In many car accidents in Decatur and throughout Alabama, victims suffer severe injuries and may need medical care for an extended period. Therefore, it is essential for car accident victims to get the compensation they need to recover from their injuries and other losses after a crash. However, the legal recovery process can be complicated and may require several steps depending on the facts of the accident.
A Decatur car accident attorney from the Morris Bart law firm can work with you to navigate the process of claiming compensation. We take the time to understand how your injuries affect your life and build the evidence needed to support your settlement value.
Our Injury Attorneys Can Help After a Car Accident in Decatur
According to the Alabama Department of Transportation, over 2,100 car accidents in Decatur in 2019 resulted in 483 injuries and nine deaths. Some of the most dangerous roads in The River City include SR 67 (The Beltline), Moulton Street, and Central Parkway. If you sustained injuries in a car crash anywhere in Decatur or Morgan County, the Morris Bart law firm could help with your case in these ways:
- Listening to the facts of your case and providing insight on the possible legal options that may apply
- Calculating an adequate value that represents all your losses from the crash
- Drafting your initial demand letter and other documentation to initiate your claim for compensation formally
- Negotiating on your behalf to counter potentially inadequate settlement offers and claims of contributory negligence from the insurance company
- Handling all communication with the other side and compiling all the evidence needed to justify your claim
- Ensuring you meet the statute of limitations and other deadlines that may apply in your case
It is essential to carefully navigate the claims process after a car accident to protect your right to compensation for your injuries. We can help you work toward recovering the compensation you deserve at every stage of your claim.
For a free legal consultation with a Car Accident lawyer serving Decatur, call (256) 666-3010
Understanding how Much Your Car Accident Case is Worth
To understand how much your claim is worth after a car accident in Decatur, you will first need to know the types of damages that may be available in your case. Then, depending on the facts of your case, you could recover compensation for both your out-of-pocket monetary and subjective losses.
Some of the damages you could claim include:
- Medical expenses for present and future health care
- Lost wages for present and future work missed while recovering from your injuries
- Property damage to your vehicle and other belongings due to the crash, including diminished value
- Pain and suffering related to the accident or your injuries
- Disfigurement or impairment if you sustained severe, life-altering injuries
- Emotional distress – including PTSD, depression, or anxiety – associated with the accident
- Loss of enjoyment if you can no longer do the activities you did before the crash
After a car accident in Decatur, our injury lawyers can help you determine the actual damages that you could request in your claim for compensation.
Factors That Can Impact Your Case Value
Several factors related to the facts of your crash can impact the overall value of your case. We’ll consider these factors when placing a value on your claim:
- The severity of your injuries
- Your long-term prognosis and expected time to recover
- The impact your injuries have on your life
- The Alabama insurance policies involved
- Your total monetary losses due to the crash
- The strength of the evidence in your case
Our car accident attorneys in Decatur can help you determine how different circumstances in your case may affect the amount of your settlement.
Decatur Car Accident Lawyer Near Me (256) 666-3010
Is There a Time Limit to File My Case After an Accident in Decatur?
If you cannot reach a settlement agreement with the other party and their insurance company, you may need to file your case with the appropriate Alabama court. Keep in mind,you only have two years from the date of the accident to file a personal injury lawsuit, according to Ala. Code § 6-2-38.
However, if you only file a case related to property damage, you will have up to six years to file your lawsuit under Ala. Code § 6-2-34. In cases involving a fatal car accident, Ala. Code § 6-5-410 gives the surviving family two years to file a wrongful death claim.
It is essential to remember that additional deadlines may apply in your case that could shorten these time limits, so it is important to work quickly.
How Much does It Cost to Hire an Accident Lawyer?
As part of our commitment to helping injured victims, we work on a contingency fee basis, requiring no upfront fees from you. Instead, we only receive a payment if we recover a settlement – and then, we receive a percentage of your award. We may also collect court costs and related fees, depending on the facts of your case.
To get started, we offer a free no-obligation consultation with a lawyer to discuss your case and possible legal options for recovery.
Our Past Car Accident Case Results
For over 40 years, our car accident attorneys have provided legal representation to injured victims. Some of our past case results for car accident victims include:
- $852,845 for a car accident victim with facial fractures
- $580,000 for a car accident involving cervical disc replacement
- $450,000 for a car accident victim who needed lower back surgery
Your exact settlement amount will vary depending on the specific facts of your case.
Contact Morris Bart & Associates, LLC, After a Car Accident
If you’ve sustained injuries in a car crash in Decatur, our personal injury lawyers could help you navigate the process of recovering compensation for your losses. Although the claims process can be complicated, our legal team can help you every step of the way.
Call us today at (256) 666-3010 to schedule an appointment at our Huntsville office to speak with a lawyer about your car accident case.
Questions?Call (256) 666-3010
to find a Morris Bart office near you.