If you suffered injuries in an accident with a trash truck, the last thing you should have to deal with is a claims adjuster. You need someone on your side. A Covington garbage truck accident lawyer can help. When Morris Bart, LLC handles your claim, you get to devote your energy and attention to getting well. We can deal directly with the insurance company so that you do not have to do so. You can call us today at (504) 613-4771 for a free, no-obligation consultation.
Trash Truck Accidents Are Unique
People hurt in crashes with garbage trucks can tell you that the experience can be far worse than a standard motor vehicle accident. The compactor truck is generally heavier than your standard car, which means that it can cause more severe personal injuries than a car. In addition to the weight, the items in the load can come crashing down on surrounding vehicles. Also, because of its weight, it takes longer for a loaded large truck to stop to avoid a wreck. An otherwise avoidable collision might be a foregone conclusion if the waste management truck is traveling too fast to stop in time or the driver gets distracted.
For a free legal consultation with a Garbage Truck Accident lawyer serving Covington, call 800-537-8185
Establishing Liability in Personal Injury Claims
Before we can go after compensation for your injuries, we must prove the elements of liability against the at-fault driver. We must establish all four of these factors:
- Duty of care: the defendant must have owed you a duty of care. Let’s say that the garbage truck driver is the defendant in your injury claim. All drivers have a legal responsibility to drive with caution for the circumstances.
- Breach of the duty of care: if the defendant was rushing to finish their route, he might have been driving too fast for the residential area in which he was collecting. Driving too fast for the conditions is negligence, even if his speed was within the speed limit.
- Causation: if the driver was operating the waste collection truck at an unsafe speed, he might not have been able to stop in time to avoid hitting a car in front of him. The trash truck driver’s negligence caused him to crash into the back of the vehicle.
- Measurable losses: the driver in the car sustained physical injuries in the accident. Physical harm satisfies the requirement that the plaintiff (injured person) can prove quantifiable damages.
After we show all four of these elements, we can go after the negligent party for compensation.
Covington Garbage Truck Accident Lawyer Near Me 800-537-8185
Three Pitfalls to Avoid After Garbage Truck Accidents
We suggest that you avoid doing these three pitfalls that could hamper your right to money damages or decrease the value of your case:
Do Not Delay Getting Medical Attention After Your Wreck
Going to the doctor or emergency room is not pleasant. It can be tempting to try to tough it out when injured instead of getting prompt medical attention. After an injury in a collision with a garbage truck, you should get an evaluation of your personal injuries by a healthcare professional right away, because:
- Some wounds will not heal correctly without immediate treatment.
- You might have hidden bodily injuries, like internal bleeding or a blood clot in the brain, that could quickly become life-threatening.
- Your medical records will be vital evidence in proving your personal injury claim by linking the accident to the harm you sustained.
Any delay in seeking medical attention could lead to the defendant arguing that you suffered injuries from something else, not the trash truck wreck.
Do Not Sign Anything from the Insurance Company Without Reading It First
When you are in pain, you should not have to make crucial decisions or sign legally binding papers. The claims adjuster might pressure you to sign documents without explaining the legal significance of those papers. You might sign away your right to get paid for your losses. A truck accident attorney can review the forms from the insurance company and advise you about your legal rights. The injury attorney can also let you know if the settlement offer is fair and reasonable in light of the extent of your injuries. Many people who accept a settlement offer without legal guidance find out when it is too late that they should have gotten much more money. You can call Morris Bart, LLC to help you navigate the claims process and go after an appropriate personal injury settlement. Call us today at (504) 613-4771 for a free case evaluation.
Do Not Settle Your Injury Claim Before You Complete Medical Treatment
The insurer might try to get you to settle your injury claim before you have finished all your medical treatment. The risk in doing this is that you might need additional treatment, like surgery, if you do not heal completely from the initial round of therapy that your doctor prescribed. If you already settled your case, the insurance company will not pay you any more money. You will have to pay for the operation out of your pocket. Also, if you have ongoing problems after treatment, you will not get compensated for them.
Recoverable Damages After Being Hit by a Compactor Truck
The amount of monetary compensation you can get will depend on the facts of your situation. Here are some of the damages we have won for our clients:
- Medical expenses
- Specialized treatment center
- Long-term care
- Lost wages
- Diminished earning capacity
- Pain and suffering
- And more
If your loved one died from injuries sustained in a collision with a compactor truck, a Covington garbage truck accident lawyer can help pursue additional damages.
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
Contact a Personal Injury Lawyer in Covington for Help Today
At Morris Bart, LLC, we help people who suffer severe injuries from the carelessness of others. Call us today at (504) 613-4771. We can evaluate your injury claim and explain your right to recover for your losses, but do not wait too long. Louisiana’s statute of limitations, article 3492, limits your time to file a lawsuit to one year, so please, call us today.
to find a Morris Bart office near you.