On Alabama Roads: What to Do After a Commercial Truck Accident
Commercial truck wrecks are different in some ways than car wrecks, and knowing the proper steps to take if you get into a truck accident on an Alabama road or Interstate Highway through Alabama can not only save lives, but also make any legal issues that come up a lot easier to handle.
For starters, the severity of injuries sustained by victims of truck accidents can be much greater than with car accidents. Commercial trucks are obviously much larger in size and weight than regular cars, weighing as much as 80,000 pounds, and it is not uncommon for the results of an accident to reflect that.
Further, the maze of legal and insurance issues that a victim must navigate following a commercial truck accident is typically much more complicated than that of a car wreck. There is a much larger body of laws governing commercial trucks, regulations which govern how the commercial insurance companies investigate the accident and assess damages in order to determine liability. This makes it imperative to take the proper steps following a truck accident – and to have professional assistance from a skilled truck accident attorney. Responding appropriately after the accident (assuming you are able to do so) can put you in an infinitely better position to recover compensation if you make a personal injury claim.
For a free legal consultation, call 800-537-8185
SIX STEPS TO TAKE AFTER A COMMERCIAL TRUCK WRECK:
- Call 911. Request emergency medical assistance if needed. Even if your injuries do not seem serious, you should still contact the police. An officer will compile an accident report, which your personal-injury attorney can use to prove negligence and liability.
- Get medical attention! Check yourself and other people for injuries.
- Take pictures. Photos of the crash scene can tell the story of how the collision unfolded. Your auto accident lawyer may use photographs to support your claim.
- Get names and contact information of witnesses. Don’t worry about getting their story down; your attorney can contact them later.
- Visit your doctor. Doctors’ records will help your attorney to prove the existence of any injuries caused by the wreck and to calculate damages.
- Contact a personal injury attorney. Truck accident cases can be extremely complicated. A skilled truck accident lawyer can gather evidence, interview witnesses, calculate your damages and help you fight for the highest possible compensation.
At Morris Bart, LLC, you will find a personal injury attorney with the knowledge, resources, and litigation experience to represent your interests.
to find a Morris Bart office near you.