The dangerous nature of some Westbank roadways can leave bicyclists at risk of harm. Additionally, bicycle accidents often leave bicyclists with severe injuries and in need of expensive, ongoing medical care. If you have injuries due to a bicycle accident, you may be able to seek compensation from the at-fault driver.
At the Morris Bart law firm, we can work with you to recover the compensation you deserve after an accident. When you work with a Terrytown bicycle accident attorney from our firm, you can focus on your recovery while we handle your case for you. Our legal team will protect your rights and represent your interests during your case.
Our Bicycle Accident Lawyers Can Help with Your Case
At the Morris Bart law office, our accident attorneys can work with you to build a compelling claim for compensation at every stage of your case. Some of the ways we may be able to help after a bike accident in Terrytown include:
- Taking the time to explain your legal options for recovery
- Understanding the impacts of your injuries on your life to determine the correct legal strategy
- Compiling all documents and evidence you need by the deadlines that apply to your case
- Calculating a settlement that includes all your present and future losses
- Negotiating with the other party to recover your requested settlement amount
- Keeping you informed about the status and progress of your case
How Much does It Cost to Hire a Lawyer?
In most injury cases, including bicycle accident cases, our lawyers work on a contingency basis, meaning you do not have to pay any upfront fees. Instead, you pay a portion of your settlement for legal services – if you don’t recover an award, you owe no attorney’s fees. In most cases, you pay us a percentage of your settlement; however, you might also incur additional costs for court or filing fees.
We also offer a free consultation with our bicycle accident lawyers to discuss your case.
For a free legal consultation with a Bicycle Accident lawyer serving Terrytown, call (504) 613-4771
Types of Damages You Can Recover in Your Bicycle Accident Case
Louisiana law provides a wide range of damages that you may claim after being hurt in a Terrytown bicycle accident. There are two main categories of damages available to injury victims. First, economic damages aim to compensate you for any calculable losses from the accident. These damages include:
- All medical expenses, including surgeries, medication, and mobility devices
- Lost income due to being unable to work after the accident
- Diminished earning capacity if your injuries leave you unable to remain in your current job
- Property damage, including the cost of repairing your bicycle
- Assistive services if you require daily help due to your injuries
Additionally, you may qualify to request noneconomic damages for any of the intangible losses you have, such as:
- Pain and suffering
- Emotional distress
- Scarring or impairments
- Mental issues such as post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
However, if your case is against a government agency, there are limits to noneconomic damages. For example, in cases where a poorly maintained roadway led to your injuries, La. R.S. § 13:5106 caps the amount you can receive for noneconomic damages at $500,000.
How Much Is My Bicycle Accident Case Worth?
The exact amount you could recover for your bicycle accident case in Terrytown depends on factors unique to your accident. Your settlement amount provides compensation for the actual losses you have due to the accident. Some of the factors that impact the value of your claim include:
- The severity and duration of your specific injuries
- Your long-term prognosis
- Your ability to return to work
- How your injuries affect your life
- Assigning liability for the crash
This final factor could reduce your compensation by the percentage of fault assigned to you per La. Civ. Code Art. 2323. For example, if you didn’t wear reflective clothing that makes you more visible, a jury could find you 30 percent at fault for the crash, meaning you will receive only 70 percent of your awarded damages.
Our bicycle accident lawyers in Terrytown can work with you to determine the specific aspects of your case that may affect your overall settlement amount. We can also work with you to counter possible claims of responsibility on your part designed to reduce the amount of your compensation.
Possible Liable Parties after a Bicycle Accident
Depending on the facts of your case, you could hold several parties liable for your injuries after a bike accident. Our bicycle accident attorneys can investigate your collision to determine all potentially responsible parties. For example, in a bicycle accident case in Terrytown, the following parties could be liable:
- The driver of the vehicle involved in the crash
- Other negligent drivers on the road
- The manufacturer of your bicycle or parts on your bike
- A government entity responsible for maintaining safe roadways
- The employer of the driver if the accident is with a company vehicle
The Time You Have to File Your Case After a Bicycle Accident in Terrytown
It’s essential to remain aware of the applicable time limits in a bicycle accident case. If you cannot settle with the other party in your case, you might need to file a lawsuit and take your case to court. According to La. Civ. Code Art. 3492, you only have one year from the date you sustained your injuries in the bicycle accident to file your case with the correct Louisiana court.
Additionally, further time limits may apply to your case that could shorten the deadline. A bicycle accident lawyer from our legal team can explain the possible time limits that apply for you to seek compensation for your injuries.
Contact Morris Bart, LLC, for More Information Today
If you need help pursuing compensation after a bicycle accident in Terrytown, our legal team is here to help. At the Morris Bart law office, we can help you determine an adequate case value and identify all possible parties you could hold liable for your injuries.
Questions?Call (504) 613-4771
to find a Morris Bart office near you.