While many communities in Louisiana are embracing the rising popularity of low-speed electric scooters on roadways as an environmentally friendly way to relieve traffic congestion while also providing visitors and residents in the area with a low-cost transportation option, in Shreveport it is illegal to ride scooters on city streets, sidewalks, bicycle path or any other public right-of-way. This not only means you could face a traffic ticket if you are caught but can also impact your ability to obtain compensation for your injuries.
If you were injured while riding a scooter in Shreveport or were injured as a pedestrian by someone who was illegally operating a scooter on the city streets, it is important for you to contact an experienced scooter accident lawyer in Shreveport, LA to discuss your legal options. With over 100 highly skilled attorneys and 150 legal professionals, we have the experience, manpower, and reputation to assist the injured with even the most complex cases.
How a Shreveport Scooter Accident Lawyer Can Protect Your Right to Seek Compensation
To address the most important issue upfront: yes, you can still file a personal injury claim if you were injured due to someone else’s carelessness or recklessness while you were riding a scooter in a prohibited location. Yes, you can seek compensation from an at-fault scooter rider if you are injured as a pedestrian. However, both of these claims become a bit more complex due to the law prohibiting scooters.
If You Were Injured While Riding a Scooter in Shreveport
An experienced Shreveport scooter accident attorney will work to keep the focus on the actions of the at-fault party, such as distracted driving, speeding, or alcohol impairment that resulted in the accident. However, you can expect that the at-fault party’s insurance provider will likely want to keep the focus on your own liability and attempt to use it against you. Rest assured, a scooter accident attorney in Shreveport has encountered this issue numerous times throughout their career and is familiar with the options available for addressing it.
If You Were Injured As a Result of a Scooter-Rider in Shreveport
While at first blush, it would appear that this type of scenario would result in an easier type of claim due to scooters being prohibited on public right-of-ways in Shreveport, as the illegality of operating the scooter spells liability. Unfortunately, this type of claim has another issue and it is perhaps an even greater one as it involves insurance coverage.
For a free legal consultation with a Scooter Accident lawyer serving Shreveport, call (318) 553-5470
Why does Insurance Coverage Matter in a Scooter Accident Claim?
Insurance is the means by which the vast majority of personal injury settlements and awards are paid. While it is possible to file a claim against an uninsured person and even obtain a judgment in your favor, it is generally quite difficult to collect on the judgment as most uninsured individuals cannot afford to compensate for injury expenses and impacts out-of-pocket.
If you were injured in an accident with a scooter rider, even if you are able to get the rider to stop and give you their name and contact information, there likely is not an associated insurance policy that can be used to provide your compensation. However, you can trust that the experienced lawyers at Morris Bart have also dealt with this issue before and can explore several available options with you.
Shreveport Scooter Accident Lawyer Near Me (318) 553-5470
What Type of Compensation Can I Seek Through a Shreveport Scooter Accident Claim?
If you have been injured in a scooter accident in Shreveport, you can seek the recovery of both economic and non-economic damages. What this means in plain English is you can seek compensation (damages) for the expenses (economic) and impacts (non-economic) of your injury. Some of the expenses and impacts that are commonly claimed in Shreveport personal injury cases include:
- Medical expenses, such as ambulance transport, emergency services, physician and surgical services, diagnostic testing, prescription medication, hospitalization, physical therapy, and rehabilitation
- Lost wages if you are too injured to work
- Loss of future earning capacity if your injuries result in permanent disabilities and you are no longer able to earn in the same capacity as you did before your scooter accident
- Property damage you sustained in the accident
- Physical and emotional pain and suffering
Why it is Important to Contact an Attorney Right Away
After being injured in a Shreveport scooter accident, it is important to contact an experienced personal injury lawyer as soon as possible. There are two main reasons for this, which include:
- Your attorney can communicate with the at-fault party’s insurance adjuster in order to avoid having you fall victim to common insurance tactics, such as adjusters telling you that you are not eligible for compensation due to Shreveport’s prohibition of scooters.
- Personal injury claimants only have one year from the date on which their accident occurred to file a claim, meaning that if you wait to speak with an attorney until just before that time limit expires, it will be difficult to complete the tasks that need to be done in order to prove liability, expenses, and impacts.
How Much Will a Shreveport LA Scooter Accident Lawyer Cost Me?
Because having access to legal counsel is crucial in complex personal injury claims, the legal team at Morris Bart is pleased to provide our Shreveport clients with two special services aimed at ensuring that anyone who needs legal assistance has access to it, regardless of their financial status. These services include:
- A free case evaluation, which is time you can spend obtaining answers to your legal questions, discussing the details of your case, and learning more about the personal injury process
- A client-friendly contingent-fee billing method that enables you to wait to pay for our services until there is a successful outcome to your scooter accident claim
If You Were in a Scooter Accident in Shreveport, We Can Help
Being injured in an accident is a frightening experience, particularly if there are complicating factors. Let us make things easier for you. All you need to do is contact us online to request your free case evaluation.
Questions?Call (318) 553-5470
to find a Morris Bart office near you.