If a driver ignored a traffic signal, causing your accident, you may be able to hold them responsible for your damages. A lawyer with the Morris Bart law firm who is familiar with cases involving drivers who fail to obey traffic signals in Montgomery may be able to help you.
You can learn about your legal options for seeking financial recovery during your free consultation with a Morris Bart attorney.
Alabama Personal Injury Law Allows You to Build a Claim Based on Failure to Obey Traffic Signals
When a driver fails to obey a traffic signal, they violate the law outlined in Al Code §32-5A-31. Under this statute, there are very few exceptions when a driver can legally ignore a traffic control device, including a traffic light or similar signal.
In many cases, the driver of the vehicle who caused the collision did not meet one of these exceptions. The exceptions include:
- If the driver is behind the wheel of an emergency vehicle and traveling to an emergency
- If a police officer directs them to disregard the traffic signal
While we are concerned with the civil consequences the driver will face, proving they violated a traffic law is crucial in establishing negligence. This is required to hold them liable for your accident and injuries. If you can provide evidence that the driver failed to obey a traffic signal, you will only need additional proof to show:
- Their violation caused the collision
- You suffered harm, including injuries and financial losses.
At the Morris Bart law office in Montgomery, our attorneys may be able to help you with your case. We will review your options with you during your free consultation.
When Should You Take Action to Hold the At-Fault Driver Responsible?
Per Ala. Code §6-2-38, you generally have two years from your accident to sue the driver whose careless actions caused your collision injuries. However, there are exceptions to this rule that can dramatically alter the applicable timeline.
An attorney will determine if suing the motorist is necessary or the best option based on your case. This process can take time, as it includes investigating what happened, seeking an insurance settlement, and preparing documents for court.
Because of these factors, you should consider acting as soon as you recognize you suffered injuries due to another driver’s negligence behind the wheel. Our attorneys will review your case for free, even if you are not sure who is liable for the accident.
Your Best Shot at Securing a Financial Recovery Following a Montgomery Collision
A Morris Bart Montgomery lawyer could seek and possibly secure financial compensation on your behalf after a collision caused by a driver’s failure to obey a traffic signal. This may be possible in two ways:
- Filing an insurance claim with the at-fault driver’s insurer and negotiating an agreeable settlement
- Suing the liable driver who caused your accident, taking the case to trial, and receiving a favorable verdict and court award
Gathering Strong Evidence
When we pursue compensation for you, we gather evidence to show your losses and the approximate value of your case. This allows us to understand what the case might be worth and ensure that we do not settle for less than what you will need to cover your current and future needs.
This step is key in determining the value of your case. Even accidents that occur under very similar conditions will have dramatically different injuries. Other contributing factors may significantly change the just settlement value as well. Because of this, there is not an average settlement for a particular type of accident or a specific injury.
The recoverable damages in a failure to obey traffic signals case, such as when a driver runs a red light, could include:
- All related medical treatment costs, current and future
- Care and support expenses, including ongoing costs
- Lost income and diminished earning ability
- Property damages, especially vehicle repair or replacement
- Pain and suffering losses
Our attorneys may be able to seek additional damages on your behalf if your loved one died from their injuries.
Morris Bart & Associates, LLC, Won 6,500 Cases for Our Clients in 2019
At the Morris Bart law office, we are a contingency fee firm. We represent accident victims in four states from 16 locations. We may be able to help you with your Montgomery traffic accident case as well.
Some of our firm’s recent results across our four-state service area include:
- A client in New Orleans received $852,845 for chronic pain and facial fractures.
- A Hattiesburg crash led to a $580,000 recovery after a neck injury and surgery.
- A collision in New Orleans resulted in $475,000 for neck, back, and shoulder injuries.
- A client in Alexandria, Louisiana, received $450,000 after an accident caused a lower back injury that required surgery.
Let the Morris Bart law office in Montgomery review your case today to determine if we may be able to help.
Contact Our Attorneys to Learn More About Your Legal Options for Free
A lawyer from the Morris Bart law firm could help you prove the at-fault driver is responsible for your Montgomery accident because of their failure to obey a traffic signal. We offer complimentary consultations and can help you better understand the merits of your case. Call our office in Montgomery today to get started at (334) 523-0664.
Questions?Call (334) 523-0664
to find a Morris Bart office near you.