According to the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), 29 people die every day in accidents involving drivers who have been drinking. Statistically, that comes to one death every 50 minutes. Alcohol-related crashes also result in billions of dollars in damages annually.
What these statistics do not include are the many other injuries that occur because of alcohol-related accidents, or the lives forever altered because someone drove intoxicated.
If you or someone you love is hurt or killed because of an intoxicated driver, you have the right to hold them responsible for their behavior. Our team at the Morris Bart law firm is here to help.
We can gather evidence and work to build a strong case pursuing compensation to the fullest extent of your injuries. Our team works on a contingency fee basis, which means that you never have to pay out-of-pocket for us to work on your case. We receive our payment only if we are successful with your case, which means you get access to all our resources at no upfront cost to you.
For a free, no-risk review of your case by a Gulfport driving while intoxicated lawyer, contact the Morris Bart law firm today at (228) 357-9621.
Data and Statistics About Driving While Intoxicated
According to the CDC, 10,497 people died in 2016 because of alcohol-impaired drivers—a number that equates to 20 jumbo jet crashes. In that same year, the Mississippi Department of Transportation reported that drunk driving fatalities accounted for 18% of all deaths in car accidents.
It does not take a substantial amount of alcohol to impair someone’s driving. The CDC reports that even with a blood-alcohol concentration (BAC) of 0.05%—less than the legal limit—drivers experience reduced coordination and have greater difficulty steering a vehicle. At 0.08%, the legal limit, they have impaired perception and difficulty concentrating. When they reach a BAC of 0.10%, they have greater trouble keeping their car in their lane and braking properly.
For a free legal consultation with a Intoxicated While Driving Accident lawyer serving Gulfport, call 800-537-8185
Injuries that Can Occur in Drunk Driving Accidents
Many different injuries can occur because of a driving while intoxicated accident. Some of these include:
- Traumatic brain injuries (TBIs): A TBI is a head injury that occurs when the victim bumps or experiences a blow to the head that impacts their brain function. These injuries range in severity, but they are a leading cause of death and disability in the United States. Car accidents account for 20% of TBI-related hospitalizations, the second leading cause behind falls.
- Internal bleeding: This injury is typically a symptom of another injury, such as damage to the brain or internal organs. Severe hemorrhaging, which can occur because of a serious car accident with an intoxicated driver, can quickly become life-threatening.
- Fractures: Fractures, also known as broken bones, are common in car accidents because of the extreme force involved during the collision. In most cases, after medical treatment, these injuries heal perfectly fine without complications. But there are situations—such as if the bone breaks through the skin—when the victim may experience additional problems, such as severe bleeding or infection.
- Spinal cord injuries: A spinal cord injury is often catastrophic for the victim and their family. Because the spinal cord is responsible for relaying messages from the brain to other parts of the body, an injury to the spinal cord often causes loss of sensation or paralysis. Some people can live full and productive lives with this type of injury—however, the majority will require wheelchairs and other assistive devices.
- Whiplash: This is a common injury after a rear-end collision. It occurs when the head moves rapidly back and forth. Usually, it does not cause any long-term damage, although most people require treatment from a medical professional.
These are just a few examples of the types of injuries that can occur in an accident with an intoxicated driver. If you or someone you love suffers injuries because of an intoxicated driver, a Gulfport driving while intoxicated lawyer may be able to help you hold them responsible for their behavior. Contact the Morris Bart law firm today at (228) 357-9621 for a free review of your case.
Damages You May Recover After an Accident with an Intoxicated Driver
There are a number of damages that plaintiffs can recover in accidents with an intoxicated driver. While a Gulfport driving while intoxicated lawyer cannot estimate your specific damages without first evaluating the details of your case, some damages that plaintiffs have recovered in similar cases include:
- Medical costs
- Pain and suffering
- Disfigurement or dismemberment
- Property damage
- Lost wages
- Future wages if earning potential is lost
- Out-of-pocket expenses
If your loved one died in the accident, your family may be entitled to compensation in a wrongful death claim. Some of the damages you may be able to recover include:
- Funeral and burial expenses
- Pain and suffering
- Loss of consortium
- Loss of support and protection
- Out-of-pocket costs related to the care of the victim before their death
- Medical expenses left to the family to pay
A Gulfport driving while intoxicated lawyer can help you pursue damages when a drunk driving accident costs someone their life.
Punitive damages are awarded not to compensate the plaintiff further but to punish the defendant. While they are uncommon, the judge can choose to award them, particularly in cases where the defendant’s behavior was especially egregious.
Click to contact our Gulfport Personal Injury Lawyers today
How a Gulfport Driving While Intoxicated Lawyer Can Help
At the Morris Bart law firm, we believe it is our responsibility to protect victims of drunk driving accidents and to hold the liable party accountable for their actions. We can investigate your accident and gather evidence to help build a strong case. We can also calculate the full value of your case, including your pain and suffering, to pursue a fair settlement for your accident. Contact the Morris Bart law firm today at (228) 357-9621 for a free, no-obligation review of your case or to have us get to work right away on your Gulfport driving while intoxicated claim.
to find a Morris Bart office near you.