When your head suffers serious trauma in an accident, including a car accident, slip and fall, or construction site accident, and you suffer a traumatic brain injury as a result, it can impact your entire life. Traumatic brain injuries can impact your ability to concentrate, your short-term memory, and your emotional control as well as cause issues with long-term memory that can prove difficult to manage. If you suffered a traumatic brain injury due to someone else’s negligence, an experienced attorney can help you pursue the compensation you deserve.
Who Bears Liability for a Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)?
Sometimes, you can clearly see that someone else’s negligence led to a traumatic brain injury. In general, you have the right to file a personal injury claim against someone else who may have caused your traumatic brain injury in Monroe, LA if:
- You can show that the party that caused your accident had a duty of care to you at the time of the accident. If you suffered your traumatic brain injury due to a fall in a grocery store, for example, you might establish that the grocery store owed you a duty of care as a patron, to ensure that you did not suffer undue injury.
- The party that caused your accident violated that duty of care in some way. In the grocery store example above, for example, you might show that the grocery store staff knew about a spill on the floor, but took no steps to clean it up or post signs that could have helped you avoid walking straight into the spill.
- You suffered your traumatic brain injury as a result of the negligence of the party that caused your accident. If, for example, you went around the spill, bent over, and hit your head on a shelf, then the grocery store did not cause your accident, despite the presence of the spill.
- You have direct damages resulting from the incident, including traumatic brain injury and the associated medical bills and difficulties.
If you suffered a traumatic brain injury due to someone else’s negligence, talk to an attorney as soon as you can about your right to compensation and who may bear liability for those injuries. In some cases, an attorney can identify more than one party that may share liability.
For a free legal consultation with a Traumatic Brain Injury lawyer serving Monroe, call (318) 884-0904
What Should You Do after an Accident in Monroe, LA that Results in a TBI?
It can prove extremely difficult to remember what you need to do immediately after an accident, especially if you have suffered a traumatic brain injury and the associated confusion. However, the steps you take after your accident can go a long way toward protecting you, both medically and financially. Make sure that you:
- Report the accident. If you suffered your traumatic brain injury in a car accident, you may need to report the accident to the police (or, if the police do not show up, take steps to protect yourself and ensure that you have a record of the accident). If you suffered a traumatic brain injury in a store or business, you may need to report it to management so they can file an incident report.
- Seek medical attention. If you suffered trauma to the head during the accident, lose consciousness at any time, or see immediate signs of a traumatic brain injury, like nausea, vomiting, confusion, or disorientation, make sure you have a medical professional evaluate you as soon as possible. Even a minor traumatic brain injury can have serious, often long-term consequences, and an evaluation from a medical professional can serve as your best avenue of protection.
- Contact a Monroe, LA traumatic brain injury attorney as soon as possible. A lawyer can help you understand how much compensation you may deserve and protect your right to compensation following a traumatic brain injury.
How Much Compensation Can You Recover After a Monroe, LA TBI?
Dealing with the aftermath of a serious injury, including traumatic brain injury, can prove very expensive. A personal injury claim can help you recover some compensation for the financial and non-financial losses related to the accident. Talk to a Monroe, LA traumatic brain injury lawyer to learn more about how to calculate the compensation you may deserve.
Keep in mind that an attorney cannot guarantee the compensation you will recover for your injuries, but can provide you with a better look at the compensation you should expect. In general, however, traumatic brain injury claims include compensation for:
- Any medical bills you faced due to your traumatic brain injury, including elements like emergency care, in-home care, and occupational therapy to help you cope with the limitations of severe traumatic brain injury.
- Wages lost because of your traumatic brain injury, which can prevent many victims from working.
- Pain and suffering, including mental and emotional anguish, you faced as a result of your accident and your injuries.
A Personal Injury Attorney in Monroe, LA Can Help with a TBI Claim
After a traumatic brain injury, you may have a lot of questions about what comes next, including the financial impact your injuries may have on your life. A Monroe, LA traumatic brain injury can help.
At Morris Bart, LLC, we aim to help our clients understand and maximize the compensation they may deserve for serious injuries, including traumatic brain injury. We also help collect evidence, build a case for our clients, and support our clients as they present their claims, whether they can negotiate with the insurance company directly or need to take their claims to court. Contact us today to schedule your free consultation.
Questions?Call (318) 884-0904
to find a Morris Bart office near you.