If you were injured in a car accident that was not your fault, you might be feeling some frustration. You might have medical bills to pay or are missing work.
Achieving a fair settlement against the negligent party that caused your accident and injuries can be a tricky process. Insurance companies may not offer you the compensation that genuinely reflects the pain, suffering, and costs for your medical care—both now and in the future.
The Morris Bart law firm is ready to represent your interests with the insurance company. The Biloxi car accident lawyers on our team can work on your behalf and fight for your rights after a car crash. Call us today at (228) 357-9621 for a free case review.
Mississippi Car Crashes
When you are involved in a serious car crash in Mississippi, police officers will investigate the accident. The officers will attempt to determine who was at fault for the crash, potentially issuing traffic citations if one driver violated state traffic laws.
If you bring a personal injury lawsuit against the driver of the vehicle that struck you, you will need to prove that the other driver acted negligently.
If the other driver did not follow state laws for operating a motor vehicle—including those related to the Mississippi Department of Transportation’s traffic safety program—the police may have ticketed the driver. If the other driver committed a violation, this could be a key piece of evidence in helping to prove the other driver acted negligently.
Causes for Car Accidents
Some of the most common reasons that car accidents occur in Mississippi and elsewhere include:
- Drunk driving: Any driver who has been drinking alcohol or taking drugs before driving could be unable to operate their motor vehicle safely, resulting in an accident.
- Distracted driving: A driver may be using a smartphone, adjusting the radio, eating food, or performing other activities inside the car, resulting in an inability to operate the vehicle safely and possibly resulting in a crash.
- Weather and road conditions: Drivers must reduce their speed when weather and road conditions are less than ideal. Failure to do so could result in loss of control of the vehicle, resulting in a crash.
- Reckless driving: A driver may be violating traffic laws by speeding, failing to maintain a lane, following too closely, or committing other violations, resulting in a crash.
- Unsafe commercial vehicles: A commercial driver may not have maintained or loaded the truck in the proper manner, resulting in a malfunction and a crash with another car on the road.
For a free legal consultation with a Car Accident lawyer serving Biloxi, call 800-537-8185
Dangers of Driving in Mississippi
Mississippi is one of the most dangerous states in the country for drivers. In 2016, Mississippi led the United States with 23.1 car accident deaths per 100,000 residents. Mississippi’s rate of fatal accidents in 2016 was roughly double the national average of 11.6 deaths per 100,000 residents.
In 2017, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration reported that Mississippi had 31,287 crashes that resulted in injury. Of those, 6,275 crashes resulted in moderate or life-threatening injuries.
Protecting the Rights of Injured Drivers
With such a high number of fatalities and injuries on the roads in Mississippi, you might want to consider having representation from a Biloxi car accident lawyer after your crash. If your injuries are serious, you may need the help of an attorney to reach a fair settlement with the other driver’s insurance company.
At the Morris Bart law firm, our team will work on your behalf to help you get the compensation you deserve. Call us today at (228) 357-9621 for a free consultation.
Biloxi Car Accident Lawyer Near Me 800-537-8185
Damages You Could Recover
After you have suffered injuries in a car accident, you may wonder what kinds of compensation you may be eligible to receive through a personal injury lawsuit. There are no guarantees of recovery amounts in personal injury cases, as each case has specific facts that are unique to the case and will affect the outcome.
However, you can request damages related to your injuries, including:
- Medical bills: You could receive awards for the costs of your visits to doctors, physical therapists, and specialists.
- Hospitalization bills: You can receive damages to cover the costs of your hospitalization related to the accident, including an ambulance trip after the crash and any surgeries you may require.
- Equipment for care: You may need specialized equipment for walking, sleeping, and other aspects of your life after the crash to help you deal with your injuries more effectively.
- Lost wages: You can receive reimbursement for any time you missed at work in the aftermath of the accident, as well as any wages you may not be able to receive in the future.
- Emotional trauma: You can receive awards for pain and suffering, including for conditions like PTSD, sleeplessness, nightmares, and other emotional traumas that affect your quality of life.
Seek Medical Treatment
After a car accident in which people were injured, the aftermath can be extremely chaotic. Police officers and other first responders will arrive on the scene. You may be in a state of shock, unsure how the accident could have occurred.
You may not feel like you are hurt seriously right after the crash, refusing a trip to the hospital in an ambulance. We always recommend seeing a physician, as some injuries may not be immediately visible. You might realize the next day that your pain is much worse. However, you still can see a doctor and receive a full diagnosis of your injuries.
Let Us Represent Your Interests
With a doctor’s plan for treatment in hand, you will be able to work on healing. A Biloxi car accident lawyer can use the diagnosis from the doctor to help you figure out a fair settlement amount to request from the insurer for the driver who caused your accident.
Call the Morris Bart law firm today at (228) 357-9621 for a free consultation. Our team can negotiate with the insurer on your behalf and work to help you receive the settlement you deserve for your pain and suffering.
to find a Morris Bart office near you.