Since motorcyclists don’t have the same protection as car drivers do, crashes often end in severe injuries and casualties. With thousands of motorcycles on Louisiana roads, hundreds of accidents can occur annually. Several of these accidents may end in fatalities.
If you were injured or lost a family member in a motorcycle accident, you may be entitled to compensation. By consulting a Shreveport motorcycle accident lawyer from the Morris Bart law firm, you can get an objective case evaluation and improve your chances of recovering damages.
What Our Motorcycle Accident Lawyer Can Do for Your Case in Shreveport
If you were hurt in a motorcycle accident that another party caused, our Shreveport personal injury lawyercan help you with all the legal tasks necessary to build a case for compensation. As we build your personal injury case, we can:
- Speak with all other parties involved in your case, including insurance adjusters
- Gather evidence of your damages, such as medical bills or witness statements
- Help you prove that the liable party or parties owe you compensation
- Prepare your case for court, if necessary
- Advise you on what to do after your motorcycle accident, such as seeking medical care and avoiding insurance communications
You can spend all the time you need healing from your injuries while our personal injury lawyers manage your case. You do not need to face the legal process alone.
How Much does It Cost to Hire Our Motorcycle Accident Lawyer in Shreveport, LA?
At the Morris Bart law firm, we aim to make our legal services as affordable as possible to injured accident survivors. That’s why we work on a contingency fee basis. With this payment structure, you do not owe our team any payment until your case is won or settled.
Once we win or settle your case, we take a percentage of your compensation as payment for our services. This allows you to avoid another out-of-pocket expense.
For a free legal consultation with a Motorcycle Accident lawyer serving Shreveport, call 800-537-8185
How to Recover Damages in a Motorcycle Accident
The key to recovering fair damages after a motorcycle accident is proving the negligence of another party. If you can determine who is responsible and prove that their negligent actions caused your injuries, you may be able to recover compensation.
The steps to getting the money you deserve include:
If you aren’t severely injured in the accident, you can take photos and shoot videos of the accident scene. Take as many photos as you can. You can also ask witnesses to do it for you.
If you didn’t collect any evidence right after the accident, don’t worry. An attorney can do it afterward. However, you shouldn’t wait too long to reach out to an attorney because evidence can be lost.
Speaking to Witnesses
Witnesses can help paint the full picture of the crash and determine liability. If you didn’t get their contact details, the police probably did. During the case investigation, your attorney can obtain the police report to study witness testimonies.
Contacting an Attorney
While you can make your case without a motorcycle accident attorney, working with one may be beneficial. Consider contacting a Shreveport motorcycle accident lawyer as soon after the accident as possible. The earlier the legal professional will start working on your case, the easier it will be to build a stellar strategy.
Documenting Your Damages
Throughout the case, you have to document all the expenses you incur due to the motorcycle accident. This doesn’t just include medical or bike repair bills. You may also need to keep a journal to show how your life has changed after the accident.
Your attorney can advise you on which records to pay special attention to.
Negotiating a Settlement
Once you prove negligence and collect proper evidence, you can negotiate a settlement with the other party’s insurance company. Keep in mind that the company’s goal is to minimize the payout you receive. That’s why legal support is highly important at this stage.
Going to Court
Sometimes, motorcycle accident cases proceed to court. This can happen if the at-fault party doesn’t have insurance or the insurance company doesn’t offer a fair settlement. While you can represent yourself in court, getting legal assistance comes highly recommended.
Doing all the above while you are recovering from serious injuries can be tough. That’s why many motorcyclists choose to hire a motorcycle accident attorney. An experienced motorcycle accident lawyer in Shreveport can handle the entire case from the beginning and fight hard for the money you deserve.
How to Prove Negligence in a Motorcycle Accident Case
Proving negligence in a motorcycle injury case starts with determining liability. First, you, your attorney, and insurance companies should figure out who is responsible for the accident. In motorcycle crashes, the responsible parties usually are:
- Another driver – In many cases, car drivers don’t notice a motorcycle or can’t evaluate its speed properly. As a result, crashes occur. When the accident is the car driver’s fault, you can file a claim with their insurance company. If the driver is uninsured or underinsured, you can take the case to court.
- Pedestrians – Jaywalking pedestrians could cause the motorcyclist or another vehicle driver to swerve or brake suddenly. As a result, a crash could occur.
- Bike manufacturers – A poorly installed or faulty part could cause the motorcyclist to lose control of the bike and crash.
Once you determine whose fault the accident is, you need to demonstrate that:
- The at-fault party has a legal duty of care to you. This means that they are obligated to act reasonably to avoid hurting you. All traffic participants have a legal duty of care to each other.
- The at-fault party breached the legal duty of care. Usually, this means that the person or entity didn’t act reasonably to keep you safe.
- The at-fault party’s breach led to injuries. This means you have to prove how a mistake on the road or in the factory led to your injuries.
- Injuries resulted in damages. You must show how your injuries led to expenses and decreased your quality of life.
To prove negligence, you would need to collect as much high-quality evidence as possible, speak to eyewitnesses, hire expert witnesses, and much more. If you decide to hire a motorcycle accident attorney, they can take care of the above steps.
Damages You Can Claim in a Motorcycle Accident Case
If you can prove negligence in a motorcycle accident case, you may be entitled to three types of damages:
- Economic damages – All past and future expenses related to the accident, including medical costs and lost wages
- Non-Economic damages – All non-tangible damages related to the changes in your quality of life, including pain and suffering and mental anguish
- Wrongful death damages – All damages related to pre-death medical and funeral expenses
If your case goes to court, the judge may also assign punitive damages. This can happen if the at-fault party’s behavior was highly outrageous.
Contact an Experienced Shreveport Motorcycle Accident Attorney Today
If you’ve been hurt or lost a loved one in a motorcycle accident, you may need help recovering damages. Our motorcycle accident attorney in Shreveport can help you get the money you deserve.
A personalized approach coupled with many years of experience helped our legal team win thousands of cases. Contact us for a free consultation today.
to find a Morris Bart office near you.