The cost of deaths from motor vehicle crashes in Louisiana is $1.01 billion dollars, resulting in nearly 750 deaths in a single year, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). If you were involved in a car accident and choose not to pursue compensation that you are entitled to receive, then the cost of medical care and other expenses stemming from your accident could fall solely on you and your family. Call our team at the Morris Bart law firm today at (318) 884-0904 for a free consultation where we will explain how a Monroe car accident lawyer can assist you.
Negligence May Be the Cause of Your Injuries
Distracted driving is one of the top 15 causes of car accidents. Research bulletin 27.11 from the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety notes that legal bans on texting and driving do not affect driving habits of drivers in Louisiana and other states.
Despite these behaviors being illegal and extremely dangerous, drivers continue to:
- Text and drive
- Talk on the phone while driving
- Engage in other phone-related activities, such as posting on social media, engaging with navigation apps, and surfing the internet
- Take their eyes off the road and hands off the wheel to adjust the car’s entertainment system
- Avert their attention from driving in order to address passengers or pets in the car
These are just a few common examples of distracted driving, all of which are illegal and put other drivers, passengers, and pedestrians at risk for serious injury or death.
In addition to distracted driving, you may have been the victim of other dangerous driving behaviors such as:
- Driving while drunk or under the influence of one or more drugs
- Failing to yield to oncoming traffic
- Running a red light
- Changing lanes abruptly or without signaling
If the negligent driver who caused your accident or killed your loved one behaved as described above or in any other way that you believe was unsafe, then they may be responsible for your losses. Call a Monroe car accident lawyer today to discuss the next steps in pursuing any compensation that you are entitled to receive.
For a free legal consultation with a Car Accident lawyer serving Monroe, call 800-537-8185
The Role of a Monroe Car Accident Lawyer in Pursuing Damages
If you are recovering from injuries sustained in an accident or grieving the loss of a loved one, a Monroe car accident attorney can be an immense help in pursuing compensation. They can assist you by:
- Starting your case in the courts as soon as possible
- Speaking with you in person or over the phone to establish an official record of your accident and injuries
- Collecting the available evidence of your accident and injuries, including photographs, video of the accident, eyewitness testimony, police reports, and any other relevant evidence
- Speaking with your doctor and collecting any medical records that could be of use at trial, in settlement negotiations, or when calculating and lobbying for damages
- Re-interviewing witnesses to the accident if necessary, asking specifically whether they saw the defendant in your case engage in dangerous behavior
- Completing all necessary steps to complete your case, whether the resolution is a judgment or settlement
- Defending your rights throughout the entire legal process
A Monroe car accident lawyer with the Morris Bart law firm will handle the legal responsibilities of your case from start to finish.
Call a Monroe Car Accident Lawyer Right Away
In Louisiana, statutes of limitation may impact your ability to have your case heard. For both wrongful death and personal injury claims, you generally have only one year from the date of the injury or death to bring forth your case under Louisiana State Legislature, CC 3492.
There are exceptions to these statutes, so call our team at the Morris Bart law firm today at (318) 884-0904 for a free consultation regardless of when you or your loved one’s accident occurred.
Monroe Car Accident Lawyer Near Me 800-537-8185
How Your Lawyer Will Aim to Establish Fault
Your lawyer’s primary goal will be to prove that the defendant or defendants in your case caused or contributed to your injuries through negligent actions. They will aim to prove this through a process that includes:
- Establishing the duty of care of the defendant
Motorists have a responsibility not to put other motorists, passengers, and pedestrians at an unreasonable risk of harm, referred to legally as the duty of care.
- Proving that the defendant breached their duty of care
A defendant who is negligent likely breached their duty of care. They may do this through speeding, engaging in distracted driving, or through any number of other dangerous driving behaviors.
- Establishing a link between the breach of duty of care and your injuries (or your loved one’s death)
This stage is commonly referred to as causation and may be proven by showing that the defendant caused the accident, and your injuries or loved one’s death resulted from that accident.
- Calculating and requesting damages from the court
If your Monroe car accident attorney is able to complete steps one through three, then the court may determine that you are entitled to compensation from the defendant covering your losses.
Possible Compensation for Your Losses
Every case is a bit different, and there is never a guarantee of compensation. Some possible forms of compensation may include coverage for:
- Medical bills resulting from your accident
- Wages you have lost or a diminished earning capacity that resulted from injuries you suffered in your accident
- Pain and suffering from the accident and resulting injuries
- Punitive damages
- And possibly more
In 2018, the Insurance Information Institute (III) showed that 768 people died in car accidents in Louisiana.
If your loved one was a victim of a fatal car accident, you could receive compensation. Compensation in a wrongful death suit may cover:
- The loss of financial protection for you and your family caused by your loved one’s death
- The loss of companionship (spouse of the deceased)
- Loss of guidance and comfort (children of the deceased)
- Funeral costs
You could be entitled to additional coverage depending on the specifics of your claim.
Call Our Team at Morris Bart, LLC Today
We pride ourselves on fighting for those who cannot fight for themselves, and we will help you pursue the compensation that you deserve. Call our team today at the Morris Bart law firm at (318) 884-0904 for a free consultation regarding your case.
Our clients pay nothing up front. We only get paid when we secure a judgment or settlement for you.
to find a Morris Bart office near you.