When property owners, drivers, medical professionals, or employers behave in a reckless or negligent manner, it creates potentially dangerous situations for others. Many times, these actions lead to severe injuries and even death.
If you or a loved one becomes the victim of someone else’s negligence, you have the right to seek compensation for pain, suffering, lost wages, and medical bills. To do so, you have to prove that the other party’s actions caused your damages due to a breach in their duty of care.
Hiring a Gretna personal injury lawyer can help you prepare your case for an insurance claim or personal injury lawsuit. Even if the insurer or representation for the negligent party tries to argue that your injuries are not as serious as you claim, an attorney can study the facts in the case to help strengthen your argument. Call the Morris Bart law firm today (504) 613-4771 for a free case review.
Car Accident Injuries
One of the most common types of personal injury accidents involves a motor vehicle collision. There are many ways a driver could be found negligent for creating a dangerous situation on Louisiana roads, leading to injuries for other parties. These are just a few examples:
- Traffic violations: where the other driver committed a basic traffic violation just before or during the auto accident, including speeding, making an illegal turn, tailgating, or failing to maintain a lane.
- Drunken driving: where the other driver consumed alcohol or drugs before climbing behind the wheel. State law prohibits driving while intoxicated with a BAC limit of 0.08%, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). However, any amount of intoxication can potentially lead to an accident due to lowered inhibitions and poor judgment.
- Distracted driving: where a driver is using a smartphone or performing another action inside the car that takes his or her attention away from the road. This violates state statutes related to distracted driving, according to the Louisiana Highway Safety Commission.
- Unsafe equipment: where a truck driver operates a truck that has not undergone the proper safety inspections, leading to a mechanical problem that causes the driver to lose control and cause an accident.
If you believe another driver’s negligent actions led to your injuries in a collision, you may want to hire a Gretna personal injury lawyer. At the Morris Bart law firm, our team is ready to represent our clients’ interests against insurance companies and in court, working to obtain fair compensation. Contact us at (504) 613-4771 for a free consultation today.
For a free legal consultation with a Personal Injury lawyer serving Gretna, call 800-537-8185
Medical Malpractice Injuries
Another potential personal injury case can involve medical malpractice. These occur when a doctor or another medical professional attempts to treat a condition or perform a procedure, but a negligent action leads to further injuries and potentially life-long health complications.
In cases like this, you have the right to bring a medical malpractice claim or lawsuit against the doctor. You can seek compensation for the costs of your additional injuries, as well as any mental trauma the negligence caused for you. Some examples of medical malpractice include:
- Failure to diagnose an illness.
- Failure to treat an illness.
- Unnecessary surgery.
- Failure to remove all surgical tools from inside the body.
- Misinterpreting results of testing.
- Ignoring a patient’s medical history.
- Giving the patient an unsafe medication.
Holding the Doctor Responsible
Some people do not feel comfortable bringing a medical malpractice lawsuit against a doctor, preferring to focus on recovering from the injuries and wanting to move on from the entire incident.
However, by bringing a malpractice lawsuit, you have the ability to hold the negligent doctor responsible for his or her actions, which may help prevent future patients from suffering the same injuries you did.
Gretna Personal Injury Lawyer Near Me 800-537-8185
Other Types of Personal Injury Lawsuits
Even though car accidents and medical malpractice lawsuits are two of the more common reasons for personal injury, other events can lead to these types of cases as well.
Any time you can show that another person or organization created an unsafe situation for you that resulted in injuries or mental trauma, you have the right to file a personal injury lawsuit or claim. As long as you can follow the Louisiana state legislature statute regarding the one-year deadline for filing a personal injury lawsuit, you may be eligible to seek damages. The following sections outline additional types of personal injury cases.
Slip and Fall Accident
When visiting someone else’s property, the property owner has a duty to provide a safe space. If the property owner does not perform reasonable repairs and maintenance to sidewalks, yards, stairwells, pool decks, and other areas, it could cause someone to fall and injure themselves, resulting in a personal injury case.
Nursing Home Accidents
When you entrust a nursing home with your loved one’s health, you expect proper treatment to occur. Although it is safe the majority of the time, nursing home personnel can act negligently in several ways that may lead to an injury for your loved one. These negligent actions may include:
- Physical abuse.
- Mental abuse.
- Improper medication.
- Failure to maintain a clean environment.
- Failure to protect against falls.
- Withholding medical care.
- Failure to respond to calls for help.
An employer should maintain a safe working environment for all employees. This involves providing the proper training to all employees, while also giving them safe equipment to use. If you suffer an injury at a worksite because of negligence, you can file a workers’ compensation claim.
We Are Ready to Defend Your Right to Receive Damages
After you suffer injuries because of someone else’s negligence, you could face a long and expensive road to recovery. This can leave you with permanent injuries that greatly reduce your quality of life and ability to work.
Even if your injuries are less severe, you may still face significant medical bills, several weeks of lost wages while you recover, and mental trauma related to the accident. Either way, you have the right to seek compensation.
If you are seeking a Gretna personal injury lawyer, the team at the Morris Bart law firm is ready to stand by your side throughout the process. We can negotiate with the insurance company on your behalf and represent you in court if you cannot reach a fair settlement. Call us at (504) 613-4771 for a free review of your case.
to find a Morris Bart office near you.