A slip and fall injury is one of the most common reasons people are hospitalized in the US. When an individual gets injured on another person’s property by slipping and falling, the latter is legally responsible for taking care of the former’s damages. Such accidents can result in severe and even life-threatening injuries.
If you were injured, you are entitled to compensation. You should not have to pay for the expensive medical costs and other damages because of another person’s negligence. If you believe you have a case, contact our Marrero slip and fall accident attorneys to discuss your legal options in a free consultation.
Common Causes of Slip and Fall Accidents
Slip and fall accidents take place for many different reasons, but the most common of them is negligence. When the property owner fails to provide a standard of safety for its visitors, guests, or customers by removing hazards from their property, it results in an accident. Common causes of slip and fall accidents may include:
- Wet and slippery surfaces
- Unsafe stairs
- Weather conditions
- Uneven floors
- Worn-out carpeting
- Nursing home neglect
- Improper training (at the workplace)
At least one party is potentially liable for your injuries by being careless. Even if you are not sure who that party could be, you can seek legal advice from slip and fall accident attorneys in Marrero who will suggest the best course of action.
For a free legal consultation with a Slip and Fall Accident lawyer serving Marrero, call 800-537-8185
Can You Sue the Property Owner for Your Injuries?
Whether you can or cannot sue depends on several factors. Once you successfully establish who the property owner is, you need to demonstrate the four elements of negligence. They are:
- The property owner (defendant) owes you a duty of care. This means they expected you to visit their property and thus, had the responsibility to look after your safety.
- The property owner caused a breach of their duties or showed negligence.
- The breach of duty caused you to acquire serious injuries.
- The injuries have resulted in various damages.
Suppose you are a tenant renting a room on a property, and you injure yourself while walking down the stairs due to broken railings. Here, the landlord or owner of the building you live in is responsible for seeing whether the stairs are in proper condition. Since they failed to ensure that, you can hold them liable for your injuries.
Gathering Evidence in a Slip and Fall Injury Case
As with any legal case, solid evidence is essential to prove your slip and fall injuries. However, slip and fall cases can be a bit more tricky since you are expected to be aware of your surroundings.
If the average person could have detected the hazard before injuring themselves, the defendant’s attorney and the insurance company might argue that you are to blame for the accident. It is important to have a strong attorney by your side to fight these claims with strategic defenses. Evidence that can help prove your case may include the following:
- Camera footage or photos of the hazard to establish the property owner’s negligence.
- Witness testimonies.
- Medical evidence, such as reports and treatment costs of your injuries.
- Testimony from a doctor.
- Expert testimony.
Perhaps the most difficult part about a legal case is establishing the fault of the defendant’s party. The process requires in-depth knowledge of the particular type of legal case, a thorough investigation into the accident, and special resources and contacts. Nevertheless, it is nothing a skilled Marrero slip and fall accident lawyer can’t handle.
Types of Damages Can You Recover
Depending on your case, you can recover various damages from a slip and fall accident claim. Usually, victims think they can only recover compensation for their medical injuries, but that is the farthest from reality. An accident can impact a victim’s life in various ways, and it is important to recognize all of those areas when calculating compensation.
With the assistance of an attorney, you may be able to recover some or all of the following damages.
- Medical costs, including appointments, surgery, medication, travel expenses to the doctor, hospital parking costs, etc.
- Future medical treatment costs
- Lost income or wages due to absence from work
- Lost or reduced future earning capacity due to permanent bodily injuries
- Out-of-pocket expenses, such as a nanny taking care of your child while you are recovering
- Punitive damages (this only applies when the defendant’s conduct was egregious)
- Pain and suffering, mental anguish, therapy costs for mental illnesses like depression, etc.
- Wrongful death (to be collected by the close relatives of the victim)
Our Law Firm Can Help You
A slip and fall accident can cause medical conditions that can have a lasting impact on your life. You must seek justice by filing a compensation claim with the defendant’s insurance company.
Allow our experienced, skilled, and highly knowledgeable slip and fall accident lawyers in Marrero to examine your case and discover your best legal options. We will carefully analyze each part of the case, effectively negotiate with the insurance company and bring you the highest settlement possible. Call for a free consultation today.
to find a Morris Bart office near you.