If you have been injured in an accident involving an Uber driver, you can seek compensation for your injuries through the personal injury claims process. While this process can involve a lawsuit in civil court, the vast majority of personal injury claims are resolved through a negotiated settlement before they ever see the inside of a courtroom. An experienced Uber accident lawyer from Morris Bart can answer the legal questions you have about your claim.
We can assist you in obtaining an Uber accident settlement that fairly compensates you for the expenses and psychological impacts you incurred as a result of your injury.
Who Is Eligible to File a Personal Injury Claim After an Uber Accident?
There are many scenarios in which a person can become injured in an Uber accident. Those who are eligible to file a personal injury claim are those who are injured as a result of someone else’s negligence. Possible claimants in Uber accident cases include:
- The passenger of an Uber vehicle who was injured as a result of an accident caused by the Uber driver’s negligence
- The occupants of other vehicles who were injured because of the Uber driver’s negligence
- Other roadway users, such as bicyclists, motorcyclists, and pedestrians
- The passenger of an Uber vehicle, an occupant of another vehicle, or another roadway user who was injured by the carelessness or recklessness of another driver
- The Uber driver who was injured as a result of the negligence of another driver
For a free legal consultation, call 800-537-8185
Is Uber Liable for Accidents Caused By Its Drivers?
Due to the way the company classifies its drivers as independent contractors rather than employees, they shield themselves from much of the liability for the actions of their drivers. However, while Uber requires all of its drivers to be insured to at least the minimum coverage level in the state where they drive, the company does provide a third-party liability insurance policy that comes into play in certain circumstances.
As reported by Uber, their “million-dollar policy” works like this:
- If the driver app is off when the driver causes an accident, their personal auto insurance liability coverage applies.
- If the driver is online and waiting for a ride request when they cause the accident, Uber provides coverage that includes $50,000 per person for bodily injury; $100,000 for bodily injury per accident; and $25,000 for property damage.
- If the driver is picking up or transporting a passenger when the accident occurs, Uber’s coverage includes $1,000,000 in third-party liability.
Do You Need an Attorney to Negotiate an Uber Accident Settlement?
It is not uncommon for an adjuster from the at-fault party’s insurance provider to offer a quick and low settlement very soon after the accident, particularly if liability clearly fell on their insured. Many people take this as a sign that they do not need to speak with an attorney about their claim because the adjuster will take care of them. However, it is important to understand that the adjuster works for the at-fault party’s insurance provider, who has an interest in reducing your claim in order to avoid a big payout.
In order to do this, they will often use tactics such as offering a settlement that is worth far less than the value of the claim. If you do not yet know what your injury is going to cost financially and physically, accepting a settlement offer without the guidance of an attorney is often a mistake. Because settlements are final and entering into a settlement agreement with the liable party’s insurer means your case is resolved, if you later discover that the amount you agreed to was not enough to fully compensate your injury, you will be unable to go back and ask for more money.
An Uber accident attorney from Morris Bart can properly value your claim based on the severity of the injury you incurred and the expenses and impacts you’re facing now, as well as those you will likely face in the future.
What Is the Average Uber Accident Settlement Worth?
No two personal injury accidents are alike, and neither are Uber accident settlements. Some of the factors that can impact the amount of compensation you can receive for your claim include:
- How much insurance is available. Your attorney will work to determine all sources of liability and accessible insurance resources in order to obtain the highest level of compensation available.
- The severity of your injury. More severe injuries generally result in higher expenses and more profound psychological impacts and those must be accounted for in determining the value of your claim.
- Your patience with the process. While insurance adjusters often offer a settlement fairly quickly, getting them to offer a settlement that fairly compensates you is often a different story unless you have an attorney on your side.
Getting the Best Settlement After an Uber Accident
As one of the most prestigious law firms on the Gulf Coast, we have more than 40 years of experience with negotiated settlements. Let us put that experience to work for you as we help you obtain the maximum settlement for your Uber accident. For your free case evaluation, contact us.
to find a Morris Bart office near you.