If you were injured in a pedestrian accident in Louisiana, you may be entitled to compensation in a personal injury case. If your loved one died in a pedestrian accident, you may qualify to file a wrongful death lawsuit. We can tell you more about your rights as a victim.
A Monroe pedestrian accident lawyer can represent you on a contingency-fee-basis, meaning there are no up-front costs. We only receive a payment if you receive a settlement or judgment. No matter what your financial situation, our attorneys are here to help.
Driver Negligence in Pedestrian Accidents
Our attorneys have handled many different types of accidents. Here are some common types of driver negligence that can cause serious injuries in pedestrians:
- Speeding: Speeding increases a driver’s stopping distance and decreases their time a driver has to react. This can create an avoidable collision. Speeding also may increase the risk of severe injuries in the event of a collision with a pedestrian.
- Distraction: The causes of distracted driving include being preoccupied with food, a cell phone, the radio, conversation, smoking, or the navigation system.
- Failure to yield: Drivers are required by law to yield the right of way to pedestrians. This includes intersections where a WALK signal or crosswalk gives the pedestrian the right of way.
- Driving under the influence: Drunk and intoxicated drivers may have slower reaction times and are more likely to engage in dangerous behavior, like speeding or red-light running. Impaired drivers can cause significant harm to pedestrians.
These are not the only driving behaviors that cause pedestrian accidents. A Monroe pedestrian accident lawyer can help you prove driver negligence and help you get compensation for your case.
For a free legal consultation with a Pedestrian Accident lawyer serving Monroe, call 800-537-8185
Common Injuries Our Lawyers See in Pedestrian Accidents
Seek medical treatment as soon as it is safe to do so after a pedestrian accident. A medical professional can diagnose and begin treating your injuries right away. Some injuries that pedestrians suffer in accidents with motor vehicles include:
- Traumatic brain injury (TBI): A jolt or impact to the head can cause a TBI. The effects of a TBI differ based on the severity of the injury and can include headache, seizures, fatigue, confusion, sensitivity to light, and more.
- Spinal cord injury (SCI): An SCI can cause numbness or pain in the extremities, and in some cases may cause partial or complete paralysis.
- Broken bones: Broken bones may require surgery and limit your mobility during the recovery period.
If you experienced these or other injuries in a Monroe pedestrian accident, you may have extensive medical bills and need to miss time from work while you recover.
What If I Become Permanently Disabled?
In some cases, pedestrians who suffer severe injuries experience a permanent disability that prevents them from returning to work or reduces their earning capacity. We can help you get compensation for any future income you have lost due to your condition.
A personal injury attorney in Monroe can help you identify your short- and long-term losses and fight for damages to cover the financial, physical, and emotional effects of your disability. This includes whether to file for disability benefits.
Recovering Damages in a Pedestrian Accident Case
How much your lawyer can get in your settlement will depend on the specifics of your claim. Although each case is different, plaintiffs in pedestrian accident cases may qualify to recover compensation for:
- Medical expenses
- Rehabilitation expenses
- Lost wages
- Reduced earning potential
- Pain and suffering
A pedestrian accident attorney can help you learn which damages your case may qualify for and give you an estimate of how much you may be able to recover.
Recovering Damages in a Pedestrian Wrongful Death Case
According to the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety, many victims of pedestrian-vehicle accidents do not survive. If your family member was killed in a Monroe pedestrian accident, you may be able to pursue compensation in a wrongful death case. Your family may qualify to recover compensation for:
- Funeral expenses
- Medical expenses prior to death
- Damages from lost income
- Loss of companionship
- Pain and suffering
Evidence is important to prove the value of damages in a pedestrian accident case. A Monroe pedestrian accident lawyer can help retrieve evidence like medical records, proof of lost income, and expert witness testimony.
Get a Free Consultation With Morris Bart, LLC
The Morris Bart law firm understands the devastating effects that injuries or losing a loved one can have on your life. It can be challenging to put together a case for compensation and take legal action when you are recovering after a wreck.
To discuss your legal options with pedestrian accident attorneys in Monroe, Louisiana,, contact us for a free case evaluation. We will work to get you the resources you need to move beyond this difficult time.
to find a Morris Bart office near you.