Numerous elements determine truck accident settlements and verdicts; hence these cases are relatively complex and high-value. Victims face innumerable hurdles when seeking compensation, and it’s easy to make mistakes that could affect your claim.
The best way to go about the settlement process is to seek guidance from an attorney who understands such cases deeply. Fortunately, reputable Morris Bart’s law firm lawyers are ready to guide you aptly, defend your rights, and beat all odds to get your deserved compensation.
This guide has everything you need to know about truck accident settlements and verdicts. You’ll also learn why you should involve an attorney immediately.
What Determines Your Truck Accident Settlement and Verdict?
The law doesn’t set a specific truck accident settlement amount or claim verdict. Instead, the case outcome and the amount you’re entitled to will depend on several factors and relevant compensation elements.
Your attorney will create a detailed list compiling the damage estimates. They’ll classify the elements into:
Your attorney will highlight the tangible losses resulting from the accident–economic damages. You can easily calculate these documented costs by assigning each item an actual dollar value. Examples are:
- Any medical expenses related to the accident
- Cost of repairing and replacing damaged items
- Lost income
- Lost earning capacity
- Additional lifestyle adjustment costs
Ensure you keep track of all receipts and cost documentation related to the accident. These are crucial pieces of evidence and will help you win substantial compensation.
Your compensation will also include the relatively subjective non-economic damages. They include the actual harm you’ve suffered; hence harder to assign a dollar amount. It’s more difficult to calculate them, and the court will rely on specialist insights. They include:
- Your injuries
- Reduced enjoyment of life
- Pain and suffering
Your attorney understands the valuation and will fight for fair compensation to ease your recovery and give you peace of mind.
Though rare, the court may issue this as a punishment and warning against malicious actions or extreme negligence. So if the person you’re trying to hold accountable knowingly and intentionally ignored safety regulations, you may receive additional compensation.
For a free legal consultation, call 800-537-8185
The Challenges Involved in Truck Accident Claims
Compensation claims involving trucks are relatively more complex than typical car accident claims. They’re unique, and victims must heed to vast legal considerations. Moreover, they’re worth relatively more. As such, it’s hard to achieve what you deserve if you don’t partner with an experienced truck accident lawyer.
The Sector Is Heavily Regulated
The trucking industry has complex regulations like the Hazardous Materials Regulations and those set by the FMCSA (Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration). These additional hurdles make it difficult to determine every factor of the accident claim.
Attorneys, insurance adjusters, and the court will review different factors to determine fault after an accident. But in a truck accident, several parties could be at fault. This is possible because distinct individuals are responsible for the prevention, maintenance, and negligence.
Complex Insurance Regulations
Trucks have unique insurance policies with different terms from typical automobiles. Several insurance companies cover the trailer, primary vehicle, and driver, and handling all these parties at once can be a tricky affair.
The damages after a truck accident can be pretty extensive, and the injuries severe. The truck accident settlement is usually high-value; hence the at-fault party will deny responsibility or blame you partly. Also, being businesses, the insurance companies will strive to cut costs, and adjusters will do everything to downplay to frustrate your efforts and restrain the damages.
You Need a Unique Strategy
Typical vehicle accident claims are settled through mediation, arbitration, or court. But if it’s a truck accident claim, you’ll need a unique strategy that covers every element of the case. Without sufficient knowledge of the law or process, it’ll be challenging to achieve this.
There Are Strict Deadlines in Truck Accident Cases
Each US state has its unique deadline for filing a personal injury claim, known as the statute of limitations. So time is essential. For instance, the deadline for Mississippi and Arkansas plaintiffs is three years, Louisiana one year, and Alabama residents must file their claims within two years.
Based on the above circumstances, it’s evident just how difficult it can be to file a claim yourself and get the deserved compensation. That’s why it’s advisable to involve an experienced attorney in the case.
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
The Importance of Involving an Experienced Truck Accident Lawyer in Your Case
Truck accident claims are relatively complex. These cases are high-value and involve numerous complex elements. There are also innumerable regulations that could affect your claim.
Fortunately, all the challenges won’t bother you if you let a professional in law guide you through the claims process. Involving an attorney will help your case in the following ways:
- Evidence gathering – Based on the high-value nature of these cases, you must provide sufficient evidence of the other party’s negligence, your injuries, and any property damages. Collecting all these can be difficult while recovering, but an attorney will gather the necessary evidence for a strong case.
- Protecting your rights – Insurance companies will frustrate your efforts to get what you deserve. They may also delay you so you can accept a lower amount. Your attorney will be your shield, always defending your best interests.
- Communications with insurers – It’s common for insurance adjusters to make people say something that can cripple their claim. But an attorney will always guide your interaction with them to prevent exploitation.
- Comprehensive guidance – A truck accident settlement claim is complex, especially to anyone who doesn’t understand the process or rules. But you won’t make mistakes if you work with a lawyer, and your decisions will always be informed.
- Complex negotiations – Successful settlement negotiations call for specific knowledge and skills. Your attorney will use their experience and comprehension to fight for the best possible compensation.
- Court representation – It’ll be challenging to attend all court sessions when recovering, but your attorney will relieve you from this.
An Experienced Truck Accident Attorney Is Ready to Help
Have you suffered injuries and property damage due to a recent truck accident? Do you need adequate representation from a dependable attorney who’ll help you get justice? You don’t have to search anymore.
Morris Bart’s law firm is home to reputable attorneys with vast experience in truck accident settlements and verdicts. We charge on a contingency basis, so we’ll only deduct our fee from the compensation after the verdict. What’s more, we’ll evaluate your case at no cost, so call today.
to find a Morris Bart office near you.