If you were the victim of a car accident caused by an elderly driver in New Orleans, you might be able to pursue compensation for your damages. An attorney from the Morris Bart law firm can help you understand your options to seek a payout for your medical care, lost income, and other losses. A New Orleans elderly driver accident attorney from our team can review your case for free.
An Attorney from Morris Bart, LLC Can Build a New Orleans Car Accident Case for You
When you sign on for representation from the Morris Bart law firm, your New Orleans car accident attorney will go to work to investigate your accident and build a case on your behalf. This may include:
- Identifying the cause of your accident
- Identifying the liable party or parties
- Collecting evidence to support your case
- Documenting your accident-related expenses and losses
If the responsible party’s insurers are not willing to make a fair and reasonable settlement based on the evidence we present, we will not hesitate to file a civil lawsuit and take your case to court. Our attorneys in Orleans Parish will advocate for you throughout your case.
For a free legal consultation with a Elderly Driver Accident lawyer serving New Orleans, call 800-537-8185
Elderly Drivers and Car Accidents in New Orleans
As we age, our reaction time slows, and we may not be able to see a hazard and react as quickly as we once could. In addition, according to the American Automobile Association (AAA), the following medical conditions can affect a senior’s ability to drive safely:
- Alzheimer’s disease
- Cataracts, glaucoma, and other vision issues
- Diabetes, if uncontrolled
- Parkinson’s disease
- Sleep apnea, if not treated
- Strokes and the resulting physical and cognitive impairments
If you were injured in an accident with an elderly driver in New Orleans, a lawyer at the Morris Bart law firm may be able to help you identify medical causes that may have prompted the accident, and hold the other driver liable.
Signs a Senior May Pose a Driving Risk
According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), some signs that a senior may pose a danger behind the wheel include:
- They get lost in familiar areas
- There are new dents or scratches on their vehicle they cannot explain
- They begin receiving tickets for careless driving violations
- Their doctor or another medical care professional advised them to stop driving because of a health condition or medication
- They are easily overwhelmed by traffic, driving conditions, or weather
- Their medication makes them fatigued or otherwise affects their driving
- They received a ticket for impaired driving
- They speed or drive too slowly with no apparent explanation
- There are other reasons to question their physical or cognitive abilities
If you suffered injuries in an accident in New Orleans East, the legal team at the Morris Bart law firm would like to discuss your case with you today. We may be able to file an insurance claim and recover compensation for your medical care and other damages.
Recoverable Damages in a New Orleans Elderly Driver Accident
You may be entitled to compensation for a wide range of damages following your accident. These could include:
- Current and future medical treatment: Any medical bills you have paid because of your elderly driver accident are compensable. This includes the cost of x-rays, surgery, doctor’s appointments, travel to appointments, and prescription medications.
- Future and ongoing related care costs: You may need constant medical attention after an accident with an elderly driver. Luckily, you may not have to pay for the expensive bills associated with ongoing care. We can add the cost of your care-related bills to your demand for damages.
- Current and future lost income: When accident victims are injured, they may need to take time away from work to recover. You can receive compensation to make up for paychecks and work-related benefits you did not receive during your recovery period.
- Diminished earning capacity: If you cannot return to the same job because of your injuries, you can seek compensation for diminished earning capacity.
- Property damages: Usually, a car accident means damage to your vehicle. We can help you recover compensation for your car damages. If other personal property of yours was damaged in the wreck, you can seek compensation for that damage as well.
- Pain and suffering: The physical pain and suffering your injuries cause is compensable. We can assign a value to this damage to help you pursue compensation.
These are not the only damages you may be able to include in your case. If you are suffering from injuries after your car accident, working with a New Orleans elderly driver accident lawyer can allow you to focus on your recovery while your legal team handles your case, gathers evidence, files paperwork, and communicates with insurance companies on your behalf.
Wrongful Death in a New Orleans Car Accident Case
If a member of your immediate family passed away as a result of their car accident injuries, you may be entitled to receive wrongful death damages. The recoverable losses in a wrongful death case may include:
- Funeral and burial expenses
- Pain and suffering
- Loss of income and benefits previously provided by the deceased
We can explain the recoverable losses and examine your eligibility for a wrongful death case during your free consultation with our New Orleans car accident team. Hiring a lawyer in a wrongful death case can give your family space to grieve while your lawyer handles your casework.
Do Not Let Time Run Out on Your New Orleans Car Accident Case
Under the La. Civ. Code Art. 3492, car accident victims usually only have one year from the date of their accident and injuries to file a lawsuit against the liable parties. If you are close to the one-year limit on your accident claim and have questions on how to proceed, contact our team. Even if the one-year time frame from your accident has passed, there may still be options for you to pursue a settlement.
Sometimes there are exceptions to the statute of limitations that make your filing time frame shorter than one year. Working with our firm will allow you to keep your case on track. We can help you file your New Orleans personal injury lawsuit before time runs out.
Talk to a New Orleans Elderly Driver Accident Attorney Today
If you sustained injuries in a car accident with an elderly driver in New Orleans, you may be able to seek and secure compensation to cover your accident-related expenses and losses. Call the Morris Bart law firm today for a free consultation with one of our lawyers.
to find a Morris Bart office near you.