When a drunk driver causes a traffic accident and you sustain injuries as a result, you may file an insurance claim or personal injury lawsuit. You can recover compensation for your accident-related damages, whether or not your case goes to court. Our Birmingham DUI lawyer can guide you through the process.
Our DUI lawyers in Birmingham represent victims of accidents caused by negligent motorists who were driving under the influence (DUI). If you or a loved one has been injured, we can protect your rights and guide you through your claim in pursuit of compensation.
Damages You Can Recover in a Birmingham DUI Accident Case
If you were hurt in an accident caused by drunk driving, our Birmingham car accident attorney can help you recover damages. If you choose to work with us, we will seek to recover a payout for the damages we document during our investigation.
Damages you can recover may include:
- Current and future medical care related to your injuries
- Lost wages and diminished earning capacity
- Pain and suffering
- Mental anguish
- Property damages, including any repairs needed for your vehicle
Wrongful death damages
- Any relevant out-of-pocket expenses
We will help you determine which damages apply to your case. Our team will build a DUI accident case that helps you recover the compensation you need.
For a free legal consultation with a DUI Accident lawyer serving Birmingham, call 800-537-8185
How Much Is Your DUI Accident Case Worth?
During your free consultation, you can discuss the details of your case with an experienced DUI attorney. To determine the value of your case, our Birmingham DUI lawyer and law team will need to know:
- The extent of your injuries
- Whether you are healed or still recovering
- If your car was damaged in the accident
- Any accident-related expenses you encountered
We can review your case to give you a better understanding of how much your case is worth. The amount of compensation you can recover will depend on the details of your case.
How Insurance Companies Handle DUI Cases
Our Birmingham DUI lawyers can deal with the insurance company for you. It’s common for the defendant’s insurer to use sneaky tactics, such as:
- Telling the judge that alcohol did not play a factor in your injury
- Denying you were ever injured at all
- Denying the amount you initially claim
- Reaching out to you after the accident in an attempt to use what you say against you
- Offering you a lowball settlement that does not cover the value of your total losses
Our law firm can communicate with the insurer on your behalf and negotiate with them if your claim gets denied.
How Our Birmingham Car Accident Lawyers Can Help You
Working with a Birmingham DUI lawyer can help your case. Our lawyers can handle legal responsibilities while you concentrate on your recovery. This can include:
- Pursuing fair compensation
- Handling all communications and casework
- Collecting evidence from the accident and of your damages
- Negotiating and running interference with insurance companies
- Representing you in court
If your family member was killed in a DUI accident, our team of compassionate wrongful death lawyers in Birmingham may be able to help you pursue compensation. By filing a wrongful death lawsuit, the defendant can face additional financial penalties and you can get justice for your loved one.
Our Birmingham DUI Lawyers Can Help Prove Negligence
To show the other driver was liable for your accident, you need to prove negligence. To accomplish this, you need to show:
- The driver owed you a duty of care, such as obeying traffic laws.
- The driver failed to uphold that obligation, such as running a red light.
- Their failure caused the accident and your injuries.
- You suffered physical injuries and financial losses.
Our Birmingham DUI attorneys can investigate the cause of your accident and gather evidence to prove your claim.
What Is Considered Drunk Driving in Alabama?
Alabama Code §32-5A-191 is the criminal statute that makes it illegal to drive while under the influence of alcohol, drugs, or any other impairing substance. Under this law, drivers who have a blood alcohol content (BAC) of 0.08% or above are considered impaired. They should be held liable if they caused an accident that hurt you.
We can gather evidence that proves the other driver was drunk. We will use this information to help you claim compensation.
How Much does a Birmingham DUI Accident Attorney Cost?
Victims of DUI accidents can work with our lawyers on a contingency-fee basis. This means you will not owe us anything upfront or out-of-pocket for our services.
When lawyers work on contingency, they only get paid a portion of any settlement that you win.
Each lawyer’s contingency fee contract will differ, so the percentage they take will be different as well. We will agree upon the percentage of your compensation that we will take to cover our services.
Do All DUI Accident Cases Go to Court?
Our Birmingham DUI lawyers can help you pursue compensation through an insurance claim or a personal injury lawsuit. Most often, DUI accident cases settle out of court.
We will negotiate for the payout your case warrants. If a suitable amount cannot be reached, our law firm will represent you in court.
What to Do After a DUI Accident in Birmingham
If you were injured in a DUI car crash, you should make sure you and any passengers in your car are safe. Visiting a doctor immediately after the accident can prevent your injuries from worsening. You should also:
- Call the police: When the police arrive at the scene of the crash, they will create a police report. We will use this as evidence.
- Collect evidence: If your injuries allow, collect evidence at the scene of the accident. This can include photos or videos of your car, your injuries, or any other information that would help us understand what happened.
- Gather contact information: Getting the contact information of any eyewitnesses or the other driver can help us. This will allow us to learn more information about the accident from another party’s perspective.
- Decline to speak to insurers: Shortly after the accident, an insurer might contact you for a statement. You can politely refuse to give one. Anything you say can be used by the other party’s insurance carrier. An attorney from the Morris Bart law firm can communicate with insurers for you.
- Keep track of your bills and invoices: Any bills, invoices, or receipts you have related to your accident expenses can be useful. We can use these documents to learn how much you should be able to recover in compensation.
Contact Our DUI Attorney in Birmingham, AL, if You’ve Been Injured
The Morris Bart law firm has years of experience in helping injured car accident victims get the fair compensation they deserve. If someone else caused your injuries, damages, and emotional distress, you can hold them accountable.
Our DUI lawyer in Birmingham can help you organize your case and get you back on the road to recovery. Contact us today.
to find a Morris Bart office near you.