A Terrytown car accident attorney from the Morris Bart law firm could help you get justice and recover compensation if you suffered injuries in a Jefferson Parish crash caused by a negligent driver. We represent collision victims on the Westbank, fighting to get them the financial recovery they need and deserve.
You can speak with one of our personal injury lawyers today for free. We will assess your rights and options and explain how we can help you secure a payout.
How Accident Victims Recover Damages After a Terrytown Crash
When a motorist is careless or reckless behind the wheel, others can suffer injuries. Car accident victims often endure pain and suffering, expenses, losses, and other negative consequences from a crash they played no role in causing.
Our lawyers can file an insurance claim or lawsuit against the at-fault driver, requesting a payout that is appropriate based on your expenses and losses. The recoverable damages in these cases often include:
- Medical bills and related expenses
- Future and ongoing care and support costs
- Lost wages and other income
- Reduced ability to earn because of disability
- Property damages, including car repair and replacement
- Pain and suffering
- Emotional distress
When an accident victim passes away, their surviving family members could recover somewhat different damages under La. Civ. Code Art. 2315.2. Damages in a wrongful death case may include:
- Medical expenses
- Funeral and burial costs
- Lost income provided by your deceased loved one
- Loss of services performed by the decedent
- Loss of companionship and other noneconomic losses
In general, the surviving spouse, children, or parents might recover damages under the state’s wrongful death statute.
For a free legal consultation with a Car Accident lawyer serving Terrytown, call (504) 613-4771
Proving Negligence and Liability in a Terrytown Traffic Accident
When our attorneys represent a Terrytown crash victim, we investigate the crash and gather evidence to determine what happened and who caused it. We generally find that one of the drivers acted carelessly or recklessly, putting others in danger—otherwise known as negligence.
To prove negligence, we must show four elements existed:
- Duty: The driver has a responsibility, usually because of a traffic law, to behave in a specific way.
- Breach of duty: The driver did not follow the traffic laws as required.
- Causation: The driver’s breach of duty caused the collision or allowed it to occur. Without their action or inaction, the crash would not have happened.
- Harm: The victim suffered physical injuries, emotional distress, and financial expenses and losses.
In most instances, the negligent driver is liable (legally responsible) for the accident and injuries.
In commercial vehicle accidents, liability is somewhat more complex because of La. Civ. Code Art. 2320, which supports a legal doctrine known as respondeat superior. This statute allows victims to hold the driver’s employer vicariously liable for the accident and their injuries.
Suing the Liable Parties in a Terrytown Crash Case
While most cases settle through the insurance claims process, it might become necessary to sue in any of these situations:
- The insurer denies the claim
- They blame you for the crash
- They refuse to acknowledge some of your damages
- You’re approaching the deadline to sue
Louisiana has a short statute of limitations in personal injury and accident cases. You may only have up to one year to file your injury or wrongful death lawsuit under La. Civ. Code Art. 3492. Other deadlines may also apply, meaning we sometimes need to sue despite ongoing settlement negotiations and good progress with the insurance company. These cases generally still settle before going to trial.
Terrytown Car Accident Lawyer Near Me (504) 613-4771
Morris Bart, LLC, Serves Terrytown from Our New Orleans Location
The Morris Bart law firm has 15 locations across the Gulf South, including our New Orleans office. This location serves Terrytown, but our attorneys will come to you. You do not have to visit our office for your initial consultation or other meetings unless you choose to do so.
We have over 40 years working for car accident victims in Louisiana, and we know how the claims process works. When we represent a client, we:
- Protect their rights and manage all communications
- Investigate the crash and gather evidence to support the claim
- Determine the liable parties and document their negligence
- Calculate a fair value for the case
- Prepare and file the insurance claim
- Negotiate with the insurer
If we cannot receive a fair settlement from the insurance company, we will not hesitate to sue the at-fault party and proceed to court if necessary.
We Have a Proven Track Record of Success
In 2019, we won more than 6,500 cases, representing millions of dollars in settlements and verdicts for our clients. Examples include:
- $852,845 in a New Orleans car accident
- $650,000 in a drunk driving crash
- $550,000 for a hit and run victim
- $430,000 for a cyclist hit by a car
The Morris Bart law office is a contingency fee personal injury firm. We do not ask our clients to pay us any upfront fees. Instead, we get our attorney’s fees as a percentage of any compensation we recover. We do not get paid if you do not receive a financial recovery. We can explain this process in more detail during your free consultation.
Morris Bart, LLC Provides Free Consultations for Terrytown Accident Victims
Speak with a lawyer from the Morris Bart law firm about your case for free today. Our attorneys offer these free consultations so victims can better understand their options and rights. We will answer any questions you have and outline the next steps we recommend taking based on the facts of your case.
Call (504) 613-4771 now to talk to an attorney.
Questions?Call (504) 613-4771
to find a Morris Bart office near you.