A Baton Rouge bicycle accident attorney from the Morris Bart law office will meet with you for free to discuss your legal options after a car-versus-bike crash in East Baton Rouge Parish. If you or a loved one suffered an injury in this type of incident, our lawyers are here for you.
Our injury law firm provides free, no-obligation consultations for victims and their families. You may be able to hold the at-fault driver legally responsible for the accident and recover money to pay for your medical care, lost income, and more.
Methods for Holding the At-Fault Driver Legally Liable for a Bicycle Collision
To get justice for our clients in a bicycle-versus-car collision, we usually try to negotiate an acceptable settlement with the at-fault driver’s insurer first. This requires us to gather evidence to support the claim and demand a just payout based on the value of their losses.
If it is best for the outcome of the case, we may consider suing the at-fault driver or other liable parties. This generally takes longer and is more expensive, but the result may be worth it, depending on the case’s details.
No matter which approach is best for the case, we will pursue the same damages for our client. This includes a range of expenses and losses they incurred because of the crash and their injuries. Common examples are:
- Medical treatment and care costs, current and future
- Lost income
- Reduced ability to work and earn
- Property damages, such as replacement of the bicycle
- Pain and suffering
- Other intangible damages
- Wrongful death damages as allowed for surviving family members under La. Civ. Code Art. 2315.2
For a free legal consultation with a Bicycle Accident lawyer serving Baton Rouge, call (225) 341-5694
Morris Bart, LLC’s Baton Rouge Office Handles Bicycle Accident Injury Claims
The Morris Bart law office in Baton Rouge represents clients hurt in all types of traffic accidents, including bicycle collisions. We have more than 40 years of experience navigating the claims process in Louisiana and recovering damages for crash victims.
We understand how difficult it can be to manage an insurance claim, especially if you are still undergoing treatment and healing from your injuries. We can develop the claim, determine damages, and get a fair settlement. We will handle this process for you while you focus on getting better.
Our clients count on our team to take the essential steps to prove, file, and close their insurance claims. This includes:
- Investigating the traffic accident and gathering evidence
- Building a strong argument that shows negligence and liability
- Working with experts as necessary to prove the claim
- Valuing the case’s damages
- Preparing and filing paperwork
- Demanding a fair settlement
- Managing all communications and negotiations with the insurer
While we occasionally need to take a case to trial, we recovered compensation for more than 6,500 clients in 2019 alone. These case results included a $430,000 award for a bicycle accident victim in New Orleans.
An attorney from our New Orleans office pursued a case against the driver who caused the crash and held them responsible for the client’s injuries, including a skull fracture, head injury, broken hip, and eye and ear injuries. Like all our cases, we handled this case based on our contingency fee. Our attorneys only billed for fees from the compensation recovered in the case.
The Morris Bart law firm operates 15 locations serving all four states in the Gulf South:
Alabama, Arkansas, Louisiana, and Mississippi. This includes our Baton Rouge office, located at:
5555 Hilton Avenue #555
Baton Rouge, LA 70808
Baton Rouge Bicycle Accident Lawyer Near Me (225) 341-5694
Proving Negligence and Liability in a Baton Rouge Bicycle Crash Case
When we handle a claim for a client hurt in a bicycle accident, our attorneys navigate the process, including the evidence necessary to prove:
- What caused the crash
- Who is liable for it
- That the accused party acted negligently
- The value of our client’s damages
We can prove the at-fault driver acted negligently and is, therefore, legally responsible by showing four things:
- Duty: The driver had a duty to do something, usually following a traffic law.
- Breach of duty: They failed to do what the law required.
- Causation: Their failure led to the collision.
- Damages: Our client suffered injuries, expenses, and losses.
We understand the common ways these accidents occur. We commonly see clients hurt by:
- Distracted, drowsy, or drunk drivers
- Speeding drivers
- Motorists who failed to leave enough of a buffer when passing
- Unsafe lane changes or not checking the adjacent lane
- Turning without looking for cyclists, especially in a bike lane
- Running a red light or stop sign
- Failure to yield when turning
- Following too closely
We also have experience handling traffic accidents with a wide range of injuries. Bike crash victims may suffer a broken arm and scratches or could have catastrophic injuries that affect their lives. We manage each case on its own merits and base it on its own damages. For this reason, we can help clients seek compensation based for:
- Traumatic brain injuries (TBIs)
- Spinal cord injuries (SCIs)
- Other neck and back injuries
- Other head injuries
- Internal injuries
- Broken bones
- Soft tissue injuries
- Burns and scarring
While most cases settle without a trial, we may need to sue the liable party if the insurer denies the claim, or the filing deadline is close. Under La. Civ. Code Art. 3492, Louisiana law usually only gives an accident victim up to a year to act. Some cases may have exceptions that shorten the deadline.
If we are not close to a settlement by the first anniversary of the collision, we will need to sue to preserve the right to do so.
Morris Bart, LLC, Provides Free Case Reviews for Accident Victims
The Morris Bart law office in Baton Rouge offers complimentary consultations for bicycle accident victims and their families. Speak with a lawyer from our team today for free. We will address your rights, options, and next steps. We also can offer advice about moving forward with your case and answer your questions.
Call (225) 341-5694 now to talk to a lawyer for free.
Questions?Call (225) 341-5694
to find a Morris Bart office near you.