Were you or a family member injured in a car accident caused by a drunk driver? If you were, you may already know first hand that a drunk driving accident can leave a long path of destruction in its wake. It can also mean significant expenses for the victim, including medical bills, property damage, lost income, and more.
If you or a loved one were injured in an accident caused by a drunk driver, you may be able to have the at-fault driver and their insurance company cover your expenses in a personal injury lawsuit.
The Morris Bart law office represents drunk driving accident victims in LaPlace. A lawyer from our firm may be able to negotiate for a settlement offer from the responsible party’s insurance company. If they do not provide you a fair offer, we may be able to sue them in court.
Do not wait to file your claim. Contact the Morris Bart law firm for a free consultation at (504) 613-4771. We operate on a contingency-fee basis, with no upfront costs to represent you.
How Louisiana Defines Drunk Driving
Louisiana defines driving while intoxicated (DWI) as driving with a blood alcohol content (BAC) of 0.08 or higher. A driver may also be subject to a DWI citation if they are under the influence of illegal drugs, or are using prescription drugs that prohibit operating a vehicle.
A driver who is under the influence of any controlled substance should not attempt to operate a vehicle for these critical reasons:
- Their senses may be dulled.
- Their judgment may be impaired.
- Their response time may be lengthened.
- Their coordination may be negatively affected.
- Their ability to reason may be reduced.
If a drunk or intoxicated driver caused the accident that led to your injuries and property loss, contact Morris Bart. A LaPlace drunk driving accident lawyer from our firm may be able to help you get compensation for your accident-related expenses.
For a free legal consultation with a Drunk Driving Accident lawyer serving LaPlace, call 800-537-8185
Evidence of Driver Liability in Drunk Driving Accident
To recover compensation in a drunk driving accident case, you will need to prove that the responsible driver’s negligence caused the accident and your injuries.
Fortunately, this may not require direct evidence that the driver was drunk at the time of the accident. If a police officer issued the other driver a DWI at the scene of your accident, this information could be entered into your case as evidence of driver negligence. However, any violation of traffic law that causes an accident may also be deemed a negligent act. This can include evidence of such actions as:
- Running a red light or stop sign
- Failure to yield
- Not honoring another car’s right of way
- Illegally changing lanes
- Not using a turn signal or headlights at night
- And more
Even without direct evidence of intoxication, a LaPlace drunk driving accident lawyer from Morris Bart may be able to prove driver negligence with evidence that they caused your accident by breaking a traffic law.
LaPlace Drunk Driving Accident Lawyer Near Me 800-537-8185
A LaPlace Drunk Driving Accident Lawyer Can Be Your Advocate
Filing a claim against a drunk driver may involve many steps and compliance with multiple legal regulations. While you recover from your injuries, your lawyer can start managing this legal work by:
- Communicating with insurance companies and other parties on your behalf.
- Handling all legal paperwork and deadlines.
- Gathering evidence of driver liability, such as crash reports, witness statements, and photos and video from the scene of the accident.
- Assigning a monetary value to your claim by producing evidence from your medical records and testimony from medical and vocational experts, if necessary.
- Negotiating with the insurance company for a settlement offer based on the evidence collected.
- Suing them in court if they are not willing to make you a fair offer.
Louisiana places a one-year time limit on personal injury lawsuits, also known as a statute of limitations. If the statute of limitations expires in your case before you act, you may lose your right to recover compensation via a lawsuit.
A representative of the Morris Bart law firm can discuss what legal deadlines pertain to your case, and what legal options may be available to you, when you contact us for a free consultation at (504) 613-4771.
Statistics on Drunk Driving in Louisiana
According to Louisiana State University’s Center for Analytics & Research in Transportation, drunk driving is a significant hazard on Louisiana roads. They report that in 2019, an estimated 2,900 alcohol-related car accidents caused injuries in Louisiana, including 260 accidents that resulted in death.
The Louisiana Highway Safety Commission also reports these alarming facts about drunk driving in the state:
- The most common time of day for drunk driving accidents is between 6:00 p.m. and midnight.
- The most common days of the week for drunk driving accidents are Fridays, Saturdays, and Sundays.
- Men and women aged 25 to 44 were responsible for more than half of all drunk driving accidents.
At the Morris Bart law firm, we believe that drunk drivers should be held accountable for the damages they inflict on others. If you were injured due to a drunk driver, we may be able to represent you.
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
Morris Bart, LLC Can Fight for Your Compensation
If a drunk driver caused an accident that injured you in LaPlace, or elsewhere in Louisiana, you may be entitled to compensation for your damages.
Contact the Morris Bart law offices at (504) 613-4771 today. We offer a free consultation on drunk driving accident cases, and represent our clients on a contingency-fee basis.
to find a Morris Bart office near you.