Driving at night comes with a unique set of challenges. Drivers must be vigilant for pedestrians, bicyclists, and even animals that could threaten their safety. If you were involved in an accident that happened at night, you may have legal options. A New Orleans night driving lawyer can listen to your story, determine the liability of your accident, and potentially help you seek compensation for your accident-related expenses. If you are filing a wrongful death claim on behalf of a loved one, your lawyer can also examine your legal options.
At the Morris Bart law firm, we believe you should not have to strain your finances because of an accident you did not cause. We can fight for justice through a settlement with the insurance company or through a judge’s verdict.
Working With a Nigh Driving Accident Lawyer
For your case to be successful, you must have evidence. If you do not do this, you will have a challenging time assigning liability to the responsible party and pursuing the cost of your damages. While you are healing from your injuries, your New Orleans car accident lawyer can investigate the details of the collision to support your claim.
Some evidence they may be able to recover during the investigative process includes:
- The police report filed at the scene of the crash
- Photos of damage to your vehicle and injuries
- Traffic surveillance footage, if available
- Eyewitness testimony
- Testimony from an accident reconstruction specialist and/or medical professional
An important goal of your lawyer will be to demonstrate that the responsible party’s negligence caused you to be injured in an accident that otherwise could have been avoided. Depending on how negotiations proceed with the insurance companies, you may decide to take your case to court.
Under Louisiana’s statute of limitations, you do not have a long time to file a lawsuit. Per Civil Code Art. 3492, you have one year from the date of the accident to file a civil action. If you do not, you may be barred from taking your case to court. For this reason, you will likely want to take legal action sooner rather than later.
For a free legal consultation with a Night Driving Accident lawyer serving New Orleans, call 800-537-8185
Injuries Sustained in a Night Driving Accident
After a collision, you can be left with injuries that prevent you from spending time with your family, returning to work, and engaging in activities that once brought you pleasure.
Some of the injuries often sustained in a night driving accident include:
- Broken bones. The impact of the collision could have resulted in broken or fractured bones in different parts of your body. Apart from causing severe pain, broken bones can lead to swelling and damage to your body’s protective tissues, reports Mayo Clinic.
- Traumatic brain injury. The force of the impact could have caused your brain to shake back and forth in your skull. This can lead to concussions, internal bleeding, and nerve damage.
- Whiplash. According to Current Reviews in Musculoskeletal Medicine, whiplash is often caused by rear-end collisions. The victim can experience symptoms that include severe headaches, stiffness, and neck pain.
- Psychological trauma. You could be suffering from mental health disorders, including post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD), after the events of the collision. This can impact your mental health in ways that extend to all parts of your life.
Regardless of the type of injury you suffered in a car accident, the Morris Bart law firm wants to hear from you. A New Orleans night driving lawyer can review your medical statements and bills to determine what settlement amount covers your losses.
Make Sure You Seek Medical Attention
After a night driving accident, you may want to see a doctor as soon as possible. You may require emergency medical attention and only a doctor can accurately assess and treat your injuries.
Additionally, your medical documents can also help your night driving accident team to establish your damages. They can use these documents as evidence of your losses, as well as another party’s negligence. Protect your health and right to compensation by seeing a doctor.
What You Can Get Compensated for in a Night Driving Auto Accident
It is well known that many personal injury claims never make it to trial. Usually, the involved parties can solve settlement agreements without the need to go through the court system. However, this may not be the case in your situation. You may struggle to reach a fair settlement with the insurance company, or the at-fault party may be uncooperative. A New Orleans night driving lawyer can hold the responsible party accountable for their actions and pursue the cost of your damages in or out of court.
If your case is successful, you may be able to recover the cost of:
- Lost income
- Reduced earning capacity
- Property damage
- Pain and suffering
- Hospital bills
- Medical treatment
This is not an exhaustive list of the types of damages you can pursue following a car accident.
Compensation in a Wrongful Death Claim
If your loved one is killed in a night driving accident, you may also be able to seek damages. According to Civil Code 2315.2, only qualifying representatives can file a wrongful death claim in Louisiana. You cannot be tangentially associated with the decedent and expect to recover damages. If you are the decedent’s surviving spouse, child, parent, sibling, or grandparent, you may be able to proceed with this type of legal action. The statute of limitations for filing a wrongful death claim is one year from the date your loved one passed
If your case is successful, you may be able to recover the following expenses:
- Funeral, burial, and memorial services
- The cost of various end-of-life treatments, including hospice
- Loss of consortium
- Loss of parental guidance and household benefits
- Loss of inheritance
- Loss of income
Again, this is not an exhaustive list of the types of damages you can pursue in a successful wrongful death claim.
Call Morris Bart, LLC to Learn More About How a New Orleans Night Driving Lawyer Can Help
When you work with a New Orleans night driving lawyer from our team, they can:
- Investigate the details of your accident
- Collect relevant evidence to your claim
- File your case to the appropriate courts and legal offices
- Estimate the cost of your losses
- Guide you through the legal process
- Keep you updated on your options as they become available
- Take your case to court, if necessary
We want to get started fighting for justice today. Our goal is to help you recover compensation for your losses so that you can begin the process of getting your life back on track. For a free, no-obligation case review with a member of our team, call the Morris Bart law firm now to learn more.
to find a Morris Bart office near you.