Hostile driving can quickly turn an ordinary road trip into a devastating accident. In addition, when a driver is overly aggressive behind the wheel of their vehicle, they can also frighten and scare other drivers, leading to a disastrous chain of reactions.
If an aggressive driver’s actions injured you or a family member, you could collect a financial payment from them to cover your medical bills, property damage, and other expenses as a direct result of the accident. The Birmingham aggressive driving accident attorneys at the Morris Bart law firm can help.
Aggressive Driving Poses an Avoidable Danger
The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) defines aggressive driving as something that happens when an at-fault driver carries out a succession of traffic offenses so as to jeopardize other people or property.
Aggressive drivers create unnecessarily dangerous situations because of their out-of-control emotions. They can cause accidents that would not occur if they had remained calm. Examples of aggressive driving behavior include
- Dangerously tailgating the preceding car
- Flashing headlights
- Erratic, unnecessary, or unsafe lane changes without signaling
- Driving on shoulders, sidewalks, or in other restricted areas
- Failing to yield the right of way or obey traffic signs and signals
- Speeding, racing, or recklessly entering or turning into intersections
- Slowing down to block in another driver
If you were injured or a family member was killed by a driver who committed one or more of these driving infractions, reach out to our Birmingham aggressive driving accident lawyers immediately.
For a free legal consultation with a Aggressive Driving Accident lawyer serving Birmingham, call 800-537-8185
What to Do When You Encounter an Aggressive Driver
When a driver is unnecessarily aggressive, they put everyone on the road with them at serious risk of injury or property damage. Therefore, when you encounter an aggressive driver, the safest thing you can do is take steps to avoid a confrontation.
Here are some ways to try and diffuse the situation:
- Let them pass you: Move your car out of their path as quickly and safely as possible. Blocking or boxing in an aggressive driver will only make the problem worse.
- Back off: Do what you can to put distance between yourself and the other driver. Often this will mean backing off and letting them speed ahead. However, if they slow down to confront you, you may need to exit the freeway or turn onto another road to get away.
- Remain calm: Do not gesture or shout out your window at them. These actions will only ramp up the situation and could set the scene for a dangerous confrontation. Instead, keep your hands on the wheel and stay calm and focused.
- Keep driving: Don’t pull over to argue with the other driver since this is not likely to resolve anything. Instead, continue driving as safely as you can and call the police or go to a police station if you feel threatened.
Birmingham Aggressive Driving Accident Lawyer Near Me 800-537-8185
Birmingham Aggressive Driving Accident FAQ
Aggressive drivers are not only reckless but scary. How do you handle one when they cause your accident and injuries? Get answers to your questions from a Birmingham aggressive driving accident lawyer.
What do I Do After an Accident Caused by an Aggressive Driver?
An aggressive driver might be angry or under the influence of drugs or alcohol. They might also have simply lost control of their temper or be in a dangerous rush to reach their intended destination.
If you cannot avoid an aggressive driver and end up in a collision with them, you may be too rattled or frightened to know what to do next. First, move out of the flow of traffic as quickly and safely as you are able, then take these critical steps:
- Call the police: Report the accident immediately if you can. This will allow the authorities to get to the scene as soon as possible.
- Avoid confrontation: Keep your wits about you and avoid confronting the at-fault driver.
- Stay in your car: If possible, remain in your vehicle until the police arrive on the scene.
- Gather your documents: Have your license, registration, and insurance information available.
- Get medical treatment: Seek immediate medical attention for yourself and any passengers in your car who were injured.
- Talk to witnesses: Once you can safely get out of your vehicle, talk to anyone who saw the accident take place. Obtain their contact information from them so you or your attorney can reach out to them later if necessary.
You may want to write down your recollection of what happened to get an accurate record of the incident before the memories fade. You should also contact our Birmingham car accident lawyers while the events are still fresh in your memory.
If an aggressive driver under the influence of alcohol has caused your accident, a drunk driving lawyer in Birmingham from our firm is on your side. We can hold them accountable for your injuries and damages and help you pursue fair compensation.
Do I Need an Aggressive Driving Accident Lawyer in Birmingham?
Anyone who suffers losses in a traffic accident can file a civil suit against the driver that caused the accident. However, winning your lawsuit and receiving compensation is not always easy – especially if you try to go it alone.
When you hire an aggressive driving accident attorney in Birmingham, you will have an entire legal team on your side. First, we will work to prove that the other driver caused the accident by investigating and talking to witnesses.
Then, we’ll help you document proof of your injuries and damages. Some losses for which you can receive compensation include:
- Medical expenses you incurred because of your injuries
- Anticipated future medical bills
- The cost to repair or replace your vehicle
- Pain and suffering
- Lost wages
Finally, our experienced personal injury attorneys will negotiate to get you the best possible settlement. And if your case goes to trial, we will be there to represent you and support you every step of the way.
Deaths Attributed to Unnecessarily Aggressive Driving
American Automobile Association (AAA) research found that over half of all fatal car accidents were caused by aggressive drivers and their disregard for other drivers and pedestrians. In a survey by the AAA Foundation for Traffic Safety, nearly 80% of drivers reported at least one instance of angry behavior behind the wheel in the previous year.
An aggressive driver can cause chaos on the road and make other drivers nervous or cause them to swerve or slam on their brakes to avoid a collision. Unfortunately, these dangerous and evasive actions might lead to accidents as well.
If you or a member of your family suffered injuries because of an irresponsible, reckless, or aggressive driver, you might be able to hold the at-fault driver and their insurer fully responsible for the financial impact of the accident.
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
File an Accident Report in Birmingham As Soon as Possible
If an aggressive driver injures you, Birmingham Municipal Code § 10-4-1 requires you to file an accident report with local police. Even if the law does not require a police report in your situation, filing one is still in your best interest.
You should also obtain a copy of the police report as soon as it is ready. A police report contains valuable information that can help your Birmingham reckless driving accident lawyer build a comprehensive case for compensation.
A settlement or court award would assure your medical bills, property damage, and lost wages are paid for by the aggressive driver who caused the accident, not by you and your family.
Compensation not only provides you with the medical treatments you need but also limits (or eliminates) out-of-pocket expenses for an accident you did not cause.
But don’t hesitate to file your claim for car accident compensation. The Alabama statute of limitations won’t allow you to file your claim after two years from the date of your accident.
You May Be Able to Get Financial Compensation from an Aggressive Driver
Aggressive drivers in Birmingham are inherently dangerous and can cause panic and anxiety for other drivers and pedestrians on the road. Their road rage can also cause car accidents that lead to severe injuries and cause costly property damage.
If you or a family member was involved in a car accident due to an aggressive driver, you could hold them financially responsible for the accident that caused your injuries.
Call the Birmingham aggressive driving accident lawyers at the Morris Bart & Associates, LLC today to reach a member of our team and receive a free no-obligation case evaluation.
to find a Morris Bart office near you.