Driving at night comes with a unique set of challenges. Drivers must be vigilant for pedestrians, bicyclists, and even animals that could pose a threat to their safety. If you were involved in an accident that happened at night, you may have legal options. A New Orleans night driving lawyer can listen to your story, determine the liability of your accident, and potentially help you seek compensation for your accident-related expenses. If you are filing a wrongful death claim on behalf of a loved one, your lawyer can examine your options as well.
At the Morris Bart law firm, we believe that your finances should not be strained because of an accident you did not cause. We can fight for justice either through a settlement with the insurance company or through a judge’s verdict. Call us for a free consultation today at (504) 613-4771.
Working with a Lawyer Can Provide Assistance
For your case to be successful, it must be founded on evidence. If it is not, you will have a challenging time assigning liability to the responsible party and pursuing the cost of your damages. While you are healing from your injuries, your lawyer can investigate the details of the collision to support your claim.
Some evidence they may be able to recover during the investigative process include:
- The police report filed at the scene of the crash
- Photos of damage to your vehicle and injuries
- Traffic surveillance footage, if available
- Eyewitness testimony
- Testimony from an accident reconstruction specialist and/or medical professional
One of your lawyer’s goals will be to demonstrate that because of the responsible party’s negligence, you have been injured in an accident that otherwise could have been avoided. Depending on how negotiations proceed with the insurance companies, you may opt to take your case to court.
Under Louisiana’s statute of limitations, you do not have a long time to file a lawsuit. Per Civil Code Art. 3492, you have one year from the date of the accident to file a civil action. If you do not, you will be barred from taking your case to court. For this reason, you may want to take legal action sooner rather than later.
For a free legal consultation with a Night Driving Accident lawyer serving New Orleans, call 800-537-8185
Injuries Sustained in a Night Driving Accident
After a collision, you can be left with injuries that prevent you from spending time with your family, returning to work, and engaging in activities that once brought you pleasure.
Some of the injuries you may have sustained in a night driving accident include:
- Broken bones. The impact of the collision could have resulted in broken or fractured bones in different parts of your body. Apart from causing severe pain, broken bones can lead to swelling and damage to your body’s protective tissues, reports the Mayo Clinic.
- Traumatic brain injury. The force of the impact could have caused your brain to shake back and forth in your skull. This can lead to concussions, internal bleeding, and nerve damage.
- Whiplash. According to Current Reviews in Musculoskeletal Medicine, whiplash is often caused by rear-end collisions. The victim can experience symptoms that include severe headaches, stiffness, and neck pain.
- Psychological trauma.You could be suffering from mental health disorders, including post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD), after the events of the collision. This can impact your mental health in ways that extend to all parts of your life.
Regardless of the type of injury you suffered in a car accident, the Morris Bart law firm wants to hear from you. A New Orleans night driving lawyer can review your medical statements and bills to determine what settlement amount covers your losses.
To get started with a free case review, call (504) 613-4771.
New Orleans Night Driving Accident Lawyer Near Me 800-537-8185
What You Can Get Compensated for in an Auto Accident
According to the American Bar Association, many personal injury claims never make it to trial. This is because usually, settlement agreements between the involved parties are made without the need to go through the court system. However, this may not be relevant to your situation. You may be struggling to reach a fair settlement with the insurance company, or the at-fault party may be uncooperative. A New Orleans night driving lawyer can hold the responsible party accountable for their actions and pursue the cost of your damages, whether it be in or out of court.
If your case is successful, you may be able to recover the cost of:
- Lost income
- Reduced earning capacity
- Property damage
- Pain and suffering
- Hospital bills
- Medical treatment
This is not an exhaustive list of the types of damages you can pursue following a car accident.
Compensation in a Wrongful Death Claim
According to Civil Code 2315.2, in Louisiana, only qualifying representatives can file a wrongful death claim. You cannot be tangentially associated with the decedent and expect to recover damages. If you are the decedent’s surviving spouse, child, parent, sibling, or grandparent, you may be able to proceed with this type of legal action. The statute of limitations for filing a wrongful death claim is one year from the date of your loved one’s passing.
If your case is successful, you may be able to recover the following expenses:
- Funeral, burial, and memorial services
- The cost of various end of life treatments, including hospice
- Loss of consortium
- Loss of parental guidance and household benefits
- Loss of inheritance
- Loss of income
Again, this is not an exhaustive list of the types of damages you can pursue in a successful wrongful death claim.
Call the Morris Bart Law Firm to Learn More
When you work with a New Orleans night driving lawyer from our team, they can:
- Investigate the details of your accident
- Collect relevant evidence to your claim
- File your case to the appropriate courts and legal offices
- Estimate the cost of your losses
- Guide you through the legal process
- Keep you updated on your options as they become available
- Take your case to court, if necessary
We want to get started fighting for justice today. Our goal is to help you recover compensation for your losses so that you can begin the process of getting your life back on track. For a free, no-obligation case review with a member of our team, call the Morris Bart law firm at (504) 613-4771.
to find a Morris Bart office near you.