If you were injured in a pedestrian accident in Monroe, you may be entitled to compensation in a personal injury case. If your loved one died in a pedestrian accident, you may qualify to file a wrongful death lawsuit.
At the Morris Bart law firm, we defend victims of pedestrian accidents and their families in Monroe. To discuss your case, call us today at (318) 884-0904. The consultation is free, and our Monroe pedestrian accident lawyers represent clients on a contingency-fee-basis, meaning there are no up-front costs. We only receive a payment if you receive a settlement or judgment.
Driver Negligence in Pedestrian Accidents
Here are some common types of driver negligence that can cause serious pedestrian accidents:
- Speeding: Speeding increases a driver’s stopping distance and decreases their time to react. This can create an avoidable collision. Speeding also may increase the risk of severe injuries in the event of a collision with a pedestrian.
- Distraction: A driver who is preoccupied with food, a cell phone, the radio, conversation, smoking, or the navigation system could cause an accident with a pedestrian.
- Failure to yield: Drivers are required by law to yield the right of way to pedestrians in several situations. This includes intersections where a WALK signal or crosswalk gives the pedestrian the right of way.
- Driving under the influence: Drunk and intoxicated drivers may have slower reaction times and are more likely to engage in dangerous behavior, like speeding or red-light running. Impaired drivers can cause significant harm to pedestrians.
These are not the only driving behaviors that cause pedestrian accidents. If you were involved in a pedestrian accident, contact the Morris Bart law firm at (318) 884-0904 today. A Monroe pedestrian accident lawyer can help you prove driver negligence.
For a free legal consultation with a Pedestrian Accident lawyer serving Monroe, call 800-537-8185
Potential Injuries in Pedestrian Accidents
Seek medical treatment as soon as it is safe to do so after a pedestrian accident. A medical professional can diagnose and begin treating your injuries right away.
Some injuries that pedestrians suffer in accidents with motor vehicles include:
- Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI): A jolt or impact to the head can cause a TBI. The effects of a TBI differ based on the severity of the injury and can include headache, seizures, fatigue, confusion, sensitivity to light, and more.
- Spinal cord injury (SCI): An SCI can cause numbness or pain in the extremities, and in some cases may cause partial or complete paralysis.
- Broken bones: Broken bones may require surgery and limit the victim’s mobility during the recovery period.
If you experienced these or other injuries in a Monroe pedestrian accident, you may have extensive medical bills and need to miss time from work while you recover. In some cases, pedestrians who suffer severe injuries experience a permanent disability that prevents them from returning to work or reduces their earning capacity.
An attorney can help you identify your short- and long-term losses and fight for damages to cover the financial, physical, and emotional effects of your injuries.
Monroe Pedestrian Accident Lawyer Near Me 800-537-8185
Recovering Damages in a Pedestrian Accident Case
Although each case is different, plaintiffs in pedestrian accident cases may qualify to recover compensation for:
- Medical expenses
- Rehabilitation expenses
- Lost wages
- Reduced earning potential
- Pain and suffering
- And more
Unfortunately, some victims of pedestrian-vehicle accidents do not survive. If your family member was killed in a Monroe pedestrian accident, you may be able to pursue compensation in a wrongful death case. Your family may qualify to recover compensation for:
- Funeral expenses
- Medical expenses prior to death
- Damages from lost income
- Loss of companionship
- Pain and suffering
Evidence is important to prove the value of damages in a pedestrian accident case. A Monroe pedestrian accident lawyer can help retrieve evidence like medical records, proof of lost income, and expert witness testimony.
Representation from Morris Bart, LLC
According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), 6,283 pedestrians were killed in traffic accidents in the U.S. in 2018. Many more were injured.
The Morris Bart law firm understands the devastating effects that injuries or losing a loved one can have on your life. It can be challenging to put together a case for compensation and take legal action when you are recovering from injuries or have just lost a loved one.
To discuss your legal options, call our office now at (318) 884-0904 for a free case evaluation. The Morris Bart law firm operates on a contingency-fee-basis. This means we only get paid if you win your case. There are no up-front costs to start working with us today.
to find a Morris Bart office near you.