You should be able to move around freely inthe grocery store, in a hotel, in a service provider’s office, or at any business location without incident. Unfortunately, slip and fall accidents occur due to negligent property owners and on-site management, sometimes causing severe injuries.
But with our Birmingham slip and fall accident lawyer, you can pursue fair compensation. Damages hold the liable party accountable for their negligence, compensate you for your injuries, and help you support your family if you’re unable to work.
What Types of Compensation Can Slip and Fall Accident Victims Recover?
After a slip and fall accident, you can pursue damages from the liable party with the help of an attorney. You can ask for two types of compensation: economic damages and non-economic damages.
Economic damages include whatever monetary losses or expenses you incurred because of the accident. Our Birmingham personal injury lawyer can help you recover:
- Loss of income, for anyone whose injuries prevented them from being able to work and supporting their family
- Loss of earning capacity, for anyone whose injuries prevent them from working or earning as much money as they had before the accident
- Medical expenses, for anyone who needs (or will need) help from a medical professional or any type of medical aid (e.g., a walker or wheelchair)
- Other expenses, for anyone who had to spend money on services (e.g., lawn care or housekeeping) for which they did not require help before the accident
Non-economic damages include physical and mental injuries you suffered because of the accident. Common examples include:
- Disability, for anyone who has lost the total or partial use of any body part, including a limb, an organ, etc.
- Pain and suffering, for anyone who experiences physical or mental distress, either because of their injuries or the accident itself.
- Reduced quality of life, for anyone whose injuries prevent them from living the way they want to (e.g., living alone or participating in certain activities).
- Loss of consortium, for anyone whose marriage suffered or ended due to their injuries.
Wrongful Death Damages
Other types of damages are available for those filing a wrongful death lawsuit on behalf of a deceased loved one. If your loved one passed away from their slip and fall injuries, you could qualify for damages like:
- Funeral expenses, if you paid out of pocket for your loved one’s end-of-life requirements
- Loss of companionship, if you relied on your loved one for guidance and affection, and must now learn to live without them
- Loss of financial support, if you relied on your loved one to pay the bills and must now find other means of supporting yourself
For a free legal consultation with a Slip and Fall Accident lawyer serving Birmingham, call (205) 380-4158
It Is a Property Owner’s Responsibility to Help Keep You Safe
Slip and fall accidents are a type of premises liability case. Premises liability cases are those where the accident is caused by a property owner’s failure to take care of their property. Such failures may include:
- Not providing adequate warning (e.g., signs) about potential hazards
- Not mopping up spills in a timely manner
- Allowing grass and other vegetation to become overgrown
- Not performing proper maintenance on stairways, walkways, etc.
- Leaving open holes or pits on the property
Property owners must take care of such issues on their own or retain a property manager to do so. Otherwise, everyone who sets foot on the property is in danger. You may be able to sue a negligent owner or manager if you were on the property as:
- An employee or contractor who works on the property
- A customer or prospective customer who visited to do business
- A licensee who runs a business located on the property
- A friend or acquaintance who was personally invited
Slip and fall accidents can have serious consequences. This is especially true for older individuals, as the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) notes. If you or your loved one were victims of such an accident, do not hesitate to seek monetary compensation.
How a Slip and Fall Accident Lawyer in Birmingham Can Help You With Your Lawsuit
What can a Morris Bart slip and fall accident attorney in Birmingham do to help you? Among other things, we can:
- Update you regularly: By keeping you in the loop, we make it easier to make the best possible legal decisions throughout your case.
- Investigate your accident: Your lawyer will collect evidence like medical records, witness statements, and other information to corroborate your story.
- Identify and contact the liable party: Our investigation will show who you should pursue to collect damages. We will then contact them on your behalf.
- Fill out paperwork: Even an innocent clerical error could end your case prematurely. Let us handle all forms and paperwork for you.
- Pursue compensation: We negotiate for the largest possible amount of compensation. If the insurance company will not negotiate, we are willing and able to take your case to court.
- Make ourselves available to you: Call us whenever you have a question or concern. We will get back to you as quickly as possible.
You do not have to worry about confronting the insurance company alone or putting together your own case. The Morris Bart law firm can handle all legal tasks, big and small, so you can focus on recovery.
Birmingham Slip and Fall FAQs
Get answers from a Birmingham slip and fall accident attorney to some of the most frequently asked questions.
Because no two accidents are alike, settlement values for slip and fall accidents will always differ. There is no legitimate average.
Factors that could affect your settlement include:
- What type of injury you’ve sustained: Naturally, minor injuries that heal relatively quickly will lessen your settlement amount, while permanent injuries could result in a much higher settlement amount.
- The extent of your injuries: Proving the extent of your injuries will ultimately come from medical bills and other expenses related to your injury. Whether you had an overnight hospital stay, required MRIs and surgeries, or needed to equip your home with assisting devices, your damages will be calculated based on these costs.
- How much evidence is gathered to prove liability: Proving liability is critical in slip and fall cases. The more evidence shows someone else was at fault, the better your chances are of getting higher compensation. Photos of the scene, security camera footage, and witness testimonies will all help to increase your settlement value.
Yes, you should get a lawyer for a slip and fall in Birmingham. Think of it this way: what if you didn’t? Most slip and fall victims become embarrassed, get up, and say they’re fine. Sometimes, injuries don’t appear until much later.
A victim might notify the manager or property owner about the incident and leave it at that. Or if they ultimately file a formal claim with the property’s insurer, they might be offered a lowball settlement or nothing at all.
If you sustained injuries after a slip and fall, you shouldn’t have to deal with that on your own. A lawyer can:
- Investigate the claim and determine liability
- Ensure the property owner has preserved evidence
- Determine the facts of the case to prove the necessary elements of negligence
- Deal with insurance companies on your behalf
Let a slip and fall accident lawyer in Birmingham handle all these tasks and remove those stressors from your shoulders while you take the necessary time you need to recover.
In Birmingham, you typically have two years to file a personal injury case if you were hurt in a slip and fall accident. This is outlined in the statute of limitations, or Ala. Code § 6-2-38. However, there are sometimes exceptions that could shorten the statute of limitations, giving you even less time to submit your case.
You should start on your lawsuit as early as you can. Not only does this give us more time to complete paperwork and submit your case, but it also allows us plenty of time to investigate and collect evidence. We recommend you start working on your slip and fall case right away.
After a slip and fall, you should visit the doctor and have your injuries assessed. We will want to know how much your medical treatment will cost, as this will affect how much compensation we can demand.
You may also want to consider contacting a lawyer from the Morris Bart law firm. We can help you collect evidence to prove the liable party owes you compensation. While you can collect evidence on your own, it may be challenging when you are injured. Let us work on your case while you recover.
Call Morris Bart & Associates, LLC Today for a Free Consultation
A slip and fall accident lawyer in Birmingham from the Morris Bart law firm may be able to handle your case and pursue fair compensation on your behalf. Call our office or fill out our online contact form today to speak with an attorney. We are a contingency-fee firm, and the initial case assessment is free.
Questions?Call (205) 380-4158
to find a Morris Bart office near you.