According to Louisiana State University’s Center for Analytics & Research in Transportation, there were 2,800 alcohol-related crashes that caused injuries in Louisiana in 2019. An estimated 283 people lost their lives in those accidents.
If you were injured or if someone you love died because of someone driving under the influence in New Orleans, you may be entitled to a settlement. The team at the Morris Bart law firm can help locate and hold the responsible parties liable in your case. We represent clients in the Orleans Parish, New Orleans East, and the greater New Orleans area.
We offer a free consultation for victims of car accidents. We also work on a contingency-fee basis. That means we only receive our payment if we are successful in your case. In other words, you have absolutely nothing to lose. To speak to a drunk driving accident attorney right away, call us now at (504) 613-4771.
Serious Personal Injuries Can Occur in Drunk Driving Accidents
There are numerous personal injuries that result from an accident with someone driving under the influence of alcohol. Some of the more serious bodily injuries include:
- Internal bleeding: Traumatic injuries from car accidents can cause internal hemorrhaging. One of the reasons that this type of injury is dangerous is that the victim may not even realize they are bleeding. This injury can cause extremely low blood pressure, external bleeding, rapid heart rate, organ failure, seizures, or a coma.
- Traumatic brain injuries (TBIs): According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, car crashes are responsible for 20% of all TBI-related hospitalizations. This type of injury occurs from a blow or bump to the head that disrupts normal brain function.
- Spinal cord injuries: The trauma of a car crash can cause a spinal cord injury. When the spine is injured, it can cause a loss of sensation or mobility below the site of the injury. Some people with spinal cord injuries must use wheelchairs and other assistive devices.
It is important to see a medical professional as soon as possible after your car wreck. Even if you feel like your injuries are minor, a full examination from a doctor can help diagnose and treat internal and external injuries. Furthermore, a medical record that links the injuries you sustained to the auto accident can be an important piece of evidence in your case.
For a free legal consultation with a Drunk Driving Accident lawyer serving New Orleans, call 800-537-8185
Types of Damages Recoverable After Being Injured by a Drunk Driver
Every case is different, so there is no way we can estimate the exact damages you may recover after an accident involving alcohol. Damages in a drunk driving accident case can include:
- Medical costs
- Lost wages
- Future wages if your earning potential is lost or diminished
- Disfigurement or dismemberment
- Pain and suffering
- Property damage
- Out-of-pocket costs
If your family member died in a DUI crash, you may be able to file a wrongful death claim on their behalf. In a wrongful death case, your family may be eligible to receive:
- Funeral and burial costs
- Medical expenses left to the family to pay
- Pain and suffering
- Loss of consortium
- Benefits and wages previously provided by the deceased
To learn more about what types of compensation may be possible after being injured by a drunk driver, call the Morris Bart law firm today at (504) 613-4771. Consultation calls are free.
New Orleans Drunk Driving Accident Lawyer Near Me 800-537-8185
How Louisiana’s Statute of Limitations Can Impact Your Claim
The state of Louisiana places a limit on the amount of time you have to pursue compensation after an accident. This statute of limitations, CC 3492, is generally one year. If you fail to take action within one year of your accident, you may be barred from pursuing compensation.
There may be exceptions to this one-year timeline in certain cases. If you have questions about the statute of limitations in your case, contact the Morris Bart law firm today.
How a New Orleans Drunk Driving Accident Attorney Can Help
We know you may be in pain and feeling overwhelmed after being involved in an accident with a drunk driver. Our New Orleans drunk driving accident lawyers are here to take the burden of pursuing your losses off your shoulders so you can focus on healing.
Here are some specific ways our personal injury attorneys can help:
- Answer questions, discuss the possible outcomes of your case, and offer legal advice
- Gather evidence like police reports, eyewitness statements, and surveillance video
- Hire accident reconstruction experts to testify in your defense
- Use medical records, doctor’s statements, bills, and receipts to calculate the total value of your case
- Handle all communications and negotiations with the defendant and the courts
- Take your case to trial if the insurance company does not offer a fair and reasonable settlement based on the evidence we produce
But do not delay. Memories fade, and the sooner you contact us, the sooner we can gather evidence to build your case.
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
Contact Morris Bart, LLC Today
After a drunk driving crash, the drunk driver’s insurance company may contact you. They may make you a settlement offer for money you need to pay off your medical bills and car damage.
Use caution in this situation. The initial offer from the liable party’s insurance company could be less than the full cost of your current and future treatment. Accepting a settlement offer could legally prevent you from filing for additional compensation later.
For questions about your case and advice on how to proceed, contact a New Orleans drunk driving accident lawyer from the Morris Bart law firm at (504) 613-4771 for a free consultation.
We operate on a contingency-fee basis, meaning our personal injury law firm only receives payment if you receive a settlement or a ruling in your favor in court.
to find a Morris Bart office near you.