If your family member died from injuries sustained in a Monroe, LA, accident, or incident, the Morris Bart law office may be able to help. Your family may be able to pursue compensation through a wrongful death action.
You can discuss your options with a team member from the Morris Bart law office in Monroe for free today. We are standing by to take your case and assess your options at no cost to your family.
What Compensation Can I Recover Based on My Loved One’s Death?
A wrongful death action allows closely related family members to seek and secure compensation based on the damages they suffered due to their loved one’s death in a Monroe accident.
The damages recoverable in a wrongful death claim or lawsuit differ from case to case because they depend on the specific losses suffered. Some common examples include:
- Funeral and burial expenses
- Other financial costs incurred because of the accident or death
- Reduced household income and future economic losses
- Loss of services, such as expenses for childcare or cutting the lawn, usually managed by the deceased
- Intangible losses experienced by individual family members, such as the loss of companionship or parental advice
What Happens to My Loved One’s Personal Injury Claim After Their Death?
If your loved one passed away before they could pursue compensation via an insurance claim or civil action, you may be able to file one on their behalf instead. These are known as survival actions, and they seek compensation for the damages the accident victim could have recovered in their case.
Examples of recoverable damages in a survival action include:
- Medical bills
- Lost wages through the date of death
- Out-of-pocket expenses
- Property damages
- Pain and suffering experienced for any period they were conscious after the accident but before their death
The Morris Bart law firm manages clients’ wrongful death and survival cases and may be able to help your family with one or both of these actions. Let us review your case for free today to learn more.
For a free legal consultation with a Wrongful Deaths lawyer serving Monroe, call (318) 884-0904
Morris Bart, LLC, Attorneys Fight for the Family’s Compensation After a Wrongful Death Accident
For more than 40 years, the Morris Bart law firm has represented clients and pursued damages based on deadly accidents. If you lost a loved one in Monroe, we may be able to help. We manage our clients’ cases and file insurance claims seeking:
- Wrongful death damages under Civ. Code Art. 2315.2
- Survival actions and related damages under Civ. Code Art. 2315.1
We are a contingency fee firm.
The Morris Bart law office has 16 locations total, including our Monroe, Louisiana, office. We serve clients in all areas of Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, and Arkansas.
We won more than 6,500 cases in 2019 and have hundreds of positive reviews from clients who counted on us to get the job done. Some recent settlements and payouts for our clients include:
- $852,845 for a New Orleans car accident
- $650,000 for a Monroe drunk driving crash
- $640,000 in a Lafayette, LA, workers’ compensation case
- $580,000 for a Hattiesburg, MS, traffic collision case
- $550,000 in a Shreveport, LA, hit and run accident
- $490,000 for a Hattiesburg, MS, truck crash
- $475,000 in a New Orleans traffic crash
- $450,000 for an Alexandria, LA, car accident
- $430,000 in a New Orleans bicycle collision
- $337,500 for a truck crash in Texarkana, AR
- $300,000 in a New Orleans workers’ compensation case
To learn how the Morris Bart law firm may be able to help with your wrongful death case, reach out to our team now for a free review of your case.
Monroe Wrongful Deaths Lawyer Near Me (318) 884-0904
Who Qualifies to Pursue a Monroe Wrongful Death Claim?
In general, anyone whose deceased loved one would have a viable personal injury claim may be able to pursue a wrongful death action. The party or parties who qualify to begin this process depends on who survives the victim.
Those who have the most to lose as a result of the death are usually the party permitted to take legal action.
- If the victim was married, their surviving spouse could file a claim.
- Their children can also seek compensation, regardless of age.
- If there is no spouse or children, the victim’s parents should pursue damages.
- If they do not have a spouse, children, or surviving parents, the victim’s sibling, and then grandparents may be able to take action.
We Can Confirm If You Are Eligible to Pursue Wrongful Death Damages
The Morris Bart law office team can review your case and determine if you may qualify to file a wrongful death action. If not, we can help you identify qualifying family members.
Any type of negligence accident should support a wrongful death case. Some examples include:
- Traffic accidents
- Falls and similar incidents
- Drownings and pool accidents
- Boating collisions
Deadlines Apply to Monroe Wrongful Death and Survival Action Lawsuits
In general, you have only up to one year from the date of your loved one’s death to begin your wrongful death lawsuit, if this is necessary in your case. La. Civ. Code Art. 2315.2 sets this time limit. The time expires on filing most survival actions after one year, as well, according to La. Civ. Code Art. 2315.1.
Exceptions could alter either of these timelines, however. It is important to understand the deadlines in your case and how the circumstances that led to your loved one’s injuries and death could alter them.
You can find out how quickly you need to act during your free case evaluation with the Morris Bart law office team. We protect our clients’ rights by ensuring we meet all applicable deadlines when it is possible to do so.
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
Speak with a Team Member from Our Monroe Location About Your Case Today
The Morris Bart law firm provides complimentary consultations for families who lost a loved one in an accident. We may be able to help you with your claim. We can assess your legal options and determine your next steps for you for free today.
Call us at (318) 884-0904 to speak with an attorney now.
Questions?Call (318) 884-0904
to find a Morris Bart office near you.