What Is Necrotizing Enterocolitis?
NEC is an acronym that stands for Necrotizing Enterocolitis, which is a serious gastrointestinal condition indicated by the death of tissues in the intestinal tract. NEC causes severe intestinal inflammation that may cause tears and holes in the intestine. Bacteria from the intestine can then leak into other parts of the abdomen and blood, causing further illness and sepsis.
For a free legal consultation with a NEC Baby Formula lawyer serving New Orleans, call 800-537-8185
Were There Warnings about NEC?
Unfortunately, no. At the time of the lawsuit, Mead Johnson and Abbott Laboratories products Enfamil and Similac include no warnings about NEC as a side effect of the baby formula. They also do not provide proper instructions or guidelines for their use with premature infants. In fact, the products have been marked as safe for premature infants by these companies, despite the potential risks.
New Orleans NEC Baby Formula Lawyer Near Me 800-537-8185
Has There Been a Recall on Similac or Enfamil Baby Formulas?
Enfamil and Similac have not yet been recalled for causing NEC. While there have been recalls in the past, these were related to product tampering or bacterial infection and were not related to NEC.
What Baby Formulas Have Been Named in This Lawsuit?
The below list includes the baby formulas included in the NEC baby formula lawsuits so far. However, any Cow Milk-based formula may be a hazard to premature infants:
- Enfacare Powder
- Enfamil 24 and DHA & ARA Supplement
- Enfamil Human Milk Fortifier Acidified Liquid
- Enfamil Human Milk Fortifier Liquid High Protein
- Enfamil Human Milk Fortifier Powder
- Enfamil Milk Fortifier Liquid Standard Protein
- Enfamil NeuroPro Enfacare
- Enfamil Premature 20 Cal
- Enfamil Premature 24 Cal
- Enfamil Premature 24 Cal/fl oz HP
- Enfamil Premature 30 Cal
- Similac Alimentum
- Similac Alimentum Expert Care
- Similac Human Milk Fortifier
- Similac Human Milk Fortifier Concentrated Liquid
- Similac Human Milk Fortifier Hydrolyzed Protein- Concentrated Liquid
- Similac Human Milk Fortifier Powder
- Similac Liquid Protein Fortifier
- Similac NeoSure
- Similac Special Care
- Similac Special Care 20
- Similac Special Care 24
- Similac Special Care 24 High Protein
- Similac Special Care 30
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
What Are the Signs and Symptoms of NEC?
Due to the internal nature of NEC, it can be difficult to know early on if your child is suffering from this intestinal condition. However, below is a list of the most common signs and symptoms:
- Abdominal distension
- Decreased bowel sounds
- Reduced urine output
- Elevated white blood cell counts
- Portal venous gas
- Greenish discoloration
- Worsening or persistent thrombocytopenia
- Completely gasless abdomen
- Repeated feeding intolerance
- Intestinal strictures
- Passage of meconium through patent processus vaginalitis
- Fixed and dilated loop on serial abdominal radiographs
Have You Been Using a Cow Milk-Based Product with Your Premature Child?
Parents who have been using a Cow Milk-based product with their premature infant are recommended to stop immediately and seek medical attention if their child is displaying the above symptoms. If you notice any concerning signs, our New Orleans dangerous drug lawyers can help evaluate your options.
If your child has experienced complications or death due to NEC after using a Cow Milk-based infant formula or fortifier, you may be entitled to compensation. To learn more, fill out our free case evaluation form or call us for your free consultation.The experienced mass tort attorneys at Morris Bart can assist you in the evaluation process. We have office locations throughout Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, and Arkansas. Contact us today!
to find a Morris Bart office near you.