Filing a personal injury claim and determining liability after a Dothan truck accident can be challenging, if not impossible. Yet you must identify the liable party and create a strong case against them to earn fair compensation for injuries.
Truck accident injury claims differ from those of typical vehicle crashes. Besides proving liability and creating a solid case, you’ll have to maneuver a complex regulatory landscape to ascertain the relevant laws and prove negligence.
The most effective way to avoid the complexities is to hire an experienced Dothan truck accident attorney from Morris Bart law.
Why You Need an Experienced Dothan Truck Accident Lawyer
Truck accidents are way different from regular crashes in terms of the law. If you’re the victim, you must prepare to heed vast legal considerations. Further, truck accident claims are relatively more valuable than regular car accidents.
Trucks Are Heavily Regulated
Complex laws (state and federal) govern the trucking industry. For instance, it’s compulsory to register and comply with the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) rules. These require specific maintenance, driver qualifications, logbooks, and annual inspections.
Drivers must also comply with hazardous material regulations. If they don’t, you may have a case against them.
Determining Who Is Liable
Several crucial factors must be evaluated to prove liability after a truck accident. This is because several parties could be liable, each tasked with preventing, maintaining, and avoiding any instance of negligence. For example, if brake failure caused the truck accident, the potentially responsible parties may include the driver, the mechanic, or the trucking company.
An attorney can perform an investigation to determine and prove fault.
More Complex Insurance Policies
A single truck may have more than one insurance policy covering the car, driver, trailer, and/or cargo. It’ll be overwhelming to handle the different insurers, each prioritizing its profits over your best interest.
Without adequate representation, these companies might exploit you and offer low-ball settlements. They may also attempt to stall the case hoping they can convince you to accept that lower amount.
Road accidents involving trucks often lead to substantial bodily harm. Also, the level of property damage will be higher than what would happen in a standard car accident. Apart from the physical implications, the accident could also terrify and shake up survivors and their family members.
Based on the severity of injuries and property damage, a truck accident will have relatively more damages, leading to higher-value claims that the at-fault party or insurance company will likely contest.
You Need an Appropriate Strategy
Some truck accident claims in Dothan are negotiated through arbitration or mediation or resolved in court. All these could offer a fair settlement, but you need to know which solution works best for your situation.
Choosing a practical strategy will be difficult if you lack sufficient law knowledge and don’t have an attorney representing you. But with an attorney’s guidance, you can take the appropriate course of action to fight for fair compensation.
For a free legal consultation with a Truck Accident lawyer serving Dothan, call 800-537-8185
The Benefits of Involving a Truck Accident Attorney in Dothan in Your Case
The primary reason to let an experienced Dothan truck accident attorney fight for you after an accident is to fight for fair damages. Generally, they’ll help your case in the following ways:
- Gathering sufficient evidence builds a strong claim against the responsible party. A reputable truck accident lawyer in Dothan will obtain the required facts to prove the other party’s liability.
- Insurers have probably reached out to you after sustaining the injuries and tried to make you say things you’re not supposed to. A Dothan truck accident lawyer will establish a line of communication with the insurer to ensure you are treated fairly.
- Your lawyer will find the evidence to prove the negligence of the responsible party.
- Negotiating skills are necessary when discussing a possible settlement with insurance adjusters. A reputable lawyer knows how to find the claim’s worth and negotiate to their best level for the best outcome.
- You may not be able to appear in court if you’re recovering. Fortunately, your lawyer can represent you whenever you can’t make an appearance.
Determining Liability After a Commercial Truck Accident
The trucking industry is substantially massive and may involve various entities. The driver you’re trying to hold accountable may not always be the one to blame after a crash. Generally, potentially liable parties may include:
- Truck driver –You can hold a motorist who caused a truck accident due to fatigued driving, speeding, distracted driving, or drunk driving liable under the law. But if a maintenance issue caused the accident, they may be exempt.
- Truck company – The FMCSA has unique guidelines for trucking companies to adhere to. When a company breaches the rules and causes a wreck, it’ll be liable for the resultant damages.
- Vehicle owner – The owner can be held accountable if they fail to perform regular maintenance on the truck.
- The shipping company or cargo loaders – These individuals must secure heavy loads correctly and in line with federal laws. Poorly loaded cargo could throw the vehicle off balance and cause an accident.
- Part manufacturers – If a defective part or vehicle caused a truck accident, you can hold the vehicle or spare part manufacturer accountable. This applies to steering failure, tire blowouts, or transmission failure.
Let an Experienced Attorney Help You File Your Claim Before the Deadline
Alabama’s statute of limitations gives you two years (from the accident date) to file a claim seeking compensation for the suffered damages. If you fail to adhere to the timeline requirements, the at-fault party and insurance company may use this against you, and the claim’s ruling may be in their favor.
Contact Morris Bart for Help Today
The experienced Dothan truck accident attorneys at Morris Bart are ready to represent you and guide you through the process of filing a claim for a truck accident in Dothan. Contact us today for a free evaluation.
to find a Morris Bart office near you.