Most people only see garbage trucks once a week on trash day. If you’re unlucky, you might get stuck behind one of these slow-moving behemoths on the road. Unfortunately, sanitation vehicles like these can cause serious destruction when involved in a traffic accident.
In 2017 alone, there were 2,430 accidents involving garbage trucks. If you or a loved one sustained injuries in a garbage truck crash, our garbage truck accident lawyers in Birmingham can help you. You are entitled to recover from your financial losses after your collision.
Causes of Garbage Truck Accidents
Many factors are at play when it comes to garbage truck accidents. Inclimate weather, vehicle size, and human error can all lead to a collision. Causes of garbage trucks can include:
- Texting and driving
- Drinking and driving
- Failing to keep a safe following distance
- Failing to use turn signals
- Large blind spots
- Poor truck maintenance
- Defective vehicle parts
Your dedicated garbage truck accident lawyer in Birmingham can review the facts of your case to determine the cause of your accident. You can pursue a personal injury lawsuit against a negligent driver or another liable party.
For a free legal consultation with a Garbage Truck Accident lawyer serving Birmingham, call (205) 380-4158
Possible Compensation for a Garbage Truck Accident
You may be left with injuries or a permanent disability after a garbage truck crash. A garbage truck accident attorney in Birmingham can review the results of your accident to ascertain what compensation you stand to reclaim. You could recover damages for:
- Medical bills
- Physical therapy
- Lost wages
- Property damage
If you lost a loved one to fatal injuries resulting from a garbage truck accident, your family may file a wrongful death lawsuit. This could help offset the cost of their hospital bills and burial expenses.
Birmingham Garbage Truck Accident Lawyer Near Me (205) 380-4158
Determining Liability in Garbage Truck Accident Cases
When you work with our law firm, we launch our own investigation to determine liability. We can help you hold the responsible party accountable for the damage they caused you. This may include:
- The garbage truck driver
- The driver’s employer
- Maintenance team
- Other drivers
Alabama is an at-fault state. That means the driver who caused the accident will use their auto insurance to pay for other drivers’ damages resulting from the crash. If an insurance payout will not cover your losses, you can sue the negligent driver in civil court.
The Statute of Limitations Puts Time Limits on Your Claim
A garbage truck accident could leave you with a long road to recovery or lifelong damage. Unfortunately, you only have two years to take legal action. If you let the time limits provided in the statute of limitations expire, you will be unable to recover compensation.
Even if you think your accident was minor, you might not experience injury symptoms until months or years later. It’s in your best interest to get in touch with a garbage truck accident attorney in Birmingham as soon as possible.
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
Birmingham Garbage Truck Accident FAQ
Not all claims processes are clear-cut when dealing with a garbage truck accident in Birmingham, AL. When you have questions, a Birmingham garbage truck accident lawyer can answer.
What Happens if a Garbage Truck Hits Your Car in Birmingham?
If your car has been hit by a garbage truck, you want to treat it as you would any other auto wreck. These massive vehicles can cause severe damage and injury. Following a garbage truck accident, you’ll want to:
- Check yourself and any passengers for injuries: If anyone is injured, dial 911 immediately for EMS. If you are not injured, or no injury is immediately apparent, check on the safety of anyone else involved in the accident.
- Only speak when necessary: Do not admit fault, do not apologize, do not say that you’re not injured, and do not speculate about who is at fault. The more you say out loud, the more it can hurt your chances of compensation. Your words can be used against you.
- Get contact information: Obtain the truck driver’s name, license information, contact details, their employer, and their employer’s insurer. You may be dealing with a local municipality, which can further complicate matters and put restrictions on your ability to pursue compensation. This information will be crucial. If possible, get contact information for any witnesses as well.
- Gather as much evidence as possible: Take as many photos and videos of the scene, damages, and any visible injuries to use as part of your claim. Take note of any weather or road conditions, as they might have played a role in the crash. Also, preserve any damaged property or debris from your vehicle.
- Report the accident to the police: If you had no need to call 911 for immediate injuries right away, you’ll still need an accident report on record. Police can arrive on the scene to take statements and write a report.
- Notify your insurance provider: Though you should be reimbursed by the at-fault party, your insurance will help cover the costs of any repairs and injuries that require immediate attention. They’ll need to know you were just in an accident to have a report on record.
- Talk to a garbage truck accident attorney: Going up against a garbage trucking company or municipality is not only complicated but there are further time limit restrictions that shorten your window on the statute of limitations. Filing a claim against a city or local municipality requires a written notice of your intent within six months of your injury. For a county, it’s one year. An attorney can help you navigate this process and ensure the claim is filed on time.
Not every Alabama garbage truck accident occurs with another vehicle on the road. Sometimes, garbage trucks will hit parked cars on residential streets. If you’re unsure what to do when the accident occurred to your parked car when you were not around to witness it, speak to a lawyer right away.
Can You Afford to Hire a Garbage Truck Accident Lawyer?
Our law firm understands how an accident can wreak havoc on your finances. You may encounter unexpected car repair bills and high medical bills, along with the inability to work. It can be especially troubling if you’ve been living paycheck to paycheck before the collision.
We don’t let upfront fees block you from legal assistance. We work on a contingency fee basis so we only get paid when you do. If we are unable to secure a financial settlement, you won’t owe us anything. When you work with us, your first priority is to focus on your recovery.
Let Our Birmingham Garbage Truck Accident Lawyers Assist You
A garbage truck accident can change your life in an instant. A Birmingham garbage truck accident attorney can keep your case on track while your injuries heal. Call Morris Bart & Associates, LLC today. We’re available 24/7 to schedule your free, no-obligation consultation.
Questions?Call (205) 380-4158
to find a Morris Bart office near you.