Commercial trucking is a booming business in the United States. According to the most recent data from The American Trucking Association, the industry set a new record in 2014 by generating $726.4 billion in revenue. In 2015, the number of truckers on the road increased to 3.5 million – a jump of nearly 3 percent from the year before. Many of these trucks pass through Lafayette and the surrounding area everyday.
Unfortunately, more 18-wheelers on the road means there is a higher risk of getting in a commercial motor vehicle accident. In 2015, 3,852 people died in large truck wrecks – the highest death toll since 2008, according to the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety.
Victims who are lucky enough to survive often face an uphill climb to recovery. In addition to the emotional trauma and physical pain, crash injuries can cost a veritable fortune in medical bills and lost wages.
If you were injured or lost a family member due to a negligent truck driver in Lafayette, you may be entitled to compensation. A Lafayette auto accident lawyer from Morris Bart, LLC will evaluate your collision, interview witnesses, assess the police report and doctors’ records, and determine if you have grounds for a claim. Schedule a free consultation today by calling 800-537-8185.
Take These 5 Steps Immediately after a Truck Accident
Fatigue, distractions, drunk driving – there are countless causes of truck accidents. Unfortunately, passenger-vehicle occupants tend to suffer the worst of the impact. According to the IIHS, 69 percent of people who died in large truck crashes in 2015 were passenger-vehicle occupants while only 16 percent were occupants of large trucks. The remaining 15 percent were pedestrians, bicyclists and motorcyclists.
If you are injured or lose a loved one in an 18-wheeler wreck, it is critical that you know what to do after the collision. Responding appropriately can save lives and put you in a better position to recover compensation if you make a personal injury claim.
For a free legal consultation, call 800-537-8185
Here are five steps you should take after a truck crash in Lafayette:
- Look for Injuries: The top priority after any accident is to seek medical attention. Check yourself and other people for injuries.
- Call the Police: If somebody was hurt, then request emergency medical assistance. Even if your injuries do not seem serious, you should still contact the police. An officer will compile an accident report, which your personal-injury attorney can use to prove negligence and liability.
- Take Pictures: Photos of the crash scene can tell the story of how the collision unfolded. Your auto accident lawyer may use photographs to support your claim.
- Visit Your Doctor: Doctors’ records will help your attorney tie your injuries to the wreck and prove damages.
- Contact a Personal Injury Attorney: An auto accident lawyer will gather evidence, interview witnesses, calculate your damages and help you fight for the highest possible compensation.
At Morris Bart, LLC, you will find a personal injury attorney with the knowledge, resources, and litigation experience to represent your interests. Call 800-537-8185 to schedule a free initial consultation with an auto accident lawyer in Lafayette.