Traffic signals are meant to promote the safety of pedestrians, bicyclists, and motorists while using public roads. Unfortunately, some drivers see a traffic light as a suggestion rather than a method of safety. According to the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS), in 2018, over 840 people were killed as a result of “red light running.”
If you were injured or a loved one passed away due to the negligence of another motorist, with the Morris Bart law firm, you have legal options. Our goal is to prove that your case merits compensation and that you should not have to be financially responsible for a collision you did not cause.
A New Orleans red light lawyer can:
- Estimate the cost of your losses
- Investigate the details of your claim, including how the accident happened and who was involved
- Speak directly with the insurance companies and involved parties
- Initiate legal action in court, if necessary
Under Civil Code 3492, you have one year from the date of the accident to file a lawsuit. If you are eligible to file a wrongful death claim on behalf of a loved one, you have one year from the date of their passing to do so.
To get started with a free case review, call the Morris Bart law firm at (504) 613-4771.
What to Do After a Car Accident
At the Morris Bart law firm, our goal is to keep you updated on the full scope of your case as it unfolds. While your New Orleans car accident lawyer can undertake many obligations for you, there are some steps you may want to consider taking that could promote your chance of compensation.
- Holding onto all evidence regarding your medical care and property damage
- Allowing your legal team to handle communications with the insurance company
- Not accepting any settlements from the insurance company
- Refraining from posting about the collision to social media (this can provide evidence that can be used against you)
- Seeking prompt medical attention for your injuries and completing the recommended course of treatment
A New Orleans red light lawyer can provide additional information that promotes your case’s success.
For a free legal consultation with a Red Light Accident lawyer serving New Orleans, call 800-537-8185
Your Lawyer Must Demonstrate Negligence
All personal injury claims, whether they be car accidents, slip and falls, or medical malpractice, are all grounded in one common element: negligence. The goal of your case is to prove that the other motorist did not take measures to promote the safety of others and, therefore, they should pay for your accident-related expenses.
In your situation, the other motorist may have been arrested or charged with a crime. For example, if the other driver ran a red light because they were drunk, they could have been arrested for drunk driving. However, this does not preclude you from litigation. You can still file a personal injury lawsuit against the negligent party, even if they are charged and convicted with a related crime.
For your case to be successful, your lawyer must establish the four elements of negligence which include:
- Duty of care. All motorists accept this obligation when they get behind the wheel of any vehicle. They must take actions that promote not only their own safety but that of others.
- Violation of duty of care. The moment a motorist engages in distracted driving, drunk driving, or speeding, they have breached their duty of care.
- Causation. Your legal team must tie your accident directly to the other motorist’s actions.
- Damages. By using your medical bills, pay stubs, and written testimony, your legal team must prove that because the other driver failed to uphold their duty of care, you have suffered both financial and personal losses.
Do Not Accept an Insurance Company’s Settlement Offer
Many people do not recognize that insurance companies are businesses. Their goal is to protect their bottom line so their business can continue generating revenue. This sometimes takes the form of offering claimants less money than their case should merit. After your accident, you may be approached by the insurance company offering you a settlement for your injuries and related losses. They might use language to insinuate that you will receive more money in the future or that you only have a limited time to accept their offer. In these situations, a New Orleans red light lawyer can benefit your case. They can let you know whether the insurance company is acting within the scope of their legal rights or are unfairly pressuring you.
Remember: if you accept an offer from the insurance company at any point in time, your opportunity to take your case to court is likely over. You cannot fully understand the scope of your losses until you have completed the course of treatment recommended by your doctor. You do not want to accept a settlement offer that does not cover your losses, no matter how enticing it may seem.
Call the Morris Bart Law Firm Today
Seeking justice from a driver who ran a red light is not always easy. Right now, you could be dealing with an uncooperative insurance company or a negligent motorist who refuses to take responsibility for their actions. If you are in such a situation, reach out to our law firm to protect your interests.
At the Morris Bart law firm, we are ready to help you with your claim. You deserve to have the time to recover from your injuries rather than undertaking legal obligations by yourself.
To get started working with our dedicated team, call us today at (504) 613-4771.
to find a Morris Bart office near you.