Chalmette truck accident victims may be eligible to pursue a payout based on their injuries and other accident-related damages. If you can prove the truck driver’s careless or reckless actions caused your accident and injuries, you can likely recover a payout by filing an insurance claim or personal injury lawsuit. A Chalmette truck accident lawyer from Morris Bart, LLC can help. Call (504) 613-4771 today to reach an attorney. We will review the facts of your Chalmette accident for free and help you decide the best way to move forward.
Damages Available Through an Insurance Claim or Lawsuit Based on a Chalmette Truck Accident
When we pursue compensation in a Chalmette truck accident case, we collect evidence of our client’s accident-related injuries, expenses, and financial losses. We use this evidence to support our claim or prove the losses in court. A negotiated insurance settlement or court award should cover some or all of the documented damages, which may include:
- Current and future medical care related to your accident injuries.
- Current and future lost wages from the time you missed work.
- Diminished earning capacity if you cannot return to your previous job.
- Property damages, including replacing or repairing your vehicle.
- Pain and suffering damages.
- Mental anguish.
- Other damages we identify during our investigation.
If a member of your immediate family passed away in a truck accident in Chalmette, Louisiana, you may also be able to pursue and receive wrongful death damages based on the facts of your case. We can explain eligibility and handle this process for you as well.
For a free legal consultation with a Truck Accident lawyer serving Chalmette, call 800-537-8185
Understanding the Causes of Chalmette Truck Accidents
There are many ways that a truck driver can cause an accident. We can investigate your case and discover what led to your accident and injuries. We can build a compelling case to show the truck driver acted negligently, and you deserve compensation for your injuries. Some common causes of truck accidents include:
- Speeding: Speeding or driving too fast for the road conditions causes many accidents, especially when a tractor-trailer truck can weigh up to 80,000 pounds and these trucks are difficult to stop.
- Unsafe lane changes: Making lane changes or turns without checking blind spots can cause truck accidents.
- Driving impaired: There are strict federal laws imposed by the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) that regulate testing for alcohol, prescription drugs, over-the-counter drugs, and illicit substances.
- Driving drowsy: Drivers must follow strict rules and keep rest logs to show they do not work beyond the time allowed by the applicable hours of service laws.
- Driving distracted: Distractions inside the cab of the truck or outside of the truck can cause the driver to turn their attention away from the road. Cellphones, radios, and other devices are common distractions.
If the truck driver who caused your accident broke a traffic law, violated a federal regulation, or otherwise acted negligently, we can likely pursue a case for compensation on your behalf. Let an attorney from Morris Bart, LLC review your case today. Our free case review can help you understand your rights and decide about taking action in your case. Call (504) 613-4771 now to learn more.
Chalmette Truck Accident Lawyer Near Me 800-537-8185
Taking Action To Hold the Trucking Company Liable After a Chalmette Truck Accident
When we review your Chalmette accident case, we will first consider whether there is likely to be enough evidence to prove that the truck driver acted negligently and caused your accident. If the basic facts of your case support this, we will generally offer to handle your case based on contingency. If you allow us to represent you and handle this process on your behalf, we will then go to work proving your case and identifying the liable party or parties. Thanks to a legal doctrine, respondeat superior, we can usually hold the truck driver’s employer liable under Louisiana Civil Code 2320. This liable party could be:
- A trucking company
- A distributor
- The company who owns the truck
- The company who owns the cargo
- Another large corporation
Once we know the liable party, we will secure the evidence necessary to support your claim and, most likely, file an insurance claim based on the liable party’s insurance coverage. This insurance coverage is often a large corporate liability policy with higher limits than an individual driver would generally carry. We most commonly reach an out-of-court agreement with the insurance company when we are able to recover compensation for our clients. However, we will take your case to court if needed to prove your Chalmette truck accident case. Call Morris Bart, LLC today at (504) 613-4771 to discuss your case with one of our truck accident attorneys.
Time Limits on a Chalmette Truck Accident Lawsuit
Louisiana Civil Code 3492 sets the statute of limitations on Chalmette truck accident lawsuits. Under this section of the civil code, victims generally have one year from the accident date to file a personal injury lawsuit. If they miss this cut-off, they will lose the right to take legal action related to the accident. As soon as your injuries allow, reach out to our team to learn more about your legal options.
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
Talk to a Chalmette Truck Accident Attorney Today for Free
If you were the victim of a tractor-trailer accident in Chalmette or elsewhere in Saint Bernard Parish or southeast Louisiana, a Chalmette truck accident lawyer from Morris Bart, LLC will review the facts of your case for free. Our team may be able to file an insurance claim or lawsuit and recover a payout on your behalf. Call (504) 613-4771 now to discuss your accident, injuries, and other facts of your case with an attorney who understands. We know how to pursue vicarious liability and recover compensation based on Louisiana law, and may be able to secure damages in your case.
to find a Morris Bart office near you.