If you have been injured in a car accident in Marrero, LA, an experienced car accident attorney in Marrero can provide information to you about the personal injury claims process, which you can use to seek compensation for the expenses and psychological impacts of your injury.
How does the Personal Injury Claims Process Work?
Generally, after a person has been injured in a Marrero car accident, they hire an experienced Marrero car accident attorney to assist them with the process. The attorney investigates the claim in order to determine all sources of liability and all insurance resources that can be accessed in order to provide compensation. The attorney will also establish a value to the claim, based on the severity of the injury that was suffered, and the expenses and impacts that have already been incurred or will likely be experienced in the future.
Once a value to the claim is established, the claimant’s attorney will submit a demand to the at-fault party’s insurance provider. The provider can either accept the claim and pay it, deny it and notify the claimant of the reason for the denial, or offer to settle the claim for less than its value.
If a settlement is offered, your attorney can negotiate with the insurer in order to get them to increase their offer. If the insurer fails to provide an offer that fairly compensates you for the expenses and impacts of your injury, the claim can be filed as a personal injury lawsuit so that the court can determine liability and fair compensation.
For a free legal consultation with a Car Accident lawyer serving Marrero, call 800-537-8185
How Long Do You Have to File a Car Accident Lawsuit in Marrero?
Certain types of legal claims have a deadline on which they must be filed in court, including personal injury claims. If the at-fault party’s insurance provider fails to provide you with an offer that fairly compensates the expenses and impacts of your injury, you must file your Marrero car accident lawsuit within a year of the date on which the accident occurred, according to La. Civ. Code Art. 3492. This statute of limitations is shorter than most states, which allow 2-4 years for personal injury claims.
It should be noted that even if you file a car accident lawsuit, the at-fault party’s insurance provider can still make settlement offers after the suit is filed, and even after the trial has begun, as long as a verdict has not yet been rendered.
Marrero Car Accident Lawyer Near Me 800-537-8185
Proving Who Was Liable for Your Car Accident
The term “liability” refers to the legal responsibility of the at-fault party for causing the accident that resulted in your injury. In order to have a successful outcome for your claim, one of the most important things you must prove is liability, and you can do so by showing these elements in your claim:
- The at-fault party had a duty of care to avoid causing injuries to others while driving on Marrero’s roads.
- They breached the duty of care when they took reckless or careless action.
- This breach led to the accident that caused you to sustain injuries and otherwise unnecessary expenses.
Types of Compensation Available After a Marrero Car Accident
Individuals who have been injured in Louisiana car accidents can recover economic and non-economic damages. Economic damages refer to compensation for the expenses of your injury, while non-economic damages refer to compensation for the psychological impacts of the accident and your injuries.
Some examples of the types of expenses and impacts that commonly appear in Marrero car accident damage claims include:
- Medical expenses, including future costs and the provision of long-term care
- The loss of wages and future earning capacity
- Property damage, including repairing or replacing your vehicle
- Physical pain and suffering and/or emotional distress resulting from the accident
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
How a Marrero Car Accident Lawyer Can Assist You with Your Claim
The most important thing a personal injury attorney brings to your claim is experience, both with the legal process as well as with the needs of clients who have suffered serious injuries as a result of car accidents. With over 100 skilled attorneys and 150 legal professionals throughout 15 offices in Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, and Arkansas, the legal team for Morris Bart is well-positioned to provide legal services to their clients, including:
- Determining liability and insurance
- Establishing a value to the claim that reflects the severity of the injury and the past, current, and future expenses and impacts associated with it
- Managing communication with the at-fault party’s insurer
- Providing guidance to the client during the settlement negotiation process so they can make informed decisions on the status of their claim
- Filing a personal injury lawsuit within the statute of limitations
- Gathering evidence and witness testimony in order to prove the claim
- Litigation services
- Assistance in collecting the settlement or award at the resolution of the case
Contact a Car Accident Lawyer in Marrero for Help
Car accidents can be complex. Let a Marrero car accident lawyer help you understand how to obtain compensation for your injuries. Contact us online for your free case evaluation.
to find a Morris Bart office near you.