In Terrytown and throughout Louisiana, pedestrian accidents occur in many ways. For example, a distracted driver might run into you, or a lack of pedestrian safety infrastructure leaves you vulnerable to the dangers of the road. If you’ve suffered injuries in a pedestrian accident, you might be able to recover compensation for your damages and other losses from the party responsible for your accident.
The team at the Morris Bart law firm can help you with your pursuit of compensation after your accident. A Terrytown pedestrian accident attorney from our legal team can handle all aspects of your case at every stage to protect your legal rights under Louisiana law. In addition, we can work with you to determine the best options and build a strong claim for recovery.
How Our Pedestrian Accident Lawyers May Be Able to Help
After your accident, our attorneys can handle your case for compensation while you focus on recovering from your injuries. Our legal team can help in several ways, including:
- Obtaining the facts of the accident to understand how your injuries impacted your life
- Provide information on your options for recovery and possible next steps to take
- Investigate your accident to determine all potentially liable parties that may have caused the accident and your injuries
- Gather key evidence such as witness statements, surveillance footage, or dashcam video of the accident
- Prepare all documentation and forms you need to initiate your claim for compensation
- Negotiate with the other person’s insurance company on your behalf
- Work to counter allegations of comparative fault that the other side may use to reduce your settlement value
- Ensure you meet all statutory and court-mandated deadlines that may apply in your case
- Prepare your case for trial if you cannot reach an agreeable settlement with the other party
However, one of the most important ways we can help you after your pedestrian accident is by helping you determine a fair value for your case. It is essential to calculate a settlement value that reflects the total amount of your losses—both now and into the future—to ensure you have the compensation you need to adjust to life after the accident. After a pedestrian accident in Terrytown, we can determine your case value and collect evidence to justify your claim.
For a free legal consultation with a Pedestrian Accident lawyer serving Terrytown, call (504) 613-4771
How Much Can I Get for My Pedestrian Accident Case?
In many cases, pedestrian accidents involve severe injuries due to pedestrians’ lack of protection against vehicles and other dangerous conditions that may cause injuries. As a result, you may require higher amounts of compensation.
However, the exact amount you can recover for your pedestrian accident will depend on your specific losses. All accident cases are different, and the unique circumstances of your case will affect the amount you receive. In Louisiana, you can recover for a wide range of damages after a pedestrian accident, including:
- Expenses for medical care, including surgeries and rehabilitation
- Lost income if you cannot work because of the accident
- Future lost wages to represent your diminished earning capacity
- Repair bills for any property damaged in the accident
- Physical and emotional pain and suffering
- Emotional or mental anguish
- Loss of enjoyment or companionship
- Disfigurement or physical impairment
However, it is essential to know that La. R.S. § 13:5106 caps the subjective (noneconomic) damages you can receive if your pedestrian accident case is against a government agency. The statute limits noneconomic damages in these cases to $500,000.
Terrytown Pedestrian Accident Lawyer Near Me (504) 613-4771
Who Can Be Sued After a Pedestrian Accident?
According to La. Civ. Code Art. 2315 and Art. 2316, any person who causes damage to another by their acts or negligence is liable for the damage caused. In a Terrytown pedestrian accident case, who you can sue will depend on the specific facts surrounding the cause of the accident. Some potentially liable parties in a pedestrian accident case include:
- The driver of a motor vehicle involved in the crash
- Other drivers on the road
- The government entity responsible for maintaining pedestrian safety infrastructure
- The manufacturer of the vehicle involved
It’s also important to know that according to La. Civ. Code Art. 2323, even if an insurance adjuster or jury determines that you contributed to the cause of your accident, you can still recover compensation for your injuries. However, the percentage of responsibility for the accident assigned to you is the amount to which your final settlement will be reduced to reflect your part in the accident.
A pedestrian accident lawyer in Terrytown from our law firm can help you determine who you may be able to sue.
Understanding the Time Limits to File Your Case
If you cannot settle with the person responsible for your accident or their insurance company, you may need to file your case in court. However, you have limited time to file after your Terrytown pedestrian accident. According to La. Civ. Code Art. 3492, you have one year from the accident date to file a lawsuit with the appropriate Louisiana court.
However, other exceptions or deadlines could apply to your case that could affect the filing deadline. Our pedestrian accident lawyers can work with you to understand the specific time limits in your case and work quickly to ensure you meet all deadlines.
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
Contact Morris Bart, LLC for Help with Your Case
After a pedestrian accident in Terrytown, our attorneys can help you navigate the process of recovering the compensation you need. We can work with you at every stage to ensure you meet all deadlines and request all the damages you could recover in your case.
Call the Morris Bart law firm today at (504) 613-4771 to speak to a lawyer about your pedestrian accident case.
Questions?Call (504) 613-4771
to find a Morris Bart office near you.