An accident caused by a driver who had too much to drink can involve weeks or months of recovery time. While you recover, you may not be able to work to support yourself or your family. That could mean an accident leaves you with medical bills you are unable to pay and a loss of income that negatively impacts your entire family.
You do not have to accept these accident-related financial losses without a fight, and you do not have to fight for compensation alone. Call the Morris Bart law firm at (504) 613-4771 for a free case evaluation. A Destrehan drunk driving accident lawyer can discuss your legal options.
Drunk Driving Injuries and Fatalities in Louisiana
When a drunk driver gets on the road, he puts many other drivers at risk of injury or death. When someone is injured or killed in a car accident, it can have a ripple effect on their entire family and community. Catastrophic injuries or fatalities can impact the lives or anyone the accident victim supported financially. An accident can also negatively impact an entire family financially and emotionally when a loved one dies.
Drunk driving accidents injure hundreds of people and cause hundreds of deaths in Louisiana every year. When a drunk driver gets behind the wheel of a car, his senses and response times are dulled. He also loses the ability to make quick decisions and complicated stops or turns. The Louisiana State University Center for Analytics & Research in Transportation reported the following statistics for drunk driving in 2019:
- 664 total fatal crashes
- 260 alcohol-related fatal crashes
- 285 alcohol-related deaths
- 2,800 alcohol-related injuries
If a drunk driver was responsible for the accident that led to your injuries, you can seek financial recovery for your accident expenses. If a loved one has passed due to an accident with an intoxicated driver, you can seek compensation for their wrongful death and the loss of their companionship. Get the compensation you are owed with the help of a Destrehan drunk driving accident lawyer with the Morris Bart law firm.
Louisiana’s Regulations When Filing a Lawsuit Against a Drunk Driver
Filing an insurance claim on your own can be a time-consuming, complex process. Also, the state requires a lawsuit to adhere to their rules and laws.
- If alcohol was involved in the accident, you are required to file a police report within 24 hours of the accident occurring, per RS 32:398.
- The time to file a lawsuit is very limited, and your lawsuit must be filed before the allotted time expires, or it can never be filed, per CC 3492.
- You must be able to prove the fault for the accident falls to the drunk driver, or any financial award you receive might be reduced, per CC 2323.
Do not put your insurance claim or lawsuit in jeopardy by misunderstanding the filing process. Contact a Destrehan drunk driving accident lawyer to get started building your clam today.
For a free legal consultation with a Drunk Driving Accident lawyer serving Destrehan, call 800-537-8185
A Drunk Driver Is Responsible for Your Expenses and Losses
When you are involved in a drunk driving car accident, the expenses the accident creates should fall on the shoulders of the at-fault driver. The expenses the driver and his insurer might be required to cover include:
- Medical bills until your physical health is fully restored
- Current and future lost income if you cannot go back to work
- Pain and suffering if your injuries are lingering
- Funeral and burial expenses if a family member dies in the accident
- The cost of hiring household help if your injuries or a loved one’s death makes it necessary
You are entitled to have all of the expenses the accident creates covered. A Destrehan drunk driving accident lawyer plays an important role in valuing each of the components of your financial award. His goal is to make sure you receive a monetary award amount that does not leave you shortchanged. Call the Morris Bart law firm at (504) 613-4771 today to discuss your case for free.
A Drunk Driver in Destrehan Is Subject to Legal Penalties
Drunk driving is a crime in every state in the US. In Louisiana, drunk driving is a serious criminal offense that carries the following penalties.
- Under RS 14:98.1, a driver convicted of DUI for the first time can pay between $300 to $1,000 in fines and spend up to six months in jail.
- Under RS 14:98.2, a driver convicted of DUI for the second time can pay between $750 to $1,000 in fines and spend up to six months in jail.
- Under RS 14:98.3, a driver convicted of DUI for the third time can pay a $2,000 fine and spend between five and ten years in jail.
A driver convicted of driving under the influence of alcohol can also be forced to relinquish his car under certain circumstances. In addition to paying your accident expenses, you can also know the driver who injured you could be off the road, which will make driving safer for everyone. A Destrehan drunk driving accident lawyer can help you obtain the financial award—and the peace of mind—you deserve.
Destrehan Drunk Driving Accident Lawyer Near Me 800-537-8185
Connect With a Destrehan Drunk Driving Accident Lawyer Now
The expenses and losses that occur in the aftermath of a car accident are the responsibility of the drunk driver who is responsible for the accident and his insurance company. Find out how you can collect the money you need to cover your accident-related expenses and losses. Call the Morris Bart law firm at (504) 613-4771 to discuss your potential for financial compensation in a free, no-obligation case evaluation. A Destrehan drunk driving accident lawyer is ready to assist you.
to find a Morris Bart office near you.