010
Take Action Today to Ensure You Meet All Applicable Deadlines
Not all premises liability claims settle out of court. In some cases, our attorneys need to build a strong argument for compensation and present it to a judge and jury during a civil trial. Some deadlines apply to how long victims have to do this. They include:
- Two years from the date of the incident in a personal injury case ( Code § 6-2-38)
- Two years from the day your loved one passed in a wrongful death case ( Code § 6-5-410)
These deadlines could change depending on the case’s specific circumstances. When we manage a premises liability injury case, we need to get started as soon as possible in order to meet the deadline. Let us determine how long you have by setting up your free case review today.
Morris Bart & Associates, LLC, Manages Cases for Premises Liability Accident Victims in Huntsville
The Morris Bart law firm has spent the past 40 years seeking justice for personal injury accident victims. With 16 locations across Alabama, Arkansas, Louisiana, and Mississippi, our contingency fee firm takes steps to:
- Protect our clients’ rights
- Prove what happened to cause their injuries
- Identify the liable party or parties
- Support their claim
- Negotiate a fair settlement
- Present a solid case to the judge and jury during trial
- Recover appropriate compensation based on their damages
In 2019, our team recovered compensation for more than 6,500 clients. Some of our recent case results include:
- $852,845 for a car accident in New Orleans that caused injuries to the victim’s neck, back, and face
- $650,000 in a Monroe, LA, drunk driving crash that left the victim with numerous broken bones and punctured lungs
- $640,000 in a workers’ compensation case in Lafayette, LA, based on the victim’s back and neck injuries, hip tendinosis, and headaches
- $580,000 for a traffic accident in Hattiesburg, MS, that required the victim to undergo spinal surgery
- $550,000 after a hit and run collision in Shreveport, LA, caused the victim to suffer a protruding and herniated disc that required spinal surgery
- $490,000 in a Hattiesburg, MS, truck accident that left the victim with neck and back injuries
We can make an appointment for you to speak with an attorney.
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
Discuss Your Legal Options With a Team Member Serving Huntsville for Free
To learn more about the strength of your personal injury case and how a premises liability lawyer in Huntsville with the Morris Bart law office may be able to help, call our Huntsville office for your free case review. We provide this service by appointment only.
Call us or fill out our online contact form now to make an appointment to speak with one of our attorneys about your options for holding the property owner accountable.
Questions?Call (256) 666-3010
to find a Morris Bart office near you.