If you were hurt in a collision caused by a truck driver, you may have a compensation claim against that trucker and their employer. A Lafayette LA 18-wheeler truck accident lawyer from the Morris Bart law firm will discuss your case with you today for free.
With the help of one of our truck accident attorneys, you may be eligible to seek and secure justice in your case by holding the responsible parties liable. We may be able to build a solid claim and recover compensation on your behalf.
Recovering Compensation for Damages in an 18 Wheeler Accident
Our team prepares and files insurance claims for our clients. We investigate what happened, prove negligence and liability, and demand a just payout for our clients hurt in truck collisions. We know how to navigate this process and recover the financial compensation our clients need to pay their bills and cover losses.
The recoverable damages in these claims include:
- Medical bills and all related expenses
- Future care for accident injuries and associated conditions
- Lost wages and other income
- Diminished earning capacity
- Property damages, including car repair or replacement
- Other miscellaneous losses
- Pain and suffering
We also pursue wrongful death cases as allowed under La. Civ. Code Art. 2315.2. This type of claim recovers compensation for families who lost a loved one because of an 18-wheeler crash in Lafayette. Immediate family members who can recover damages include:
- Parents, if the victim is a minor child or there is evidence of financial losses.
The damages in these cases include:
- Funeral and burial costs
- Medical bills related to the accident injuries and death
- Loss of future income
- Loss of benefits, such as medical coverage and retirement
- Loss of inheritance
- Mental anguish and other pain and suffering damages suffered by survivors
- Loss of companionship
- Loss of guidance and support
- Loss of consortium
For a free legal consultation with a 18 Wheeler Truck Accident lawyer serving Lafayette, call (337) 446-4571
Let Our Truck Accident Attorneys Protect Your Right to Seek Compensation
We are a contingency fee personal injury firm headquartered in Louisiana. We serve four states across the Gulf South: Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, and Arkansas. Our Lafayette office is:
400 E Kaliste Saloom Rd, Suite 1300
Lafayette, LA 70508, United States
We recovered compensation for more than 6,500 clients in 2019, getting justice for thousands of accident victims either through negotiated settlements or at a civil trial. Our attorneys may be able to help you with your 18-wheeler accident case, as well. Recent case results in Louisiana include:
- $852,845 payout in a New Orleans traffic accident that left the victim suffering neck and back pain and facial fractures
- $650,000 for a drunk driving accident that left a driver with a broken arm, back, ribs, leg, hip, and pelvis in Monroe
- $550,000 compensation in a Shreveport hit and run crash that caused the victim to need spinal surgery for a protruding and herniated disc
Our team can usually settle these claims out of court. However, our trial attorneys will not hesitate to sue the liable parties if necessary in any case we handle. We will take our client’s case to a Lafayette Parish civil court and ask the judge and jury to award compensation based on the case we present.
Lafayette 18 Wheeler Truck Accident Lawyer Near Me (337) 446-4571
Liability in a Truck Accident Claim Can Be Complex
The truck driver who caused your crash is generally not the only liable party in a Lafayette 18 wheeler accident claim or lawsuit. When we investigate the crash and determine what happened, we may find that the driver’s carelessness or recklessness caused the crash. This could include:
- Violating traffic laws
- Distracted driving
- Drowsy or fatigued driving
- Intoxicated driving
- Reckless or aggressive driving
- Inexperience or poor training
No matter what the driver did to cause the collision, Louisiana law allows us to hold their employer vicariously liable in most situations. Under Louisiana Civil Code Article 2320, we can use the legal doctrine of respondeat superior to build a case against the trucking company. This is possible when:
- The truck driver causes the crash
- They were working when the accident occurred
- Their current actions, such as driving, were within the scope of their job
This means we file claims for our clients based on the trucking company’s liability policy. This is often a corporate policy with much higher limits than exist in most typical car accident cases. This may be especially important if our client suffered serious, lasting injuries.
When we hold a trucking company accountable for their driver’s negligent actions, we can seek all the necessary compensation from their insurer and hold them liable.
In some cases, we may instead have a claim based on the company’s own negligence. This occurs most commonly when they negligently hired or retained the driver on their payroll despite known dangers. However, it can also happen if they failed to maintain the truck, make necessary repairs, or took steps to violate safety regulations knowingly.
Louisiana Law Limits Your Time to Take Legal Action Against the At-Fault Party
In most cases, you do not have to sue the trucking company to recover compensation in a Lafayette truck accident case. Most of our cases settle during negotiations with the insurance companies. Occasionally, we may need to sue because:
- There are disputed facts of the crash
- The insurer will not accept responsibility for their policyholder
- We are running out of time
Louisiana has one of the shortest periods to sue in the county, offering victims only one year after the crash in most cases under La. Civ. Code Art. 3492. However, we like to get started quickly, anyway. This allows us to gather evidence that might otherwise disappear before we had the opportunity, building a stronger case for our clients.
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
Discuss Your 18 Wheeler Accident Case with Our Office for Free Today
You can discuss your crash, injuries, rights, and legal options with a team member from the Morris Bart law firm for free today. We provide complimentary, no-obligation consultations. In addition, we will answer your questions and explain how we would handle your case.
To learn how an 18 wheeler truck accident attorney in Lafayette can help you, call (337) 446-4571 today.
Questions?Call (337) 446-4571
to find a Morris Bart office near you.