Abbott and Mead Johnson has had cow’s milk-based formulas and milk fortifier products on the market across the United States for decades. However, while a series of studies since 1990 began to identify a correlation between the use of these formulas and necrotizing enterocolitis (NEC) in premature babies, neither company took any steps to warn parents or hospitals of the risks of their products.
What Is Necrotizing Enterocolitis (NEC)?
NEC is the abbreviated form of Necrotizing Enterocolitis, a severe gastrointestinal condition where the tissues of the intestinal tract die off. NEC is also characterized by the inflammation and perforation of walls in the intestine. Once the lining of the intestine is damaged, bacteria can then leak into the body.
For a free legal consultation with a NEC Baby Formula lawyer serving Birmingham, call 800-537-8185
Have Either Similac or Enfamil Baby Formulas Been Recalled?
Currently, neither Enfamil nor Similac have been recalled. There has been recalls in the past, however, none of these recalls were related to the presences of NEC risks in premature babies.
Birmingham NEC Baby Formula Lawyer Near Me 800-537-8185
Has There Been Any Product Warnings about NEC?
Unfortunately, up to the time of the lawsuit, neither of the products Enfamil and Similac include any warnings about NEC as a side effect. This includes any proper instructions or guidelines for their use with premature infants. Alternatively, the products have been marked as safe for premature infants by these companies, despite the potential risks.
Which Baby Formulas Have Been Names in the NEC Lawsuit?
Sor far, the below list includes each baby formula included in the NEC baby formula lawsuits.
- Enfacare Powder
- Enfamil 24 and DHA & ARA Supplement
- Enfamil Human Milk Fortifier Acidified Liquid
- Enfamil Human Milk Fortifier Liquid High Protein
- Enfamil Human Milk Fortifier Powder
- Enfamil Milk Fortifier Liquid Standard Protein
- Enfamil NeuroPro Enfacare
- Enfamil Premature 20 Cal
- Enfamil Premature 24 Cal
- Enfamil Premature 24 Cal/fl oz HP
- Enfamil Premature 30 Cal
- Similac Alimentum
- Similac Alimentum Expert Care
- Similac Human Milk Fortifier
- Similac Human Milk Fortifier Concentrated Liquid
- Similac Human Milk Fortifier Hydrolyzed Protein- Concentrated Liquid
- Similac Human Milk Fortifier Powder
- Similac Liquid Protein Fortifier
- Similac NeoSure
- Similac Special Care
- Similac Special Care 20
- Similac Special Care 24
- Similac Special Care 24 High Protein
- Similac Special Care 30
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
What Are the Signs and Symptoms of NEC?
Because NEC is not a condition affecting a visible area of the body, it is often not immediately identified. This is compounded by the inability to communicate with the infant. However, there is a list of common symptoms which indicate the presence of NEC.
- Abdominal distension
- Decreased bowel sounds
- Reduced urine output
- Elevated white blood cell counts
- Portal venous gas
- Greenish discoloration
- Worsening or persistent thrombocytopenia
- Completely gasless abdomen
- Repeated feeding intolerance
- Intestinal strictures
- Passage of meconium through patent processus vaginalitis
- Fixed and dilated loop on serial abdominal radiographs
Has Your Child Suffered from Necrotizing Enterocolitis?
Parents who have premature children that have used a Cow Milk-based product like Enfamil or Similac and have experienced complications or death may be entitled to compensation. To learn more, fill out our free case evaluation form or call us for your free consultation with a Birmingham NEC lawyer.
If you are looking for a New Orleans dangerous drugs attorney, the experienced mass tort attorneys at Morris Bart can still assist you in the case evaluation process. We serve clients throughout Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, and Arkansas. Contact us today!
to find a Morris Bart office near you.