Lyft is widely used throughout Alabama as a convenient way to travel from point A to B, so accidents involving a Lyft driver are not uncommon. As with any other motorist, these drivers can act negligently behind the wheel. However, the process of seeking compensation in these scenarios is more complex since the rideshare company is often involved.
If you were in a car accident with a Lyft driver, you could pursue compensation to cover hospital bills, wage loss, property damages, and any other accident-related losses. Whether or not you hold Lyft liable for an accident in Alabama depends on the rideshare driver’s status at the time of the collision. Specifically, they must have been active on the app for Lyft’s liability insurance coverage to apply.
Who Can Pursue a Lyft Accident Claim?
A few scenarios can make you eligible to seek compensation through a Lyft accident claim. To be able to file a personal injury claim against Lyft, you must be:
- A Lyft passenger who incurred injuries because of the Lyft driver’s negligence
- An occupant of the other vehicle that collided with the Lyft
- A biker, cyclist, pedestrian, or any other road user that sustained injuries because of a Lyft driver’s negligent actions
- A Lyft driver who was injured by another driver’s negligence
Note that other parties may also be responsible for your damages, depending on the accident’s circumstances.
For a free legal consultation, call 800-537-8185
When Can You Hold Lyft Liable for an Accident?
Injured parties could hold Lyft accountable if a Lyft driver caused the collision or if the company engaged in the accident in another way, such as not conducting a background check on a driver who has a recorded history of DWI.
Lyft has an insurance policy that may come into effect when there is a Lyft accident. This applies even if the driver already carried commercial or personal liability coverage.
How Lyft’s Primary Liability Insurance Works
If the driver has the Lyft app off when the accident occurs, they are considered “offline” at the time of the collision. In this case, you may not be eligible to file a claim against Lyft for the off-duty driver’s negligence. Instead, you will have to treat it as a regular car wreck and file a claim against the at-fault driver’s personal liability insurance.
However, if the driver is online and waiting for a rider when the accident happens, Lyft could provide the following coverage:
- $50,000 per person for bodily injury
- $100,000 per accident for bodily injury
- $25,000 per accident for property damage
If the driver is online and picking up and transporting the passengers when the accident occurs, Lyft will provide up to $1 million in third-party auto liability coverage.
What Should You Do After a Lyft Car Accident?
If you have been in a car accident involving a Lyft driver:
- Call 911 right away. This establishes that there was an accident, and you can use the police report as a critical piece of evidence when proving the driver’s negligence.
- Take photos and/or videos of the accident scene. Consider taking pictures that exhibit any injuries, damages, the road condition, and the weather during the time of the accident.
- Take screenshots of your ride receipts and reservations if you were a passenger in the Lyft when an accident occurred.
- Get the Lyft driver’s information, along with the contact information of any eyewitnesses that saw what happened.
If the accident occurs during a Lyft ride, passengers can also report the accident through the Lyft app. The Claims Customer Care Team will guide you through the next steps, investigate the accident, and contact you after a few days. Still, you want to consider hiring a lawyer to protect your rights.
Why Hire a Lyft Accident Attorney
Hiring a Lyft accident attorney ensures that your rights stay protected and you have someone fighting for your right to financial recovery, even as you continue to heal from your injuries. A lawyer can go over who may be liable in your case and determine how best to proceed with seeking compensation from Lyft’s insurance policy or another third party.
Then, your legal representatives can take over the civil claim filing process for you. This includes building a case with solid evidence, calculating your case’s overall value, and communicating with all other parties on your behalf.
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
Speak With Our Lyft Accident Lawyer to File a Claim
Contact Morris Bart & Associates, LLC if you or a loved one has suffered injuries in a Lyft accident collision, contact Morris Bart & Associates, LLC. Our Lyft accident lawyers understand the complexities of these cases. We can investigate your collision and negotiate a fair settlement with all liable parties on your behalf.
During your initial, no-fee consultation with us, we will listen to your case, address your concerns, and answer any questions you may have. We serve cities across Alabama, including Birmingham, Decatur, Hoover, Huntsville, Mobile, and Montgomery.Call now for a free consultation: (800) 537-8185.
to find a Morris Bart office near you.