After being involved in a car accident, you may be overwhelmed by what you have lost and feel it’s difficult to heal from your injuries. You are not the only one who finds this time uncertain and wants some help deciding what to do next.
A car accident lawyer in Lafayette can protect your rights and help you hold the negligent driver responsible for causing the accident and your injuries. An attorney can pursue compensation for your losses on your behalf while you focus on your recovery.
Common Causes of Car Accidents in Lafayette
There are a variety of negligent behaviors that cause car accidents in Lafayette. Identifying the cause can help determine negligence in your case. Some of the more common causes include:
- Distracted driving: Different behaviors such as eating, applying makeup, talking to passengers, changing the radio, and texting and driving, take the driver’s hands, focus, and eyes off the road.
- Drowsy driving: The National Highway Traffic and Safety Administration estimated that 91,000 police-reported accidents in 2017 were caused by drowsy driving.
- Driving under the influence: According to Louisiana Revised Statute §14:98, if the driver has a blood alcohol concentration of 0.08% or higher they could be looking at additional charges on top of your civil personal injury case.
- Reckless driving: Different behaviors such as tailgating, speeding, rapidly changing lanes, failing to signal, or disregarding stop signs and traffic signals can be considered reckless.
For a free legal consultation with a Car Accident lawyer serving Lafayette, call 800-537-8185
What Your Car Accident Attorney Can Do For You
A car accident lawyer in Lafayette will be there for you through every step of the legal process. Your attorney can:
- Gather evidence
- Investigate the cause of your car crash
- Determine negligence
- Establish liability
- Calculate the value of your case
- Negotiate with the insurance company
If your personal injury case does not settle through negotiation, your car accident lawyer can represent you in court before the judge and jury and fight to protect your rights.
Lafayette Car Accident Lawyer Near Me 800-537-8185
Damages You Can Collect After a Car Accident
Every accident is different, and so there is no way we can estimate the types of damages that you might be able to recover in your car accident. Some damages victims are able to recover include:
- Medical expenses, including surgical procedures, doctor’s examinations, medical treatments, and the cost of assistive devices
- Lost wages
- Future wages if you have lost your ability to work
- Pain and suffering
- Disfigurement or dismemberment
If your family member died as a result of the accident, you may be able to recover damages on their behalf, such as:
- Funeral and burial expenses
- Loss of consortium
- Loss of support and protection
- Wages and benefits previously provided by the deceased
Your Lafayette car accident attorney can inform you of any additional compensation you qualify to receive based on the specifics of your case and damages.
Laws in Louisiana That May Impact Your Claim
There are two laws you should be aware of in regards to your personal injury claim. They are the statute of limitations and the law of comparative negligence.
Statute of Limitations
Many states have a statute of limitations that allows between two and five years to pursue compensation. In Louisiana anyone who wants to file a lawsuit to recover compensation for their losses after a car accident must file their claim within one year of the date of the accident, as per Louisiana Code §3492.
This law is in place to allocate damages in the event that multiple parties are found responsible. According to comparative negligence, if you are partially responsible for causing the accident, any compensation that you are awarded will be reduced by your degree of liability. For example, if you are 20% responsible, your original compensation of $10,000 would be reduced to $8,000.
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
Costs for a Lafayette Car Accident Attorney
Our personal injury lawyers work on a contingency-fee basis. This means you do not have to pay for anything out of pocket, unless you collect a settlement or award. You have nothing to lose by contacting a Lafayette car accident lawyer.
Attorney’s fees are typically 33.33%, or 1/3, of your total reward. This number can fluctuate depending on if your case was settled through negotiation or was taken to trial.
A Lafayette Car Accident Lawyer Is Ready To Help
The team at Morris Bart, LLC can help take some of the weight that comes with legal work off of your shoulders. While you give yourself time to heal from your injuries, we can build a strong case to pursue compensation.
Our compassionate lawyers serve car accident victims across the greater Lafayette area. To find out what options you have for recovering compensation, contact us for your free consultation.
to find a Morris Bart office near you.