Commercial trucks are massive and powerful. When they collide with other vehicles or obstructions on the road, the outcome is more severe than accidents involving passenger cars. In a 2016 large truck and bus crash analysis by the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA), 104,000 collisions involving commercial trucks resulted in injuries and 3,864 resulted in fatalities.
In the aftermath of such a collision, as you heal and recover, we suggest you hire a Gretna truck accident lawyer from the Morris Bart law firm. Our truck accident lawyers will provide you with legal representation and assist you in getting the compensation you deserve. Talk to us today at (504) 613-4771 for a free consultation.
Types of Truck Accidents
FMCSA discovered that a variety of situations give rise to truck accidents across the United States. In each circumstance, the results lean towards extensive property damage, severe personal injuries, and often, an increase in fatality. The following are the top ways that truck accidents occur.
- Rollover accidents. Touted as the most common type of truck accident, rollovers carry a higher fatality rate than other types of vehicle collisions. Factors that can cause a truck to tip over onto its side or roof include collisions with other vehicles, poor execution of turns, or uneven loads.
- Side-swipe accidents. These accidents occur when two vehicles are moving in the same direction collide with each other, with the right side of one vehicle impacting the left side of the other. A side-swipe accident can happen if a truck driver switches lanes recklessly or without checking their blind spots.
- T-bone collisions. Another common form of truck accident, these occur when a truck hits another vehicle directly on its side. Factors that result in T-bone accidents include inattentiveness to traffic, speeding, distracted driving, and engaging in other reckless behavior while behind the wheel.
- Rear-end accidents. You have seen this type of truck accident on the road or your television screen. Here, a truck hits another vehicle from behind. Rear-end collisions can be very dangerous, especially when the other vehicle is a passenger car. It is also the leading cause of brain and spinal cord injuries.
- Head-on collisions. These accidents occur when a truck veers from its lane and crashes headlong into another vehicle. Driver errors that lead to head-on collisions include driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs and being unaware about traffic, lanes, and road regulations.
For a free legal consultation with a Truck Accident lawyer serving Gretna, call 800-537-8185
Causes of Truck Accidents
Even if you are fortunate enough to escape from a truck accident, the chances are that you did not walk away unscathed. The following are the primary factors that give rise to personal injuries following a truck accident. They include:
- Driver error. In most cases, truck drivers are the at-fault parties in the truck accidents that occur on our roads. They can violate the regulations of the road that keep us safe. Their actions may include failing to check blind spots when switching lanes and not performing inspections before taking off.
- Driver negligence. A negligent or reckless driver operating a massive machine is a recipe for disaster. They may change lanes haphazardly, drive while under the influence, fail to obey the rules of the road, and engage in dangerous behaviors while behind the wheel.
- Cargo issues. Cargo-related accidents occur when the heavy-duty vehicle loses its balance and tips over on its side or roof. Typically, uneven weight, overloading the truck, and recklessly loading the truck are all factors that can lead to harsh personal injuries following a truck accident.
- Improper maintenance. When the trucking company breaches their duty of care in ensuring that their vehicles are adequately and routinely maintained, people can get hurt. These negligent actions can lead to worn brake systems, improperly inflated tires, and defective vehicle equipment. All pose a threat to the truck driver and other motorists on the road.
Gretna Truck Accident Lawyer Near Me 800-537-8185
Hiring a Gretna Truck Accident Lawyer to Represent You
Following a truck accident, we advise that you seek medical attention immediately, even if you do not have any visible injuries. Once the doctor gives clearance, you are free to take legal action against the at-fault parties by calling us at (504) 613-4771. When you hire the Morris Bart law firm, our first steps would be to hold those responsible for your suffering accountable. The way we do this is by investigating everyone, even those remotely involved.
While it is easy to blame the truck driver, other parties may be liable, as well. A Gretna truck accident lawyer can help you determine liability. Our investigation begins with the trucking company. We will verify if the accident was a result of:
- Negligent entrustment
- Willfully ignoring safety inspections
- Negligent maintenance
- Utilizing trucks that have outlived their practical use
- Mechanical defects
We will continue our investigation to fish out the other negligent parties and hold them accountable. Our investigations would also include:
- Other motorists on the road
- The cargo loading personnel
- The maintenance team
- The vehicle manufacturer
Once we determine liability, we will move to file a detailed claim against the at-fault party’s insurance company and await settlement. Our goal is to protect your legal interests and make sure you receive the compensation legally owed to you.
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
Call Us Now to Begin The Process
After more than three decades of successfully representing truck accident victims, the Morris Bart law firm has the resources and negotiating power to win your case. To learn more about your legal options and how we can help you receive the compensation you deserve, call us now at (504) 613-4771 to discuss your case for free with a member of our team.
to find a Morris Bart office near you.