Drivers have a duty of care to obey traffic laws and keep other road users safe. Taking the wheel when they are overly tired or drowsy could easily cause an accident. If a fatigued driver caused your car accident in Shreveport, you may be able to recover compensation from them for your accident-related damages, such as medical bills and lost income.
If there is proof to show that a fatigued driver made a careless mistake or fell asleep behind the wheel, which led to your accident, a Shreveport driver fatigue accident attorney from the Morris Bart law firm may be able to help you. We can manage your insurance claims, settlement negotiations, and personal injury lawsuits.
Our Shreveport Driver Fatigue Accident Attorney Can Manage Your Case for You
While you recover from the driver fatigue collision, our Shreveport car accident lawyer can take on your case. We can manage every legal detail for you. You can count on our firm to:
- Gather evidence: Our accident attorney can collect evidence that supports your case. We can use photos and videos from the accident scene. Other evidence could include a police report, medical records from your doctor, and statements from anyone who witnessed the crash.
- Communicate with other parties involved in your case: You do not need to worry about communicating with the at-fault driver or their insurer. We will reach out to insurance companies, the liable party, and any witnesses for you.
- Keep you updated on the status of your case: Our Shreveport driver fatigue accident attorney will make sure you are aware of your case’s status. We will contact and notify you regarding any changes or updates to your case.
- Help you file a claim or lawsuit: After your accident, we can help you seek compensation through an insurance claim. If that does not result in a fair settlement, we can pursue a lawsuit against the at-fault driver.
- Calculate the cost of your damages: Your lawyer will listen to the details of your case to help you determine which damages you are entitled to recover.
- Work with you on a contingency-fee basis: Our firm can represent you on a contingency basis. In this arrangement, we do not accept payment for our services from you unless and until you receive a settlement check or other compensation in your case.
For a free legal consultation with a Driver Fatigue Accident lawyer serving Shreveport, call (318) 553-5470
Fatigue Can Reduce a Driver’s Ability and Judgment
When a fatigued driver gets behind the wheel, not only could they fall asleep, but being tired alone can affect their ability to drive safely. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), fatigue can:
- Cause a lack of focus and make it impossible for drivers to keep their full attention on the road.
- Slow down the time it takes for a driver to react mentally and physically to hazards. Hinder good judgment and decision-making ability.
As fatigue worsens, these effects may all worsen as well. If the driver falls asleep, this may lead to running off the road, drifting into another lane, failing to stop at an intersection, and many other dangerous driving behaviors.
While any driver can suffer from fatigue or fall asleep behind the wheel, commercial vehicle operators may be at a higher risk of fatigue due to the large amount of time they spend driving on the road. Since many of these vehicles are much larger than a typical passenger car, this creates additional concerns about severe injuries. Even though there are laws in place from the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) to limit the hours of service for truck drivers and other commercial vehicle drivers, many of these drivers still feel pressured to drive longer and further than they should.
Morris Bart, LLC Represents Shreveport Car Accident Victims
A Shreveport driver fatigue lawyer from the Morris Bart law firm may be able to accept your case. We can seek compensation on your behalf through:
- An insurance claim based on the at-fault driver’s liability coverage
- A personal injury lawsuit
We can investigate your collision and build an argument to show that the drowsy driver’s negligent actions caused your accident, injuries, and damages. We can calculate the value of your case and pursue a payout based on this value. If we cannot agree on a fair settlement with the insurer, we can take your case to trial.
Recovering Damages in a Shreveport Car Accident Case
Traffic accident victims may suffer many types of damages as a result of their collision and injuries. The nature, severity, and value of these losses can vary widely, but several types of damages are recoverable. These can include:
- Medical care, treatment, and ongoing care costs
- Lost income, lost work-related benefits, and reduced earning capacity
- Repair or replacement of the damaged vehicle and other property damages
- Out-of-pocket expenses
- Pain and suffering and other intangible losses such as loss of enjoyment of life
In some cases, accident victims do not survive their injuries. If this unfortunate outcome is what happened to your loved one, you may be eligible to file a wrongful death lawsuit. Wrongful death damages could include funeral and burial costs. A lawyer from the Morris Bart law firm can explain more about pursuing a wrongful death lawsuit.
You Must File Your Driver Fatigue Car Accident Lawsuit on Time
When considering legal action, keep in mind that, per La. Civ. Code Art. 3492, a general one-year statute of limitations pertains to personal injury lawsuits in Louisiana. If you fail to take legal action by this deadline, your case may be dismissed, and you may be unable to recover compensation. Certain exceptions could make this filing timeframe even shorter. You should not hesitate to get started on your case.
Talk to a Lawyer from Morris Bart, LLC Today
A Shreveport driver fatigue lawyer from the Morris Bart law firm may be able to help you take action to hold the drowsy motorist who caused your accident accountable. We will handle all communications, paperwork, and legal deadlines on your behalf while you focus on recovering from your injuries.
Call us today for a free consultation with our Shreveport lawyer. With 15 offices across four states, the Morris Bart law firm serves Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, and Arkansas.
Questions?Call (318) 553-5470
to find a Morris Bart office near you.