A medical malpractice lawyer may be able to help you recover money damages for medical malpractice that occurred in Shreveport. These cases are complex, and you have a limited time for legal action.
You deserve a strong legal advocate on your side to hold a negligent doctor, nurse, midwife, or another provider accountable. The Morris Bart law firm won more than 6,500 cases in 2019, and we are determined to bring you the best possible outcome as well. You can learn more about our services during a free consultation.
Do You Qualify for Compensation for Medical Malpractice?
Medical malpractice is the legal term for any deviation from accepted medical practice by a provider or facility. If this happened to you or a loved one, you may be able to file a medical malpractice lawsuit to recover damages.
The Four Required Elements of Medical Malpractice
A medical malpractice attorney can help you understand if you qualify for potential compensation based upon these four elements required to prove malpractice:
- Duty of care: You have an established relationship with a medical practitioner who is obligated to uphold accepted standards of medical care.
- Breach of care: Your medical provider failed to uphold this standard of care for reasons that include negligence, omission, or recklessness.
- Causation of injury: This dereliction of duty caused you (or your loved one) to suffer bodily harm, including fatal injuries or illness.
- Damages: These injuries caused economic and emotional damages in the form of medical bills, lost pay, and emotional distress.
A lawyer uses documentation and testimony to help prove you are the victim of medical malpractice and that as a result you deserve compensation from all liable parties.
For a free legal consultation with a Medical Malpractice lawyer serving Shreveport, call (318) 553-5470
Why Medical Malpractice Deserves Legal Action
We respect our Shreveport medical community. Sometimes, people become injured, ill, and pass away despite the highest quality medical care.
However, carelessness, cut corners, and other mistakes may cause or contribute to someone’s untimely illness, injury, or death. When you pursue compensation for yourself or a loved one, you are also helping to shine a light on dangerous practices or procedures. This may prevent another person from needless suffering.
Common Types of Medical Malpractice
Doctors, nurses, midwives, and other healthcare professionals work hard to protect your health and safety. However, they can and do make mistakes. They may also cut corners and take risks because of fatigue, overwork, or an emphasis on profits rather than patient care.
Common types of medical malpractice are:
- Failing to diagnose, making the wrong diagnosis, or reaching an accurate diagnosis too late for the patient to seek treatment.
- Leaving foreign objects in the patient after surgery, operating on the wrong patient, or performing the wrong operation on a patient.
- Giving the wrong medication to a patient or giving too much/too little of the correct medication.
- Failing to protect a mother and/or her infant from preventable birth injuries.
- Failing to monitor patients before, during, and after surgery or another medical procedure.
- Failing to observe universal precautions for health and hygiene, such as preventative measures for infection.
Our legal team identifies all liable parties who may be held accountable for your financial and emotional losses.
Shreveport Medical Malpractice Lawyer Near Me (318) 553-5470
Compensation for Medical Malpractice
The pain and suffering from an act of medical malpractice may impact your entire family, your workplace, or your small business. If a medical error or negligence caused you or a loved one to become ill or injured (or if it worsened an existing medical condition), you could recover compensation.
Our medical malpractice lawyers in Shreveport can help you seek financial recovery for damages that may include:
- Medical care, treatment, and attention (both current and future)
- At-home care or skilled nursing facility care
- Prescriptions and medical devices
- Loss of income and benefits
- Pain and suffering
- Loss of consortium
If you lost a loved one due to medical malpractice, please accept our condolences. We can help you pursue wrongful death damages to ease the financial burden of losing your spouse, parent, or child.
Click to contact our Shreveport Personal Injury Lawyers today
What We Do to Help You Seek Compensation and Justice
If you have ever read a medical chart, you know that it is loaded with complex terms. That is why the Morris Bart law firm may consult with medical experts who understand the exact circumstances of your case.
We collect evidence in addition to this expert testimony to help us show negligence. This evidence might include:
- Scans, images, bloodwork, and other medical test results
- Medical records, charts, and notes
- Witness statements
We can also collect statements from you and your loved ones about the emotional pain and suffering the medical negligence caused.
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
How Long do You Have to File a Medical Malpractice Lawsuit?
Under La. R. S. §9:5628, you have about a year to file a medical malpractice lawsuit. The state recognizes this deadline from either the date of the alleged malpractice or from the date of discovery of this malpractice.
You May Not Have to Go to Court to Recover Compensation
Because a medical malpractice lawsuit carries such negative publicity, you may be able to collect damages by filing a claim against the healthcare provider’s malpractice insurance.
The Morris Bart law firm can file, manage, and negotiate with the at-fault party’s insurance company. This gives you the time you need and deserve to rest, feel better, and focus on your loved ones.
Get Help with Your Medical Malpractice Today
We provide prospective clients a free consultation so we can inform them of their legal options and next steps. Call our Shreveport office at (318) 553-5470 to speak with an attorney about your medical malpractice case review and how a lawyer may be able to help.
The legal team at Morris Bart law firm has helped thousands from your communities to recover damages from an injury or illness caused by a negligent party. We would be honored to help you.
Questions?Call (318) 553-5470
to find a Morris Bart office near you.