Workers’ compensation is a type of insurance that provides benefits to workers who become injured or ill on or as a result of the job. In the event of any traumatic injury or occupational illness that occurs in the course of work, you may be entitled to workers’ compensation benefits. Unfortunately, employers routinely deny claims, even when they’re legitimate.
At Morris Bart law firm, we have protected the rights of injured workers for more than 40 years. Our Southaven workers’ compensation attorneys can help you resolve this dispute and get you the compensation that you deserve when you have been injured at work. Get in touch with us today for a free consultation.
When do You Need a Workers’ Compensation Lawyer in Southaven for Your Claim?
Workers in Southaven Mississippi are exposed to all kinds of hazards at work on a daily basis. The employer has a duty to provide a safe working environment for all workers, but accidents do happen. If an employee suffers injuries or becomes ill on the job, they may be eligible for workers’ compensation benefits.
Depending on how your employer or their insurance company goes about handling your workers’ compensation claim, you might need the help of a Southaven workers’ compensation attorney. You have to contact a workers’ compensation attorney if:
- Your employer is delaying your claim or is not moving it along in the appropriate manner. A workers’ compensation claim shouldn’t take more than 30 days to process.
- Your injuries result in a permanent disability that prevents you from being able to return to work. Claims involving serious, long-term injuries are highly likely to be contested by the company’s insurance provider due to the amount of money involved.
- Your employer states that the accident didn’t occur at work. This is more likely to happen in the event of an injury that took time to become serious or illnesses that result from chemical exposure over a long time.
- Your employer’s insurance company denies your workers’ compensation claim. Insurance companies routinely deny claims for dubious reasons, and this is when you should enlist the services of an experienced workers’ compensation attorney.
For a free legal consultation with a Workers' Compensation lawyer serving Southaven, call 800-537-8185
How a Southaven Workers’ Compensation Attorney Can Help Your Case
Your employer and their insurer are not looking out for you; they are all about protecting their bottom line. You need someone who can go toe to toe with the insurance company and its horde of lawyers in your corner, i.e. an experienced workers’ compensation attorney. Here’s how a workers’ comp attorney helps your case.
- Evidence gathering. One of the most common reasons workers’ compensation claims are denied is the lack of sufficient evidence. An experienced workers’ compensation attorney in Southaven will help you develop strong medical, vocational, and other evidence to support your case.
- Settlement negotiations. From low-ball offers to bogus final offers, an experienced workers’ compensation attorney knows all the negotiating tricks and tactics used by insurance companies. Your attorney will negotiate with your employer’s insurance company on your behalf to reach a fair settlement.
- Legal representation. If both cannot agree on a settlement, your case will proceed to trial before a workers’ compensation judge. Your attorney will represent you at your workers’ compensation hearing or trial. If you don’t like the decision, your attorney will help you file an appeal.
- Advice on third-party claims. An attorney can advise you about your potential eligibility for other benefits. In addition to the workers’ compensation claim, you might be able to file a personal injury claim against another party other than your employer if their negligence contributed to or caused your injury.
Southaven Workers' Compensation Lawyer Near Me 800-537-8185
Common Work-Related Injuries and Accidents You Can File a Claim For
In the event of a workplace accident, seeking legal advice will help ensure that your employer’s insurer doesn’t deny your workers’ compensation claim. A Southaven workers’ compensation attorney can help with all types of injuries resulting from workplace accidents. The most common work injuries are caused by:
- Motor vehicle accident
- Slips and falls
- Falls from height
- Equipment malfunction
- Electric shock
- Being struck by an object
These workplace accidents can easily lead to broken bones, head injuries, spinal cord injuries, hearing loss or damage, electrocution injuries, et cetera. Employers can prevent most if not all of these injuries by taking the proper precautions and adhering to OSHA’s guidelines.
Workers’ Compensation Laws in Mississippi
What does the law say about workplace accidents and workers’ compensation claims? In Mississippi, you are entitled to partial wage replacement if you lose time due to an injury sustained in the course of work. The coverage also includes medical expenses related to the injuries or illnesses that you suffered on the job.
After suffering an injury in a workplace accident, you are required to report the injury to your employer within 30 days from the date of the incident. If you are going to pursue a workers’ compensation claim, your injuries must first be examined by a doctor approved by your employer and then proceed to file your claim.
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
When to File a Third-Party Lawsuit
Due to Mississippi’s no-fault workers’ compensation law, you cannot file a personal injury lawsuit against your employer regardless of their role in the accident. However, if your injuries were caused by malfunctioning equipment, a defective tool, or you slipped and fell at a remote worksite, you may be able to file a third-party lawsuit.
Your attorney will file a personal injury lawsuit against the manufacturer of the malfunctioning equipment or the owner of the unsafe work site for negligence. An experienced workplace compensation attorney will advise you on when to file a third-party lawsuit for injuries sustained at work.
Get Help from an Experienced Workers’ Compensation Lawyer in Southaven
Even though you may be entitled to a workers’ compensation, the state’s straightforward no-fault process can sometimes present some unexpected challenges. Your employer’s insurance provider may contest or deny your claim, and you need to challenge their unfair decisions. However, navigating the workers’ compensation system alone can be very frustrating.
Hiring an experienced and knowledgeable workers’ compensation attorney gives you the best chance at getting the compensation you deserve. At Morris Bart law firm, our Southaven workers’ compensation attorneys will work very hard to ensure that you get the compensation you deserve for your injuries. Contact us today for a free consultation.
to find a Morris Bart office near you.