Car accidents are jarring and can cause property damage and injuries to everyone involved. Our Monroe car accident attorneys understand your predicament and want to help. You may be able to recover financial compensation for your injuries.
We help car accident victims get back on their feet after someone else’s negligence causes a car crash. Our team is standing by 24/7 to schedule your free consultation. Let us help you get back on track after you or a loved one is injured.
Possible Compensation After a Car Accident
A car accident lawyer in Monroe can help you recover your losses after someone else’s negligence injures you. Some possible forms of compensation may include coverage for:
- Medical bills resulting from your accident
- Wages you have lost or a diminished earning capacity
- Pain and suffering
- Punitive damages
Many of the expenses caused by your car accident can be recovered. Your Monroe car accident attorney can calculate the value of your case.
For a free legal consultation with a Car Accident lawyer serving Monroe, call 800-537-8185
Death Caused by Louisiana Car Accidents
In 2018, the Insurance Information Institute (III) showed that 768 people died in car accidents in Louisiana. The cost of deaths from motor vehicle crashes in Louisiana is $1.01 billion dollars, resulting in nearly 750 deaths in a single year, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).
If your loved one was a victim of a fatal car accident, your family could be compensated. Compensation in a wrongful death suit may cover:
- The loss of financial protection for you and your family
- The loss of companionship (spouse of the deceased)
- Loss of guidance and comfort (children of the deceased)
- Funeral costs
You could be entitled to additional coverage depending on the specifics of your claim. Our Monroe car accident lawyers can help you understand your options if you lost a loved one in a car accident.
Monroe Car Accident Lawyer Near Me 800-537-8185
What Is a Reasonable Settlement for a Car Accident?
Car accident settlements usually fall within a range of $14,000 and $28,000. However, that range may not offer your case a reasonable settlement. Severe injuries could cost you more to treat.
For example, one of our clients required lower back surgery after a car crash. We recovered a settlement of $450,000 for that case. A car accident attorney in Monroe will help you estimate the settlement your case deserves to ensure you have the best results.
Negligence May Be the Cause of Your Injuries
Most collisions are caused by negligence. Driver carelessness can change someone’s life in an instant. Your lawyer can investigate the cause of your accident to pinpoint the liable party.
Distracted driving is one of the top 15 causes of car accidents. Research from the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety notes that legal bans on texting and driving do not affect driving habits. Despite these behaviors being illegal and extremely dangerous, drivers continue to:
- Text and drive
- Talk on the phone while driving
- Post on social media
- Engaging with navigation apps
- Surf the internet
- Adjust the car’s entertainment system
- Become distracted by passengers or pets
These are just a few common examples of distracted driving, all of which are illegal and put other drivers, passengers, and pedestrians at risk for serious injury or death.
In addition to distracted driving, you may have been the victim of other dangerous driving behaviors such as:
- Driving while drunk or under the influence of one or more drugs
- Failing to yield to oncoming traffic
- Running a red light
- Changing lanes abruptly or without signaling
If the negligent driver who caused your accident behaved in a way that you believe was unsafe, they may be responsible for your losses. A Monroe car accident lawyer can explain the next steps in pursuing any compensation that you are entitled to receive.
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
How a Monroe Car Accident Lawyer Can Help Your Case
If you are recovering from injuries sustained in an accident or grieving the loss of a loved one, a Monroe car accident attorney can be an immense help in pursuing compensation. They can assist you by:
- Starting your case in the courts as soon as possible
- Speaking with you to establish an official record of your accident and injuries
- Collecting evidence of your accident and injuries, including photographs, video of the accident, eyewitness testimony, or police reports
- Speaking with your doctor and collecting medical records to use at trial, in settlement negotiations, or when calculating and lobbying for damages
- Re-interviewing witnesses to the accident if necessary to ask whether they saw the defendant engage in dangerous behavior
- Completing all necessary steps to resolve your case, whether it merits a judgment or settlement
- Defending your rights throughout the entire legal process
A Monroe car accident lawyer with our law firm will handle the legal responsibilities of your case from start to finish. We can stay on top of your case while you focus on recovering from your injuries.
How Your Monroe Car Accident Lawyer Will Establish Fault
Your lawyer’s primary goal will be to prove that the defendant or defendants in your case caused or contributed to your injuries through negligent actions. We will aim to prove this through a process that includes:
- Establishing the duty of care you were owed
- Proving that the defendant breached their duty of care
- Establishing a link between the breach of duty of care and your injuries
- Calculating and requesting damages from the court
Motorists have a responsibility not to put other motorists, passengers, and pedestrians at an unreasonable risk of harm. This is referred to legally as the duty of care. A defendant who is negligent likely breached their duty of care.
If your Monroe car accident attorney is able to create a link between the breach of duty of care and your injuries, the court may determine that you are entitled to compensation to cover your losses.
When Should You Get a Lawyer for a Car Accident?
Any time you are injured in a car accident, you should consider getting a lawyer. If you were injured in a wreck, hiring a lawyer allows you to rest and recuperate without neglecting your case. Other times you should consider calling a lawyer include when:
- There is extensive property damage
- Someone is killed in the car accident
- The accident report contains errors
- Your fault is in question
- You receive a low settlement offer
If any of these situations apply to your case, you will benefit from hiring a car accident lawyer. Our team can work to protect your rights and ensure you are treated fairly.
How Long do You Have to File a Car Accident Claim in Monroe?
In Louisiana, statutes of limitation may impact your ability to have your case heard. For both wrongful death and personal injury claims, you generally have only one year from the date of the injury or death to bring forth your case under Louisiana State Legislature, CC 3492.
There are exceptions to these statutes, so call us regardless of when you or your loved one’s accident occurred. If you were involved in a car accident and wait too long to pursue compensation, then the cost of medical care and other expenses stemming from your accident could fall solely on you.
Reach Out to a Monroe Car Accident Lawyer Today
We pride ourselves on fighting for those who cannot fight for themselves. We will help you pursue the compensation that you deserve. Call the Morris Bart law firm 24/7 for a free case review.
We believe you should be able to seek justice regardless of your financial situation. We understand that you may be out of work and struggling to make ends meet. That’s why our clients pay nothing upfront. We only get paid when we secure a judgment or settlement for you.
to find a Morris Bart office near you.