The holidays are a wonderful time of year. But millions of drivers will hit the roads this holiday season, in bad weather or with distractions on their mind, making it potentially very dangerous.
People travel much further than normal during the holidays, so it’s important to be aware of the dangers of long distance driving and unfamiliar surroundings.
Whether you’re staying in Birmingham or driving cross-country, we want you to have the safest holiday possible.
Here Are a Few Safe Driving Tips to Make Your Long-Distance Trip a Smooth One
- Ensure your vehicle is properly maintained. If maintenance is not up to date, have your car and tires inspected before you take a long drive.
- Map your route in advance. It is a dangerous combination to drive in an unfamiliar area, while also looking at a map on your cell phone or on paper for the first time.
- Do not text and drive. Pull over or just wait.
- Keep your speed down. We southerners are not used to driving in winter weather. Assume others around you are in the same position.
- Make sure you and children are properly restrained. Kids under 12 should ride in the back seat. Know the stages of when children can graduate from the rear facing car seat, to forward facing, to a booster.
- Don’t drink and drive. If there will be drinking at your holiday get-together, choose a designated driver who will remain alcohol free.
- Relax while you’re driving. The holidays can bring with it other stress and pressure, whether it’s financial, family or just trying to do too much.
- Pay attention on the road. Check travel advisories before you leave and be aware of poor driving conditions, on the road and in the skies.
- In case of an emergency, keep a cell phone and charger with you at all times.
If you are injured through not fault of your own during this holiday season, contact a Birmingham car accident attorney at Morris Bart.
To find out more about safe driving this holiday season, read our Guide to Safe Driving During the Holidays.
We wish you a wonderful holiday season, and safe travels!
to find a Morris Bart office near you.