If you suffered injuries due to a truck accident in Louisiana, you have a legal right to compensation for your losses. You could be eligible for compensation for your injuries, pain and suffering, and even time missed at work.
A Monroe truck accident lawyer can help you formulate and execute a plan to hold the responsible party accountable for their actions. We represent clients on a contingency-fee basis, meaning there are no out-of-pocket costs. We only take payment if you receive a settlement or court award.
Truck Accidents Caused by Careless Drivers
Every driver on Monroe’s roadways has a responsibility not to put other road users at an unreasonable risk of suffering harm, including professionals who are operating a work vehicle. This is referred to as a standard of care.
If a driver is negligent of this standard, they could be held liable for damages you sustain in a resulting accident. The truck driver in your accident may have neglected their standard of care as a motorist if they were:
- Running a red light, running a stop sign, or not properly reacting to a yield sign
- Under the influence of drugs or alcohol at the time of the accident
- Using improper maneuvers, such as changing lanes abruptly or crossing multiple lanes
- Distracted by their phone, eating or drinking, the vehicle’s entertainment system
- Driving at nighttime or dusk without their headlights
- Not maintaining essential safety aspects of their vehicle
If you suspect another driver acted with negligence in your accident, a truck accident attorney in Monroe can help. Our team will listen to your case and answer your questions about holding the party that caused your injuries accountable.
For a free legal consultation with a Truck Accident lawyer serving Monroe, call 800-537-8185
Other Liable Parties in Your Truck Accident Case
There may be other liable parties in your truck accident case besides the truck driver. If the truck driver is an employee or contractor for a larger company, that company may have liability in your accident if they:
- Failed to properly screen, train, and license the driver
- Failed to conduct regular tests for drug and alcohol use by drivers
- Failed to maintain a fleet of trucks that was safe and road-ready
- Pressured drivers to work in an unsafe manner, or without enough sleep between shifts
If a mechanical failure caused the truck accident, a truck mechanic or truck component manufacturer could be liable for your losses as well. A truck accident lawyer in Monroe can discuss the possible liable parties in your case.
Monroe Truck Accident Lawyer Near Me 800-537-8185
Possible Compensation from Your Case
Depending on the specifics of your case, you may be eligible for financial recovery. You could have compensation awarded to you could cover:
- Emergency care
- Hospital stays
- Lost wages
- Diminished earning power
- Pain and suffering
Unfortunately, truck accidents may result in fatal injuries. If you are bringing a wrongful death case on behalf of a family member who passed away in a Monroe truck accident, awards may include coverage for:
- Funeral expenses
- The loss of the deceased’s income
- Loss of consortium
- Pain and suffering
How Much Is My Truck Accident Case Worth?
Truck accident cases are typically worth more than car accident cases. Large commercial trucks cause greater property damage and more severe bodily harm to accident victims than smaller vehicles. Commercial truck companies can also afford to pay more in damages.
Your claim’s value will depend on the damages you suffered and what expenses qualify for recovery. A Monroe truck accident attorney can discuss the awards possible in your case.
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
How Comparative Fault May Affect Your Truck Accident Case
Louisiana is a comparative fault state. Under Louisiana Civil Code section 2323, your damages or court award may be reduced by your percentage of fault for causing the crash. This means that if you are found to be 25% responsible for causing the accident, you will only receive 75% of your settlement minus any additional legal fees or expenses.
Your Monroe truck accident attorney can enforce your right to collect compensation and protect you from taking excess blame.
A Monroe Truck Accident Lawyer’s Value to Your Case
Enlisting the help of a lawyer will benefit your case. When you work with Monroe truck accident lawyers, we will defend your rights with actions that can include:
- Getting a record of the accident from your perspective, informing you on possible outcomes in your case, answering questions, and updating you along the way
- Filing court documents and managing your case deadlines
- Obtaining witness testimony and re-interviewing eyewitnesses as needed
- Gathering evidence, such as videos of the accident, photographs, and police reports
- Obtaining documentation to demonstrate the defendant’s liability and the full extent of your losses
- Handling communication and negotiations with the defendant’s insurance company
Our Monroe truck accident attorneys are committed to defending your rights throughout this process. If the insurance companies are not willing to make you a fair settlement offer based on the evidence we produce, we will not back down from taking them to court.
How Long do I Have to File a Truck Accident Lawsuit?
Even though a truck accident may leave you with lifelong injuries, you must not delay the start of your lawsuit. According to Louisiana’s liberative prescription, there is generally a one-year statute of limitations on personal injury and wrongful death cases.
This means that if you wait more than one year from the date of your accident to take legal action, your case may no longer be eligible. There may be exceptions to this one-year time limit in certain cases. A Monroe truck accident lawyer can advise you on the timing of your case.
Call Our Team at Morris Bart, LLC Today
If your life has been shattered after a truck accident, call us to begin picking up the pieces. Morris Bart, LLC wants to ensure that you get the justice you deserve. Our firm offers free consultations and we operate on a contingency-fee-basis.
Our law firm is dedicated to seeing that justice is served on behalf of the innocent victims of negligence. We will fight to protect your rights and get you a settlement.
to find a Morris Bart office near you.